| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  6 string lap steel tuning
JAMES BANKS

Mineola,TX USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2002 6:13 pm    

What is the best tuning for a 6 string lap steel when the new player is a 6 guitar player? A friend of mine has one he wants to tune up and play with. I have a 10 string pedal steel but have never played a lap steel but I have played a dobro, tuned in G.
Thanks for the help

------------------

Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2002 6:47 pm    

I would tune it the same as the Dobro G, but up to A major instead (E-C#-A-E-C#-A). Or, you might find E major fun, too (E-B-G#-E-B-E). E major is the tuning Leon McAuliffe originally recorded "Steel Guitar Rag" in.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2002 8:38 pm    

Personally, I'd go with the E Major tuning. It is very melodious and easy to pick up. Some of the greats of yesteryear, (Dick McIntire, et al) were exponants of this tuning.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2002 8:46 pm    

Since your friend already plays standard guitar, I would suggest starting with an E tuning:

1. E .014
2. B .018
3. G# .024
4. E .030
5. B .036
6. E .056

It will seem familiar to him because the open strings are tuned like the "E shape" guitar chord, and the major chords are found on the same frets as the "E shape" bar chords on standard guitar. It's good for rock and blues, but there is no full (3 note) minor chord available. Your friend may soon be searching for a tuning that has more chord voicings... minors in particular. That's where a 6th tuning comes in. E6 or C6 would work well. There's more instructional stuff available for C6.

It seems like lap steel players need to become adept at several different tunings. That's how Jerry Byrd teaches... he takes the student through several tunings. It's a good way to learn about theory, chord construction, and harmony.

------------------
My Site/Instruction | Doug's Free Tab | Steels and Accessories

[This message was edited by Doug Beaumier on 22 July 2002 at 09:53 PM.]

Tony Harris

England
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2002 3:28 am    

My humble opinion, as a relatively recent convert from guitar - the E tuning will be quick and easy, especially for simple rock and blues, but you'll soon want to find a minor chord. I'm with Doug - the C6 is a great tuning, containing easily accessible majors, minors, maj7ths, min7ths, etc, and with slants, augs and dims and more. Good for straight country, western swing, Hawaiian and jazz...you just have to remember your open chord is C, and learn the positions from there.
Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2002 5:15 am    

I'd have to agree on the 6th tuning for options. I prefere A6 because the voicing is pleasing to me and the the frets match the pedal-down position of the E9 neck...I know, your friend is a guitar player but if he gets a lap he'll be messin' with your pedal next!...also, this tuning works well with "off the shelf" guitar strings.

* "Off the shelf" meaning your guitar bud can grab a set of regular slinkys or medium electric guitar strings and slap them on...they're not to slack or tight.
Tom Jordan

[This message was edited by Tom Jordan on 23 July 2002 at 07:19 AM.]

[This message was edited by Tom Jordan on 23 July 2002 at 07:29 PM.]

JAMES BANKS

Mineola,TX USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2002 2:53 pm    

Brad, you can close this thread now. Thanks for the help guys, I think I have enough to keep him busy for while. Thanks again