| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which Hilton volume pedal?
Ronald Peery

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2023 9:55 am    

I’m fairly new to the world of pedal steel and I’m currently looking for a solid volume pedal. I’ve pretty much decided on going with a Hilton pedal, but wasn’t sure which one to get. I read on the Hilton website that the Pro Guitar model is designed for standing guitarists, but have any of y’all had experience using the pro guitar model for pedal steel? I’m just curious if I need to buy the standard model or if the pro guitar would still work fine? Apparently the standard model and the pro guitar model are the same size so I’m wondering if there are any real reasons why it shouldn’t be used for pedal steel? Any feedback is appreciated.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 May 2023 11:15 am    

Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Pedal steel, get the Pedal steel model.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 May 2023 11:34 am    

I assume you have looked at the photos and have seen that the output jacks are on the inside of the pedal. Most pedal steelers like to have those jacks out of the way on the outside of the pedal.

If I were you, I'd send a message to Keith and ask him to explain the differences between the two pedals and ask for his recommendation. He can tell you why or why not to choose the guitar pedal version.
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 19 May 2023 1:14 pm    

Why are you even looking at the pedal designed for guitar players? Is there some factor we don't know about that is driving your decision?

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2023 1:39 pm    

Paul Sutherland wrote:
Why are you even looking at the pedal designed for guitar players? Is there some factor we don't know about that is driving your decision?

I was considering the pro guitar model because I know someone who is currently selling a used one for a decent deal. I’m wanting to buy used and the pedal steel model seems to be a bit more scarcely available in the used marketplace than the pro guitar model. Lastly, I also play 6 string guitar and have a pedalboard and was thinking I could use it for both guitar and pedal steel.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 May 2023 3:23 pm    

The front-mounted jacks can be a problem if you like to fasten the pedal to the pedalboard via a mounting bracket. If you don’t use a mounting bracket for your pedal, the guitar model will probably work okay.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 May 2023 4:02 pm    

https://www.hiltonelectronics.com/pedals

The guitar version has input and output jacks on opposite sides which is what I was referring to in the earlier post.

The output cables might get in the way of your feet, especially for a D10.

The guitar version also has an adjustment for travel stiffness and an off point.

I would bet if none of these are a hindrance for you, this pedal would work and sound just fine, but as I suggested earlier, you should get in touch with Keith. He will give you the best advice.
Jamie Howze

Boise, ID
Post  Posted 19 May 2023 7:51 pm    

Another consideration with the pedal steel version is the low profile option. Depending upon ankle flexibility, steel type and your posture one or the other may be a better fit.
Marshall Woodall

New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2023 8:52 am    

Not being an owner of any of the Hilton's I too have been curious and thinking about the Pro Guitar Model. The way I see it, the Pro Model will allow you to use any of the myriad of 9v power supplies that we all seem to have floating around. Because the warranty on these pedals is relatively short, it wouldn't hurt to modify a used pedal to your liking. It seems the housings are all milled the same and that it would be fairly easy to move jacks/knobs to whatever side you would prefer them on. The other plus for the Pro Unit is the "pre fade" tuner output which would seem to be much more handy than a second amp output. There it is, I just talked myself into it.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 May 2023 11:42 am    

Other than the 9VDC power I don't see a real reason to use the Pro model with pedal steel. The angle of the (movable) tread is designed differently. The steel guitar model is designed for sitting and playing steel, the Pro model is designed for standing and playing. Apples and oranges.
Marshall Woodall

New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2023 1:10 pm    

That would be the rub, if the actual pivot points were different when comparing the standard to the pro.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 May 2023 1:52 pm    

If anyone read Ronald's last post, it is noted that he also plays guitar. The pro guitar pedal has a stiffness adjustment that puts more tension on the treadle so that it has more drag. Most guitar players prefer a pedal that doesn't move quite so easily. It just feels different when standing v. seated.

I guess it depends on which compromise is going to work best for him.
Bob Sykes

North Carolina
Post  Posted 21 May 2023 8:42 am    

I use a Pro Guitar VP for PSG 90% of the time (using right angle plugs on the left) and like it jessfine. The accessible "on point" knob on the side is useful. I also like that I can power it along with my pedalboard from a single LiPo battery pack.

I have read on this forum that the 9V pedal has less headroom than the 24V model and can distort with hotter PSG pups. I do not experience this but my setup is a little unconventional. I use a Matchbox between the PSG and the (active) VP. I use an A-B switch before the VP with a shoulder guitar plugged straight into it. So I am mostly "matching" the PSG volume/tone somewhat with 6-string when using the same rig for double duty.

I realize the "matchbox" name refers to impedance matching which is moot with the Hilton VP. I like having a vol/tone control on the PSG for easy tweaking but....topic drift.

The difference in pivot point mechanics is inperceptible to me, but I am a gear nomad and almost as confortable with my Ernie VP Jr. I tend to use my older Hilton VP with "long term" setups like home studio mainly because of the attached large (Motorola) PSU.

Here's some comparison pictures with some other VPs that you may be using.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=248945&sid=7f410e64f161464d744ce9819805a0a0
Brandon Mills

Victoria, TX. USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2023 6:10 pm    

I use the “Pro Guitar” model. The primary benefit for me is being able to power without a different power supply. I know Keith has modified some when ordered from him to have all jacks on the right side. My understanding was that the axle is positioned the same, but with adjustable tension.