| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Guy
Les Grames

Utah
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2023 8:30 am    

New member introduction here, found this site looking to find Waylon Jennings steel player for “rainy day women “—never did find that steel player. But, found myself coming back to check out info and learning about steel guitars and the community who support steel guitars. Next thing I was researching affordable steel guitar manufacturers and found Justice Steels and purchased a 3-2. My Tudor has been Paul Franklin’s online, Modern Music Masters, courses. This contraption has definitely not been easy and it’s been a long process. I’m sure there’s players who probably pickup musical concepts easily but in my case this journey hasn’t been— I’m fortunate learning this instrument my life is not dependent on learning it, because I would have been executed for lack of progress.

This site has been valuable in all aspects: strings, restringing, bars, amps, speakers, picks, and everything else. I use “band in a box” for practice tracks. My biggest issue that will keep me from ever becoming the “OPRY’s” in-house-steeler is my total lack of rhythm—my dear wife reminds me of this when hitting the dance floors.

Thanks to bOb and to everyone else who make up the steel guitar community for your valuable insights and knowledge concerning this crazy/wonderful musical instrument.

Les

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2023 9:04 am    

If I understand your first question correctly, the answer to that is Ralph Mooney. He’s the one that played Rainy Day Woman and all the great Waylon Jennings songs of the 70s and 80s.
Congratulations on buying the Justice pedal steel. It’s an excellent choice.
KEVIN MAUL: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Les Grames

Utah
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2023 9:21 am    

Thanks Kevin

Post  Posted 26 Feb 2023 9:34 am    

A metronome is essential to help with your rhythm struggles.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2023 10:34 am    

Welcome Les! I play for a hobby now and enjoy steel guitar more than ever. You can check out Waylon Jennings on YouTube and should be able to see Ralph Mooney playing live with Waylon.

Check here and read the comments. You can hear Waylon say "one more Moon":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1vGoAQrkCY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2023 11:00 am    

Welcome Les. You couldn't have come to a better place for "all things steel guitar",and then some! I'm a "moon" fan myself. Carry on!
Craig Robson

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2023 8:21 pm    

Hey Les, I'm a relative newbie too, and you probably already know this-though I didn't- in the "steel on the web" section of this forum there is a pinned beginner post that links to Shane Frame's youtube channel which has a half dozen lessons based on Ralph Mooney and his outlaw country licks. I have found them very useful, and the instructional style is really friendly-wish I'd known about these earlier in my progression
anyway, welcome - and I hope this is useful, and I hope you love the Justice-Ron's a super guy
Les Grames

Utah
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2023 3:28 am    

Thanks all, I appreciate all of the advice and comments on the Great Ralph Mooney.

And now, out to my music studio (portion of my cold garage), to work on picking permutations.