| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My Experience With The Emmons Guitar Company
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2023 1:41 pm    

On Thursday, my family and I went to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee to stay at the DreamMore Resort hotel, and I thought about how great it would be to go to Emmons Guitar Company to see the shop. So, Friday morning, we got in the car and drove towards Sevierville, where the Emmons Guitar Company is. We drove until we saw the big Emmons sign outside the shop, and got out of the car. When we got in the shop, a guy named Kaleb introduced himself to me, and we started talking about steel. I noticed several Emmons steels in there, as well as a Sho-Bud Super Pro, a Franklin D-10, a Fender steel, and also a Carter steel. So, after talking with Kaleb, within two or three minutes he said, "Why don't you try out this steel"-the steel was a 1994 Emmons D-10, so I told him I wasn't sure what bar to use, so he hands me a Shubb bar that I couldn't handle too well, so then Kaleb said, "Try out this other bar". The other bar was round with part of it being stainless steel while the other parts were coated-it was a white bar called the Eezzee bar, and amazingly, it was easier for me to handle, so I sat there, seeing how I could play "Look At Us" on the Emmons D-10 with the Eezzee bar, and, even though it was round, it was easy to use! There were no Emmons ReSound '65 models on the showroom floor, except for the first one ever built that they called "The Dark Horse" and they had one that was in the shop on its way to the Opry. I also met a steel guitarist named Junior Mercer-he now works at Emmons and I learned recently that he had played steel with Lorrie Morgan at a show in 1997. My experience with Emmons was awesome, and I think I found what my next steel bar will be! In the back of the shop, there was a big picture of Buddy Emmons and the steel that inspired the ReSound '65
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2023 2:30 pm    

Great story and picture, Brett, I also like the pickup in the shot, I have 1995 long bed that is my main machine. Hope you had fun at the shop!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2023 6:32 pm    

Good story Brett. I like happy stories. J.R.

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2023 5:00 am    

Nice Story and good find on the tone bar. Too bad Emmons doesn't keep a demo model on the floor. I would surely want to test drive a Resound during a visit.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2023 8:08 am    

Good story, Brett.

I'm glad you got to meet Junior Mercer; he lives right in that area and is an old friend of mine. He's a fine player and extremely knowledgeable about the maintenance and setup of steel guitars. They're lucky to have such a resource nearby!

It's hard for me to travel these days but I intend to make it to Sevierville to see my friend Junior and, of course, to get a glimpse of the new Emmons guitars and their premises.

I just have to locate a hemodialysis clinic in the locality.
joe long

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2023 9:56 am    

As always a great job Brett.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2023 5:07 pm    

Larry Dering wrote:
Nice Story and good find on the tone bar. Too bad Emmons doesn't keep a demo model on the floor. I would surely want to test drive a Resound during a visit.

They were working on a ReSound '65 in the back of the shop that was going to a steel player who was playing the Opry Friday night. They keep the first new Emmons in the showroom.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2023 6:52 am    

I got to play the new Emmons in the showroom a couple of days ago. Excellent playing and sounding instrument. If you get a chance, go by for a visit. It was a great experience and I am very excited to have a new S10 coming.
Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2023 11:14 am    

Great story Brett my wife & I usually make the trip to that area once or twice a year the places we go to are normaly on her list, think there will be one added to that list Laughing Laughing

Barry

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2023 4:53 pm    

I stopped in on Thursday. Well worth the trip. You are made to feel very welcome and the information is very interesting and informative.