| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Little Roy Wiggins Model
Boo Bernstein

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2002 11:34 am    

I have been interested in getting an 8-string lap steel. I just saw in the Elderly Instruments catalog that they are selling a Morrell Little Roy Wiggins model for $325. Does anyone have any experience with these -- how is their sound and playability? Interestingly, it doesn't have a tone control.

As long as I'm asking, do they still make 10-string Melobars -- that would be fun to own as well.

Look forward to the input. Thanks in advance. Boo
John Hanusch

Benson, AZ USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2002 7:37 am    

Boo, my 2cents worth -- go for the Melobar. The Morrells are compact & relatively lightweight, but the tone is lacking. I've a Roy Wiggins model (beautiful maple) that I modded with Stringmaster type bridge, nut & single repro p/u and with strings-thru-body. It sounds better(similar to a Stringmaster with one p/u ). Maybe a Lawrence p/u might help it??
Anway, it's for sale for half-price of a new one, if interested.
Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2002 9:38 am    

I have a Morrell Little Roy model, and my 2 cents also is to get the Melobar. The Morrell is light and compact like John says, but personally, I find the string spacing too tight. If you want an inexpensive practice guitar, and if you're used to the tighter string spacing (more like you'd find on pedal guitars), the Morrell may work for you; but, hindsight being 20/20, I wouldn't have purchased mine...it's been resting in its case under my bed for about 3 years. Again...only my two cents worth.
Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2002 1:34 pm    

Boo
Take a look at West Coast Steels Hawaiian model. I have one and it has outstanding tone. Maple body, brass nut and bridge, through the body stringing and a GL 10-1 pickup. The web site is: www.westcoaststeel.com.
David Siegler

Mill Valley, CA USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2002 4:45 pm    

I think Tom meant to send you to West Coast Steels via this link: http://www.pedalsteel.com/westcoaststeel/

it would be pretty cool if there was a lap steel on the "Samples of Our Work" page for the link he used!
Kevin Ruddell

Toledo Ohio USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2002 7:49 am    

Boo , I have the Little Roy Wiggins 8 string lap steel by Morrell and it comes with a very low output pickup which sounds much, much better plugged into a direct box before your amp to get the output level up to line level. I use a SansAmp active EQ direct box, but a $40 Whirlwind Imp direct box would probably do just as well. John's offer of his guitar with improved bridge and pickup sounds like a sweet deal. The string spacing is 5/16 " as compared to my Regal Dobro's 3/8". I'm not sure how much the Melobar 8 string lap models cost although they have a fine reputation.
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2002 10:12 pm    

I had a Morrell S-8 Little Roy Mod. I found that you can improve the sound somewhat by pulling that white plastic nut out of there and replacing it with an aluminum one! I no longer own the guitar, but it sounded better when I left it than it did when I first got it! No need to keep it under the bed! John
Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2002 11:18 am    

Thanks for the tip John! I may give that a try. I've always said that axe isn't doing me any good under the bed, but I'm not much of a handyman type. Did you have the aluminum nut special made?