| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  **help: tube amp preference question **
Scott McRee

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2016 12:40 pm    

Hey all,
I was wondering if you all could give me opinions of the best tube amp that's loud enough for a decent size bar gig with a fairly loud drummer, bass and harmonica, that doesn't weigh a boat load and is reasonably priced. To simplify, what are some loud tube amps that are not too expensive and not too heavy for pedal steel? Thanks a lot.
Scott McRee

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2016 12:41 pm     Speaker

Also, I don't mind changing to a neo speaker or neo speakers if that's what y'all suggest but would also like some opinions on the warmest roundest mellow tone speakers if I need to go that route. Thanks.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2016 1:57 pm    

Hey Scott , good question. My take, a 40 to 50 watt tube amp will give you good output with reasonable headroom. Under 40 watts may not give you the headroom you may require.

Problem is, there are not that many out there in this wattage category. Fender has the Hot Rod Deluxe which is 40 watts, one of my primary small gig amps, it can tend to be bright and at times shrill, but workable. Several folks are also using the 22 watt Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.

Amps such as Fender Silver Face Pro Reverbs are 40 or 45 watts with 2x12's , nice if you can find them.

Fender amp heads, Bandmasters, Bassmans, each in the 40 / 45 watt range, add a small 1x12 or 1x15 cab and you are good to go as well.

The thing about tube amps is , they require some iron, power transformers as well as the output stage, which adds weight. No gettin' around that. You want tubes? they require a bunch of DC voltage, 400 volts or more, with that comes the weight of transformers. Unlike solid state amps that live in the low voltage world and much lower weight.

Hopefully others will chime in with thoughts as well...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Scott McRee

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2016 2:24 pm     Agreed

Yea that's kind of what I've been noticing. It's a real shame someone doesn't come out with one. Tube amps are still so popular. I guess milkman has one and little Walter has a one but they're just so expensive. The little Walter sounds unbelievable. I have one but it's the head and I want a combo amp plus I'm trying to save some money so I need to sell it.
Scott McRee

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2016 2:25 pm     Opinions

Hopefully others will chime in with their ideas and solutions.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2016 2:32 pm    

Scott, give the Milkman Half and Half a try. By going to the class D power amp, it still sounds good and tubey, but with the 12" Telonics, it's under 30 pounds.
Scott McRee

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2016 2:53 pm     Combo

Is that a combo amp? Trying to minimize the amount of gear. Also, does that amp go for less than 800? Also, does the Webb 614 have good warmth to it? I'm looking for a more mellow tone. Ambient round full playing style. I prefer Not too harsh of highs of too much bite. Thanks guys
Scott[/list]
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2016 3:49 pm    

It's about twice 800,but it's a combo amp.
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2016 6:44 pm    

A lot of the older Mesa amps have big iron, lots of clean headroom, and even a graphic eq so you can notch out 750 Hz. Used ones should be in the 800 range.
Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2016 8:35 pm    

My '72 Silverface Twin is my go to steel amp. 85 watts of tube goodness is plenty for most gigs. It has been modified for adjustable bias and reverb on both channels. They're not lightweights by any means, but great amps. I had a head cabinet built and re-installed the guts myself. It lightened the load considerably. I have the flexibility of choosing speaker cabinets, depending upon venue and my mood. Of course that's not minimizing the amount of gear like you mentioned, but if you don't mind carrying the original combo version, it might be worth considering, especially if you also play six string guitar. It seems that asking prices for vintage Twins have dropped lately.

I also have a first generation Webb 614-E. It has plenty of warmth and is one of the best solid state steel amps ever made IMHO. The EQ allows you to dial in just about any tone you're after. A neo speaker reduced the weight to around 42 pounds. I've thought about selling or trading mine from time to time, but just haven't been able bring myself to do it.
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2016 10:51 pm    

They make and sell high power, light weight, low cost tube amps with great reliability and superb tone here:

You're simply not going to get everything you're after in one amp. Clean and powerful tube amps can be had for $800, but they are heavy, period. There are lots of lightweight solid state amps that sound really good with plenty of power if weight is the primary concern. Lots of powerful but inexpensive amps if cost is most important, etc. I think you're going to need to prioritize a bit. So:
- good tone
- good power
- light weight
- low cost

pick two or three

Wink
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2023 4:20 am    

If it's tubes you want but you don't want to pay for boutique gear your best bet is a Fender reissue amp, there are several built around the original AB763 circuit. Either the 45 watt "64 Vibroverb" or 85 watt "65 Twin Reverb Custom 15" can be loaded with a JBL K130 for best-in-class sound and durability. 60-65 lbs with the K130, about 6 lbs heavier with the tolerable 15" "Fender Custom Design by Eminence" that ships from the factory.

Vintage models of these amps in working condition will run you $5k plus.
Brian LeBlanc

Falls Church, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2023 9:37 am     Pro Reverb

Just used my 1969 Silverface Pro Reverb last week for first time with a ShoBud...

Sound'd fan-tastic at 4... touch of Reverb

but somehow i'm 65 and amp evidently gained weight just sitting on shelf for last 10 years...
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2023 12:36 pm    

It's not really the amp you're looking for; it is the Guts to get rid of ANY musician that is Screaming/Over-powering the normal conversation of music on the stage. That is just STUPID when you can't hear the singer; which is the CORE/Start of the "SONG&dynamics" and then the other musicians have normal volume musical conversation with that singer....and you have some DORK hitting his DRUMS(or other dorks), way over the top of that conversations that now he has NOTHING to do with. Get rid of that.
You do not need to play/hear that way; you will not and cannot progress music that way. Find a band where they ALL are having the SAME musical conversation.
Ricky
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2023 12:55 pm    

Another Milkman Half & Half fan here. I went for the 15" option, and it's as clean and loud as you're ever going to need. At 30-ish pounds it's a breeze to carry around. Big bux, but your back will thank you. My Milkman is the reason the Twin-Reverb Custom 15 and the Session 500 stay at home and the Milkman lives in the back of my gear-truck.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2023 1:09 pm    

What Ricky said. ^_^

Ricky Davis wrote:
It's not really the amp you're looking for; it is the Guts to get rid of ANY musician that is Screaming/Over-powering the normal conversation of music on the stage. That is just STUPID when you can't hear the singer; which is the CORE/Start of the "SONG&dynamics" and then the other musicians have normal volume musical conversation with that singer....and you have some DORK hitting his DRUMS(or other dorks), way over the top of that conversations that now he has NOTHING to do with. Get rid of that.
You do not need to play/hear that way; you will not and cannot progress music that way. Find a band where they ALL are having the SAME musical conversation.
Ricky

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2023 1:19 pm    

Fender's reissued 64 Vibroverb (45 watts) and 65 Twin Reverb Custom 15 (85 watts) are both solid reproductions of the original AB763 circuit amps with 15" speakers. Around $1600 new, about half that used. I have happily played club and outdoor shows with both, the OEM "Custom Eminence for Fender" speakers do a fairly good imitation of JBL D130F, although real JBL alnico drivers are significantly lighter.
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2023 3:40 pm    

I'd want to echo Scott's questions about neo-type speakers. I've thought it was unfortunate my TR Custom 15 was, despite sounding great, too heavy to comfortably move around, and it might get some stage time if it could be made more portable.

So can anyone talk (ballpark) about the weight savings of a good-sounding lightweight 15 over the factory Eminence JBL-clone?
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2023 4:35 pm    

Dave Hopping wrote:

So can anyone talk (ballpark) about the weight savings of a good-sounding lightweight 15 over the factory Eminence JBL-clone?

A K130 weighs 15 1/2 lbs which is several pounds lighter than the Fender OEM ceramic clone, with improved sensitivity and an extra octave of high end response

If you can get your hands on the new TT15 neo you can cut about 14 lbs off the OEM driver while improving high end response and sensitivity, albeit not as much as the K130.

Good luck, that's an excellent amp.
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2023 8:21 pm    

Thanks, Dave! Very Happy