| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nat'l Dynamic/Special
Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2002 8:29 pm    

During a recent search for a decent 8 string lap, I came accross several National Dynamics (6) and Specials (Cool. These have got to be the coolest looking guitars made. Do any forum members play these? How do they sound. I feel like I gotta have one...

Not in the market just yet since I was hit in the head by two cool guitars "falling out of the sky" this week...must be a good week for lap steels to be falling out of the sky.

I would appreciate comments and will continue to watch for an "incoming" Special. By the way, has any body seen the cool Teisco 8 string on Ebay? 95 bucks so far. I found it by searching "slide guitar". I remember in high school hanging out at Thrifty's and picking the 30 dollar Teiscos for lunch.

Tom Jordan

edited for spellin'.......twice

[This message was edited by Tom Jordan on 24 July 2002 at 09:45 PM.]

[This message was edited by Tom Jordan on 25 July 2002 at 10:54 AM.]

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2002 5:46 am    

I own a National Dynamic and it's a fine sounding guitar. It sounds especially nice when overdriven - it gets a singing quality to it.
I just got the opportunity to play a 1953 National Special (eight string model) in perfect condition. It was a thing of beauty, with an excellent sound. Compared to my Fender Deluxe 8, it had a bit more bass in the overall sound; not as much of a "twang" to the sound as the Fender, but quite beautiful.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2002 6:21 am    

Wow, I remember those Teisco (6 string standard electric guitars) at department stores (not Thrifty's, but Fedco in Los Angeles). I was about 12 at the time and lusted after a particular silver colored solidbody model with a hole cut through the lower bout that I guess was used as a handle. That was a great era for really cheap, crappy electric guitars.

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2002 10:01 am    

Bill,

you're right about that...my first electric was a "cardboard" black/glitter Silvertone tele-type. Made cheep but if I remember right, sounded pretty good...I remember the Teiscos having trouble staying in tune and having really high action...my brother held on to his and they apparently became collecter guitars. Something about the punk-rockers liking them.

Tom
Gary Slabaugh

Scottsdale, AZ
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2002 6:01 pm    

I saw a swing group a year ago and the lead player had a silvertone and 50's clothes to match, he made that silvertone sound great. Maybe the cheap stuff in the 50's was made as good as the middling stuff today.
Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2002 6:27 pm    

I have a National Dynamic 6 string and it is a beautifull little lap steel. My favourite
actually. Has a fantastic sound.
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2002 1:06 pm    

Dick Sanft bought a National Special Double-8 last fall, and has used it on several jobs that we've done together. It sounds GREAT! But then I think, well of course it does. I'm sure if I strung baling wire to a 2x4 and stuck a crappy pickup under it, Dick could make THAT sound great, too! Most of that sound is right there in his hands and his finely honed technique.

I also agree -- those are great lookin' guitars, too!

TJW