| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  66 Bucks!!
Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2002 7:25 pm    

I'm the proud new owner of a 1949 Supro #V17803 via E-Bay for 66 bucks! I'm jazzed because I've been looking for a small packable road guitar. The finish looks good but the seller says the pick up might need to be repaired...I think Herbie could probably help out in that department. We'll see when it arrives.

For you guys that play these, what would be a good replacement pick up if it comes to that? I'll be tuning to A6 (C#,A,F#,E,C#A)and playing mostly western, swing & "Hank".

Also, will I destroy the 66 dollar athestics by putting on real tuners?...I promise that I wont throw the old ones away but save them for the next owner when I get my LRW Morrel 8 string...probably put on a tele input jack also...but I'll save the original chord.

Any input would be welcome. I've been playing the pedal since 1983 but crave that old timey sound. I usually play my B6 neck w/o pedals just for that flavor.

Anyways, I'll have something to play while I'm traveling.

Thanks,

Tom Jordan
Gary Slabaugh

Scottsdale, AZ
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2002 10:44 pm    

That Supro is cheaper than a speeding ticket. Those old supros were strong, so if the pickup can be fixed that might be the way to go. I am not a purist so if you can improve the tuners, and they are cheap, then go for it.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2002 8:05 am    

Often on those old SUPROS, someone who thinks he knows all about p/u's will remove the top plate. Those little end magnets may fall out, and could get put back in reverse polarity. One of my students had this experience...his guitar was gutless, it still had sound but no zap at all. I took it home and discovered the problem...wow! It sure came back to life!
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2002 9:54 am    

If the original PU is unworkable, I once asked someone for advice with a cheapo 6 string lap I had gotten on ebay and he suggested that a Tele type bridge PU is what he would use. Haven't gotten around to it yet.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2002 3:34 pm    

Congratulations on the deal! You can definitely put on workable tuners without affecting the guitar's collectibility. Replacement Kluson-style tuners should run you around $30 or so and should be an exact fit if I remember correctly.

With a little bit of work, this should be a very nice little guitar.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2002 10:18 pm    

Thanks for the input gang, and Brad especially for your web site...I've gained a ton of knowledge from it recently.

I think the tuners will be a must and I'm hoping that the magnet trick will fix the pick up...otherwise, I'll see about getting it re-wound.

I'll let you know how it all comes out.

Thanks again,

Tom Jordan
Marc Weller

Upland, Ca. 91784
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2002 7:00 am    

Contact Jason Lollar about that pickup. I recently had him build a custom pickup for one of my Gibson archtops and was extrememly happy with the result. Jason has received alot of praise in the past and it is well deserved. His prices are also extrememly reasonable.
MW
jerry wallace

Artesia , NM (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2002 7:46 am    

Tom, let me know if I can be of any help with the pickup should you need it..

------------------
Jerry Wallace-2001 Zum: D-10,8+6, "98 Zum: D-10,8+8,Nashville 1000,Session 500 ,Session 400 head only amp,Tubefex,ProfexII, Artesia, New Mexico
http://communities.msn.com/jerrywallacemusic http://www.jerrywallacemusic.com

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2002 12:27 pm    

Jerry,

You da' man...I looked at my original post post and somehow referenced "Herbie" as a source for pick up repair (oops)...I meant Jerry.

Altho we have never met, I am very impressed with the forum recommendations for your talants. If I do need help, I'll get in touch.

Thanks Jerry,

Tom Jordan
jerry wallace

Artesia , NM (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2002 2:45 pm    

Tom , I figured you ment "Jerry"..Sure wish I could play like Herbie though !!! Thanks for your support!

------------------
Jerry Wallace-2001 Zum: D-10,8+6, "98 Zum: D-10,8+8,Nashville 1000,Session 500 ,Session 400 head only amp,Tubefex,ProfexII, Artesia, New Mexico
http://communities.msn.com/jerrywallacemusic http://www.jerrywallacemusic.com