| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  FrankenBud or?? What is it?
Neil Harms

Ionia, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2023 6:03 pm    

Anyone care to weigh in on what this is? Mismatched end plates. Lots of interesting details to observe. I didn’t get a picture of the pedal rack. Two pedals, one knee. Thoughts?
Neil Harms

Ionia, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2023 4:58 am    

Neil Harms

Ionia, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2023 5:14 am    

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 May 2023 5:34 am    

Franken', for sure. There's a lot I haven't seen but I think that I'm seeing a Sho-Bud permanent changer. I think I'm seeing Emmons pp brackets underneath? Not sure if those are Bud or Emmons bellcranks. I don't think I've ever seen a cabinet with an inlay strip on the top surface. Looks like a decent job of cobbling together parts from a variety of sources.
Neil Harms

Ionia, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2023 6:00 am    

I’ve seen a Marlen with this style inlay on top. Definitely some push-pull bell cranks in there. The circuit on the end looks like a tone knob with a switch to put it in or out of the circuit. Made in Mexico AB pot in there. I’m thinking the cabinet is Marlen and maybe one endplate? The rest looks like Sho-Bud permanent parts. Hoping others will chime in.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2023 7:04 am    

Right. This was NOT built at the Sho~Bud factory; so therefore it is NOT a Sho~bud; no matter how many ways you "Label" it.
This is homemade with parts(looks pretty good). Yes Sho~bud did sell just parts through all the years to customers as they were truly a Custom Shop.
Ricky
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2023 8:48 am    

Another Ghost Sho-Bud appears long before Halloween.
A Dudes Mixture of parts. A Frankenstein for sure.
Looks like the chrome name is from an old S-B Amp.
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2023 5:20 pm    

There is a lot about this guitar so familiar that I feel like I have worked on it at some point. Yes Shot sold a lot of parts to people building their own. Some features say Leonard Stadler. The hole drilled part way thru the crossroad is a technique we secured bellcranks on the first Cherokees.

Ionia, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2023 5:42 pm    

Hey Ricky! Hope all is well. I agree. Definitely not a real Sho-Bud but certainly "Bud-Adjacent".

Clyde, that's a really interesting observation. I thought the underside looked much newer than the keyhead and changer. Think they are similar in age?

Also wondered about the changer fingers being so many different lengths. I've never gotten my hands on a "permanent" before so don't have a frame of reference there.

Does anyone have pictures of a S-10 permanent to compare? That would be interesting I think.

I got it all set up today, tuned up the 9 strings that were on it and discovered the stops were still virtually spot on. Plays really smooth with very soft pedal action. The pickup is hot. Really hot. Sounds to me like that biting lap steel sound where the top end breaks up and really bites. I'm planning on extending the legs and rods and making it where it can be configured to be played standing up. Did another one like that quite some time ago and wish I'd kept it.

Thanks everyone! This is fascinating.
Neil Harms

Ionia, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2023 5:46 pm    

Neil Harms

Ionia, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2023 5:49 pm    

Apologies for the crummy photos but the shadows were a pain to deal with.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2023 3:38 am    

I have a S10 Marlen, and it has the exact same body as the one pictured. That guitar looks like it was assembled from a large pile of parts that someone had on hand.. Not bad in any way if it plays ok and stays in tune...To my eyes the pedals look like the old larger sho bud pedal that have been trimmed down.. Pull parts look like generic decent quality pull/release parts.. They don't look like Marlen parts to me, but I do know that mr. Stadler did use a few different types of pull parts over his years building, so who knows... It is what it is, if it plays good, sounds good, it IS good!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......