| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Distortion in an Empress Tape Delay
Peter Leavenworth

Madbury, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2023 9:19 am    

I have this tape delay in my pedal board just to add a hint of delay, which has been fine for a few years. But now it appears to be adding some overdriven breakup in my sound no matter how the delay is set. The only other effect in my pedal board is a Black Box and I've isolated all the components to find that it's the delay that's distorting. It only does it with certain string combinations but it really is intolerable. Anybody who knows more about this than I do have any idea how a working delay might develop this defect? I will likely be contacting the company in Canada but I thought I'd start here.
2008 Zum D-10, 1996 Mullens PRP D-10, 1974 Emmons D-10, 1976 Emmons D-10, early 70s Emmons GS-10, Milkman Sideman head w/Telonics 15" speaker, 1966 Fender Super Reverb, 1970 Fender Dual Showman head, Wechter/Scheerhorn and Beard Dobros, 1962 Supro lap steels, Gibson 1939 RB-11 banjo, Gibson 1978 RB-250
banjo......and way too much more
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2023 10:03 am    

i had the same problem with my wampler faux tape echo so i got rid of it. i think the steel guitar pickup is too hot for certain pedals.

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2023 10:32 am    

Karen Sarkisian wrote:
i had the same problem with my wampler faux tape echo so i got rid of it. i think the steel guitar pickup is too hot for certain pedals.

Yep, it's true
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2023 10:47 am    

You don't say what your signal chain is, but I suspect you are running your effects before the volume pedal. Besides the fact that real echo and reverb don't work that way at all, doing so requires your effects units to constantly face the high output of your steel guitar pickup or Black Box. This will inevitably induce clipping at peak moments and ultimately reduce the life of the unit.

If your amp has an effects loop try using it as so:

P/U > SGBB > AMP IN - FX OUT > DL > FX IN

If not the best you can do is hook up your rig thusly:

P/U > SGBB > VP > DL > AMP IN

Either setup reduces the input level of your effects unit significantly versus that of the full- on, pre-VP pickup or Black Box. By tracking your volume pedal rather than being suppressed by it your effects will sound more natural AND run at levels more like that which they were designed for.