| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Advice for stock Kemper profiles
David Mansfield

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 11:25 pm    

I’m playing one of the NYC talk shows in a few days with a country artist. The production manager and MD want me to use a KPA rather than an amp. I have no experience with the Kemper. The MD is a guitar player and says he’ll bring some appropriate clean profiles with him on a USB stick, but I would love to know if there is a stock factory profile I can use in case I don’t like what he provides. I play a Williams with a True-Tone, and a Goodrich. Hoping that one of their stock factory Twin profiles might work, along with a reverb that sounds like a nice EMT plate. Or anything else that would work for a classic steel sound. The big thing is to be up and running in 15 minutes with a minimum of tweaking. Any suggestions?
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 5:14 am    

I don't know if you have access to Paul Franklin's Method course, but he includes about a dozen or more kemper profiles on the site.
Edward Dixon

Crestview Florida
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 6:33 am    

Not sure what you mean by MD. Music Director? If so he probably knows what to use. Don't worry, it will probably be better than you expect.

On Rig Exchange there are something like 22,000 rigs available for download, you can search by amp type but you can't hear it until you are hooked up to a Kemper. There are hundreds of profiles that work good with PSG, but it's comes down to personal preference. I'd recommend searching you-tube to see if you can find a profile of your type amp. I have a profile of a Dumble Amp I use mostly but there are many good Fender Twin profiles that are very good. You will probably spend most of your set up time fine-tuning what ever effects you use.

Kemper also has a forum that might be another source of info.

Good Luck

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 6:34 am    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
I don't know if you have access to Paul Franklin's Method course, but he includes about a dozen or more kemper profiles on the site.

I don't, if anyone knows a way to get them I'd appreciate it. I'm looking to be as plug-and-play as possible.
Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 7:42 am    

David; keep scrolling and you’ll see a free Kemper steel amps post which has about 15 pedal steel amps profiled that your MD can put on a stick for you to use and they’re plug n play. Try The Webb amp it seems to be an easy sound to use. All these can be altered on the spot just like a real amp which your MD can help you with.
I recall we also put them in the recording section of the Forum also.
ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 8:09 am    

David: You didn't say, or it wasn't clear, what type of amp you're using.
David Mansfield

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 9:39 am    

Mike Holder wrote:
David; keep scrolling and you’ll see a free Kemper steel amps post which has about 15 pedal steel amps profiled that your MD can put on a stick for you to use and they’re plug n play. Try The Webb amp it seems to be an easy sound to use. All these can be altered on the spot just like a real amp which your MD can help you with.
I recall we also put them in the recording section of the Forum also.

Thanks, Mike, I grabbed them. The Music Director says he has a good Twin, but if it isn't cutting it I'll use one of yours-- probably the Webb, thanks!

And AJM, I'll be using a Kemper Stage.
Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 10:34 am    

Right out of the box I think the Twin is pretty good but like both Michael Britt's and Mike Holder's Little Walters a lot better (these are two different profiles). I've been using Mike Holder's for a while now, Those need very little tweaking for me. I'm happy with the Kemper stock fx. I have yet to try the Webb that Mike mentioned.
David Mansfield

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 10:40 am    

Scott Denniston wrote:
Right out of the box I think the Twin is pretty good but like both Michael Britt's and Mike Holder's Little Walters a lot better (these are two different profiles). I've been using Mike Holder's for a while now, Those need very little tweaking for me. I'm happy with the Kemper stock fx. I have yet to try the Webb that Mike mentioned.

It's probably overkill, sounds like everything will be fine. And if I don't like the stock Twin I'll try Mike's Webb.

The only effect I need is a nice reverb, the sound is very straightforward.
Mike Holder

Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 2:47 pm    

You can’t go wrong with a Blackface twin and I also included one plus a Dual Showman, several Peavey’s etc. None of them are hard to use and this gives a good introduction into the Kemper side of things, for direct or in ear playing these units or the Headrush profilers are both great. I’m glad to hear other players are using them and they seem to be working, I may do another series of different amps all steel guitar related, working out the details with my friend Scott Neubert.
Niklas Widen

Uppsala, Sweden
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2023 8:40 am    

Bill McCloskey wrote:

Intriguing. I was signed up a few years ago, but these must have been added since then. Are these profiles created by Paul himself? What amps are they based on? Interested in getting to know more about them.

Btw, thanks to Mike Holder for his great profiles. The Little Walter 89-12” is my favorite steel profile, use it all the time.

/Nicke
Mike Holder

Post  Posted 9 Jan 2023 12:20 pm    

Thanks Nick, glad you like them… to be clear the profiles on MmM are from me and Scott Neubert but we asked to also be able to offer them to everyone not just members of MMM. And they were fine with it.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 9 Jan 2023 2:23 pm    

Mesa Studio Pre/ Carvin TS-100 Power Amp/ Little Walter loaded with Eminence PF-350
Mesa Studio Pre/ Carvin TS-100 Power Amp/ Little Walter loaded with Eminence PF-400

Fender Blackface Twin Reissue/ Little Walter loaded with Eminence PF-400
Fender Blackface Twin Reissue/ Little Walter loaded with Eminence PF-350

Carvin Legacy 3 / Little Walter loaded with Eminence PF-350
Carvin Legacy 3 / Little Walter loaded with Eminence PF-400

Mesa Boogie Simul Satellite Combo/ Little Walter loaded with Eminence PF-400
Mesa Boogie Simul Satellite Combo/ Little Walter loaded with Eminence PF-350

Peavey Vegas 400 loaded with Peavey 15" Black Widow

Peavey Session 500 loaded with Peavey 15" Black Widow
Peavey Session 500 loaded with Peavey 15" Black Widow in String Mode (Dirty Slide)

Webb 6-14 GP loaded with 15" JBL E-130
Webb 6-14 GP/ Little Walter loaded with Eminence PF-400
Webb 6-14 GP / Little Walter loaded with Eminence PF-350

Evans FET 500 Combo loaded with 15 Eminence EPS-15C Neodyne
Evans FET 500 / Little Walter loaded with Eminence PF-350
Evans FET 500/ Little Walter loaded with Eminence PF-400

Randall Steelman 500 Combo loaded with Peavey 15" Black Widow
Randall Steelman 500/ Little Walter loaded with Eminence PF-350

Profiles were created by Scott Neubert & Mike Holder . . . 2019
Mike Holder

Post  Posted 9 Jan 2023 2:26 pm    

Bingo!!
Thanks for the list Bill!…Mike
Several of these profiles were done with multiple cabinets ie; the Webb GP
The first one is the original cabinet with a JBL,
The second has a Little Walter cab with a PF-400, 15” speaker.
The third has a Little Walter cab with a PF-350 , 12” speaker in it so we followed that recipe several times in these profiles. Now you can just add your own speaker impulse response or IR’s to suit your needs.
Mike Holder

Post  Posted 13 Jan 2023 7:40 am     Kemper

Well David; perhaps you’ve done your gig by now? How was your experience with a Kemper?