| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association (HSGA) Website - Suggesti
Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2002 9:38 am    

Aloha all,

In addition to recently being appointed to the Board of Directors of the HSGA I am also a co-webmaster of the HSGA website (along with John Ely).
www.hsga.org

Questions:
1.What would you like to see on the HSGA website?

2. What would make you visit the website more often?

Anything else?

Email me if you'd like to elaborate in detail.

gbross@umich.edu

Mahalo,
------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website

[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 25 July 2002 at 11:49 AM.]

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2002 2:02 pm    

I'd enjoy seeing more authentic/original Hawaiian music and artists.

I'd visit for no other reason than to obtain a listing of all of Jerry Byrd's albums that were recorded AFTER his move to Hawaii. I mean, albums, of VOCALISTS on which JB played.

My vast collection of JB's works ENDED when he moved to Honolulu and I have hardly anything on which he recorded since that move there. I understand he recorded some 45 LP sessions with others artists. WOuld like to know who, what, why, etc. AND....
where they can be purchased or copies obtained of "out of print" albums.

That's just where I'm coming from. If that were available to me, I'd actually join the association.

Thanks.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2002 2:05 pm    

Aloha Gerald...Good luck on the site. My own thoughts...most of the forum thread replies are 2 years old and older. They have not been moved or deleted. Although I am a HSGA member, I prefer b0b's FORUM for current info., etc.
c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2002 3:23 pm    

ditto to keoki lake post cc
Del Rangel

Clayton, NC
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2002 3:33 pm    

Ditto, ditto. Forum could be more user friendly. Usually takes too long for something to post and messages regularly don't make it to posting it seems. Also, a monthly listing of Hawaiian Steel Music, and tab might be nice. How about selling some CDs as well.
oj hicks

Springville, AL
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2002 8:16 pm    

I enjoy the discussion of the sound, tone, playability, string spacing, scale lengths, pickup design, sustain features, etc of the variouls lap steels...both vintage and new instruments. I note some on the HSGA site that I was not familiar with. Also amplifiers favored, and why. Hopefully this can be discussed without offense and acrimony to those with opinions.

One previous post in this thread made reference to the long standing posts that need to be purged, or archived.

In addition to discussion of various gear, the discussion of tunings with chord charts, etc. All of this geared toward what the website is established for...Hawaiian music. Bob's Forum is the best I have ever seen for the issues outlined here...even for us "no peddlers." While much is discussed about Hawaiian music...there is also a lot of Western Swing (which we all love), Dobro music (also excellent). But the HSGA site would probably draw more if it was predominantly Hawaiian music. I like the suggestion to discuss current Hawaiian recordings which feature the non-pedal steel.

oj hicks
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2002 8:24 am    

This might be asking too much, but...

It would be cool to have a "Learn a Hawaiian Lick" section with short Quicktime movies (with sound) of the lick and a tab of it. Hawaiian "vamps" (turnarounds) lend themselves well to this, as they are short and there are literally hundreds to choose from.

Also, a gallery of old steels (acoustic and electric) and amps pictures and short explanations of each would be a lot of fun to look at.

There should also be a link to one of those sites that shows the fretboard for any tuning.
Frank Novicki

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2002 8:53 am    

The thing that would be most useful for a beginning steel player visitng the HSGA website would be tablatures of Hawaiian songs. When I took up Hawaiian steel about five years ago, I searched all over the place for non-pedal tabs. But with the exception of the Byrd tabs (which are the greatest) there's not enough quality tabs out there.
If the HSGA website could post Tabs (both in C6th for electric players, and in G for acoustic players) it would really help. I think there's no better way to demystify the instrument for a beginner. And if more people don't start playing this instrument soon, it's going to die out.
No offense, but most steel players aren't exactly spring chickens (myself included!)
Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2002 9:49 am    

Keep the ideas coming folks, all are appreciated.

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website

Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2002 12:51 pm    

Aloha Gerald -- man, you sure opened a big can O' worms on this one, huh? GREAT THREAD!!! I'm glad to see you're proactive in making the sight better and more user friendly.

Bill Leff hit on some of the same things I'd like to see:

The "Learn a Hawaiian Lick" idea is a FANTASTIC idea. And starting with Hawaiian turnarounds would be a great place to start. If the server isn't large or fast enough to do the movie clips, the next-best-thing would be a short 2-4 bar tab showing some new turnaround, idea or phrase. Maybe you could call it "Lick of The Week" or something like that.

I also think a gallery of old steel guitars (definitely BOTH acoustic and electric) and amps is a good idea. Maybe have a "Featured Hawaiian Steel" each week, too?

I think having weekly stuff like this would keep people coming back regularly (at least, I know it would for me), and also help educate, which is key. I think that promoting learning to play HSG is VITAL to keeping the art form alive.

Anyway, my 2 cents. YMMV.

TJW
Brand New HGSA Member
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2002 5:38 am    

The HSGA "forum" is your main problem......... personally I have posted 4 different subjects in the past two months and NONE have made it to the forum pages ...... the web site is not managed in any way more than a beginer on the web would manage his own personal site.In fact many personal web sites are much better than the HSGA's.
IMHO.
Sorry but that's how I see it !!!

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

http://www.waikiki-islanders.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/html/basil_bio.html

[This message was edited by basilh on 27 July 2002 at 06:39 AM.]

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2002 8:16 am    

Like Basil, I too have submitted to the HSGA Forum...never to see them posted, so I just quit looking in on the HSGA Forum. I went to it for the first time in ages when you were asking for suggestions. Nothing had changed. Same OLD threads, and mine were still missing. 'nuf said.