| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal questions
Richard Tate

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2023 5:59 am    

Does the shape of the pedals have an effect on playing the pedal steel? Is there a standard distance between pedals?
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2023 7:55 am    

Good questions.

There is no standard for either pedal size, shape, or spacing, and there are several builders that have had different arrangements over time.

Narrow pedals and wider spacing leave more room for the feet to work but require the foot to move farther getting to them. Wide pedals and narrow spacing allow faster action between pedals but require more precision to play without inadvertently hitting unwanted pedals. Not such a problem with E9 system but an unfamiliar C6 setup can be frustrating, as there are more pedals to be caught on-the-fly and if they are not where one expects them it can be a challenge.

There are other concerns but these are the main issues regarding playability. My experience has been that adjusting from one setup to another gets easier with time.
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2023 8:16 am     Pedal size and shape effect on playing.

Mister Grafe, I'm sure, has stated his experiences and I'm pretty sure they are vast. I would say, Yes and yes, based on my own. I have known, now passed, players that could sit down to any steel and play them. That has not been my case. On a good day I'm 5 ft 4 inches tall and pedal shape and size AND adjustments have a tremendous effect on how or even whether I can use those pedals. I would have to say that if you are of average size, the NORMAL/AVERAGE steel pedal, would comandante you. Old Sho-bud pedals are a bust for me. Can't effectively use them. Emmons, Derby, Mullen and most "modern" steels, no problem with a little tweaking. There are a few VERY narrow that I have never sat behind. The size I've always liked best, was the Marlen, his latest. Of course, that's just my opinion.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2023 9:49 am    

It seems that using a single pedal makes no difference.

But when covering 2 pedals is where pedal size and pedal spacing is important.

I want 1 pedal under the ball of my foot, The second pedal solid under the left side of my foot.

If the pedals are wide apart and narrow, With 1 pedal under the ball of your foot, And the other is out under the sole of your shoe, You lose some control of the pedals.

If the pedals width is to wide or pedals to close together. I lose control of getting my foot rolled to get just one pedal at a time compressed, Without moving the other pedal.. Like B pedal for 7th or A pedal for Minor.
Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2023 12:28 pm     Pedals

My Excel has narrower pedals that require a certain shoe size, when I play on the cowboy boot band I use my wider pedal Sho-Bud Pro 1.. Shocked

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2023 12:13 pm    

I dunno, I suppose you can get used to anything. What works is what works for you! Personally, I do not particularly like the smaller “Chiclet-sized” pedals that seem to be all the vogue these days. We seem to have gone from the sublime to the ridiculous as far as size goes. Confused