| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone recall NORM ENGLISH ?
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2002 7:23 am    

I was just sitting here reading the Forum when, for some unknown reason, my thoughts went to (the late) Norm English. Any of you folks ever have the pleasure of meeting, playing with, or hearing this guy? He was affectionately known as the "Victor Borge of the steel guitar". Whenever he showed up at a steel guitar convention, you never knew what crazy fun he would churn up on stage. He had his own sound and technic but above all, a great sense of humor. He built crazy guitars and would play them on stage...his infamous 2 x 4 which was about 6' long, or his latrine-o-guitar made from a toilet seat were but two of his wild creations. His comic routine would include the dopler effect along with "sounds" so high, only a dog could hear them as he kept his audience in stitches of laughter. I had the joy of his friendship and performing with Norm who was also a good el/bass player. On the serious side, he was an outstanding steel guitar teacher and one of the early pioneers associated with the Oahu Publishing Company.

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 06 July 2002 at 08:25 AM.]

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 06 July 2002 at 09:36 AM.]

Eric Stumpf

Newbury, NH 03255
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2002 5:19 pm    

I never met the man but his legacy lives in the form of Norm English (English Electronics) lap steels. Every now and then I come across one of these cute guitars. They appear to have been made by Valco and are nicely finished....unexceptional tone, unfortunately.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2002 12:14 pm    

Norm made steel guitars from his home. I doubt the instrument you have was made by him. Then again....??????
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2002 8:11 pm    

I believe , that I remember Norm English teaching in Lansing , MIchigan.....al
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2002 10:04 pm    

That's where he lived most of his life and also taught. Norm died far too early...he was a great guy to know.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2002 8:10 pm    

Yes, he lived in East Lansing, MI and did most of his teaching there also. He was quite a character and had a great sense of humor.
Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2002 9:44 pm    

Yeah, when I lived in Lansing during my college years, Norm English had his studio on Michigan Avenue, seems like it was somewhere in there by Pennsylvania Avenue or maybe east of there. Kind of a household name in that area. By that time though most of the few steelers around Lansing were on pedals, playing country music, and Norm was old school, no-pedals and not so much of a "country" player and I don't recall him being real busy although every picker in town knew him or knew of him. But hey, that was 30 years ago and my memory isn't what it should be either. Like old Waylon used to say "I got a helluva memory but it ain't very long".
c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2002 2:01 am    

Norm told me the story of his radio show on WABA in Wabash,in the Wabash Room of the Wabash Hotel, along the banks of the Wabash River in Wabash IN, and his most requested number was Wabash Blues.
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2002 10:22 am    

Yes, Tim he was quite a Humorist. I only met him once, when I sat in with a Country Jam in Lansing with my 6 pedal Electra-Harp about 1950?
His teaching business did very well if I remember.
Yes, we all played "Wabash Blues" in those days...al

[This message was edited by Al Marcus on 29 July 2002 at 11:25 AM.]