| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wanted: PSG U.S.N. Band Country Current
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 6:59 am    

Received:

The United States Navy Band announces an immediate vacancy for Pedal Steel Guitar in Country Current. The live audition will take place at the Washington Navy Yard in Washington, D.C. on Wednesday, May 31, 2023, and is by invitation only, following recording review. Applications and recordings must be submitted by Friday, April 21, 2023.

Formed in 1973, Country Current is the United States Navy’s premier country-bluegrass ensemble. This nine-member band employs musicians with extensive recording and touring experience in the music scenes of Nashville, New York, New Orleans and more. They perform a blend of traditional and modern songs in both the country and bluegrass idioms. They have performed at the Grand Ole Opry and for every president from Jimmy Carter to Joseph Biden. A staple of the bluegrass scene, they have shared the stage with music luminaries including Rhonda Vincent, Dailey and Vincent, Mountain Heart, Little Roy Lewis, Third Time Out, The Lonesome River Band, Josh Williams, J.D. Crowe, Doyle Lawson, Ned Luberecki, Chris Jones and many others.

Starting salary is $73,056 - $78,096. Other benefits include 30 days paid leave per year, full medical coverage for members and their dependents, and education benefits such as tuition assistance, the G.I. Bill, and student loan repayment up $65,000. Those selected for positions in the U.S. Navy Band are advanced to the paygrade of E-6 (Musician First Class) following recruit training, under a contract for permanent assignment to the U.S. Navy Band, Washington, D.C.

All applicants must be aged 18 to 41 and otherwise qualified for service in the U.S. Navy. Please note that the Navy has strict requirements with regard to medical readiness and physical appearance.

To apply please visit our website at https://www.navyband.navy.mil/career-opportunities/usnb-auditions. For more information about Navy Band auditions, email usnbauditions@us.navy.mil (please include name of the ensemble and instrument in the subject line) or contact the auditions supervisor at 202-433-2840.

Very Respectfully,
Madilyn Crossland
Musician 1st Class, United States Navy Band
Peabody Institute MM '19
Chapman University BM '17
madilyncrosslandmezzo@gmail.com
madilyncrosslandmezzo.com
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 7:45 am    

A demanding gig: those guys are excellent! It isn't just my advanced years that disqualify me for this job!
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 9:55 am    

I received the message also and passed it along to one of our outstanding young players.

It seems to me that this is a fantastic opportunity for someone meeting the qualifications.

Maybe some of our members here who have held the position would post some of their insights as to the experience.
Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 7:13 am    

Stationed in Seattle, Wa., my active duty tour as a Navy musician was in 1976-80. So sharing my experiences from those years may differ from current Navy musicians. As a “fleet” musician, pay grade/rank was not automatic like new musicians who join the U S Navy band in Washington DC. Some points to consider

1) I believe current applicants are required to attend the Navy's music school upon completion of boot camp. When I joined, “A” school was waived

2) Current members must compete for rank/pay advancement by taking music exams

3) Their current advertised pay scale probably excludes marital and dependent status

4) If a new member has a growing family, you can't assign a dollar amount for medical and dental costs, those are included with said benefits

5) As with any gig, there are politics, just deal with it as you'll plenty of time to grow you music paper smarts and steel expertise.

6) If you stay in for 20 years, you'll earn a lifetime monthly retirement check along with provided health care for you and your spouse. Upon retirement, you may consider to retain a day gig which will certainly increase your monthly social security payments upon FRA. Combining social security + ur monthly military retirement check + any accumulated IRA $'s = a not so bad monthly payMe check!

7) Cost of living around Washington DC is pricey but somewhat more affordable if you find a place to live south of Woodbridge VA

I'm sure I missed a few other particulars, maybe other former or current military members will chime in...Oh, I highly recommend said gig offer, I'd try out again, but my status as FRA would disqualify me Laughing
Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 7:30 am    

Doug, I remember posts here on SGF from a member in this or a similar military band with pics showing all the gear packed on a C17 (and some other pics) but unfortunately am not remembering his name.

I agree its a great opportunity for someone with the right age, mindset, and chops, but alas I am aged out also.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 7:42 am    

Current Country appeared at the Medora Musical while that was my regular gig each Summer. They made just a single appearance but I was amazed at their virtuosity and professionalism.

I wish I could remember the steel player's name! He was relatively young and played a new MSA that the Navy had provided.

There seems to be quite a turnover of personal! I don't recognise anybody 8n the present day line-up.

I vividly recall the banjo player back then, not his name, sadly, but his wonderful chops! This was maybe 015 or thereabouts.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 7:50 am    

Okay: it was 2015. Here's what I wrote. The names are there. Where's Pat Gulley now, I wonder?

"Current Country; US Navy band

Naples, FL
Post Posted 9 Sep 2015 9:11 am Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
....came to Medora, ND on Monday and performed at the Burning Hills Amphitheater where I'm the resident steel player for the Medora Musical.

I could go on for ever about how great this band is and it's unfair to single any of them out, but we were treated to seventy five minutes of great entertainment and inspired musicianship.

I met and talked with some of them before and after the show and had a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon.

I must make mention of Pat Gulley - their Nashville-based steel player - who was highly accomplished and got a great sound out of his (actually the Navy's) MSA Legend D10 and Little Walter amp rig. Pat - it was great to visit with you.

Keith Arneson played some of the best 5-string banjo I've ever heard and.... well, they were all outstanding yet worked together in a tight and cohesive manner. Kenny is a great front man and lead singer and the mandolin/fiddle player astounded me.

Their sound-man was excellent and lifted the appropriate levels with great precision so that each player's fills were spotlighted.

They're on tour right now. If you see them advertised then make a serious effort to go and see them. You won't be sorry.

To the whole Country Current team - thanks for relieving the tedium of a 100-night residency for me and the cast and band of the Medora Musical with your excellence!
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 6:10 pm    

My how times have changed! I was drafted into the Marines and Vietnam war. No guitars allowed, only M16s. But they furnished the M16s.
J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 7:04 pm    

Saw the Current Country Navy Band a few years ago at the Dallas Show. It was AWESOME, the steel picker was a tall, lanky young man (6'2') or more playing an old Emmons and he could burn the strings off of it. The Show was top notch. I cannot remember his name or any of their names but it was as good as you could ever see. If you get the chance to see them you want regret it.
J.R. Rose

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 9:24 pm    

JR that probably was Henry Johns. He was one of my students when I taught at ETSU. He's a fine young man and musician.

Tony
Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2023 7:14 am    

I saw the USN Country Current band at the Dallas show a few years ago. They played an incredible set. Henry Johns was the steel player.
Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2023 11:06 pm    

Yesterday, under the Forum topic, "The US Navy's Country Current Band.... ", I posted a few pictures that I took when this band played at the TSGA Jamboree in 2019. Yes, Henry Johns was their steel player.
J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2023 7:18 am    

Thanks All to your confirming the Steel Player in 2019 of the Current Country Band name as Henry Johns. I loved that Show better than anything I have ever seen and I have seen a few. I have not been back to the Dallas Show since then but will be this year on Saturday only. Looking forward to it very much.
Hope to see a lot of old friends and here lots of good steel music. My treat to me for turning 82 years old not long back.
Thanks To All, J.R. Rose