| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Encore
David Decker

Canton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2023 10:41 am    

Who has replaced Zum Encore pickup, and what did you put in?
Ben Thomas

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2023 1:49 pm    

I'm going to put in a wide-mount XR-16 by https://www.wildepickups.com/products/steel-guitar

When I purchased my Encore new from Doug Earnest he suggested the XR-16 if I wanted to make a change down the road from the standard humbucker. So, there's the builder's recommendation for the XR-16 and I've read one of my favorite players, Tommy Detamore, say that the XR-16 is the only humbucker he's ever gotten along with, which goes a long way in my book. I believe he's using a Zum with the XR-16 on this track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcXdDcCDNdU

Plus, the XR-16 has 3 leads, so it can be wired for normal series humbucker mode or single coil mode through a toggle, and I've read positive comments on the quality of the single coil sound.

And it's not that I don't like the standard humbucker, but I just want to try something different. Good luck with your change.
Allen Merrell

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2023 4:51 am    

When I ordered my Encore I had questions about the pickup. I have L710's in my bud and love the sound. After having the Encore now for a few months of playing the thoughts of changing the pickup have left my mind. What Doug is using sounds VERY good to me. I am no professional and my ears are not as well tuned as a lot of the guys on this site so this is just my opinion. Just proceed with caution. I like the sound of mine just as it came.