| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Roland 80xl & TT-12 - resolved!!!
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2022 4:28 pm    

I really love my newly acquired Quilter TT12. I also still have its forerunner, the sturdy and efficient 80xl.

The Roland has some on-board effects while the TT12 has a decent reverb. Is there a way I can link the two amps to make use of those FX?

I still want the principle amplification to come from the Quilter but, as I'm now retired, I really don't want to spend money on any more gear. The Roland's effects aren't state of the art but they'll do for playing for my own amusement.
(See below...)

Last edited by Roger Rettig on 15 Jan 2023 8:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 8:07 am    

I have a Cube 80 as a back up amp to my Peavey 112, Roger. I'll be interested in the responses to your query.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 8:27 am    

So far, Chris, you're the first to respond.

I tried plugging my steel into the Roland, then taking the line-out to the input on the Quilter.

Nothing - just the 80xl sound.

Then I tried coming out of the Roland's ext speaker line and that worked. The result, though, was muddy and thin.

I put in a 'Wanted' ad for a DD3: it shouldn't cost a fortune and it hopefully won't spoil the tone of the Quilter.
Patrick Edwards

Port Orchard, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2023 7:47 pm     Newman 2 amp rig

Roger,
I found this in a old Pedal Rod flyer that Jeff sent out years ago.
I actually tried it not to long ago with my NV 112 and cube 80 xl with chorus on but didn’t have a delay going to the 112. It sounded ok ; maybe a delay will do the trick
Good luck,Pat
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2023 4:49 am    

Thanks, Patrick.

Worth a try, although I have now found a DD-3.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2023 5:58 am    

I see this as "messy" and even affect the TB202's sound, if even possible.

If the Cube has a low level out, with effects, route the TB202's effect loop out to the Cube and the low level Cube to the effects loop in (return).

I see you have a delay unit so I'd forget about the cube.

As much as I am a fan of the TB202, I don't like the "inbuilt" reverb. I'm using a Keeley Caverns combo Rev and Delay unit.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2023 6:46 am    

I don't mind it's reverb. I'm not very enthusiastic about FX in general buy a touch of delay certainly enhances things a bit.

The link that Patrick sent came after I had given up. Whatever I did wrong, the sound was unacceptable.

I will keep the 80xl for now as a reserve, but I can't see me using it with the TT12 at hand.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2023 8:26 am     Fixed!

I was doing it all wrong.

Rick Schmidt was messaging me and talking about his new Fender Tonemaster and how good it sounds linked to his TT12. I, of course, asked how he'd done it.

Following his advice, I plugged the steel into the TT12 then ran a cord from the Quilter's 'sig out' to the input on the Roland.

It sounds great!!! Very big, and a convincing 'stereo' effect for me. The volume on the 'wet' amp (the Roland is minimal and all the tone still comes from the 'dry' Quilter.

Yes, I did acquire a DD-3 and that works well. It's not redundant now; if I'm running, say, a backing track or the I-Pro app in my phone through the Roland (turning off the FX, of course), I use the DD-3 for some dimension on the steel.

I have never done before what I'm relegated to now: playing on my own with, maybe, a track (mostly without). Two years of noodling for my own satisfaction has worsened my discipline. I just tried playing along with Emmons' CD of backing-tracks for 'We're Still Swinging'. Man, those changes come at you fast on the up-tempo C6 tracks!!! 'Blue Eyes' comes as an oasis of relief!

It's sobering to realize how one's ability to play with an ensemble is compromised by what is now three years of retirement. In addition, my essential tremors give me trouble more days than not. I have discovered that playing 6-string comes easier on the bad days than does steel; the reason, I believe, is that I clamp my wrist down on the guitar (I play 6-string without picks: always have) and that provides an anchor for my right-hand. This isn't possible on steel, not if I want to play cleanly with blocking. Finding the more obscure grips (10, 4, 3, for example) is a lottery when the ETs are upon me.

My neurologist appointment is 1/25.
Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2023 10:25 am     Re: Fixed!

Roger Rettig wrote:
I was doing it all wrong.

Rick Schmidt was messaging me and talking about his new Fender Tonemaster and how good it sounds linked to his TT12. I, of course, asked how he'd done it.

My neurologist appointment is 1/25.

You too Roger? LOL
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2023 10:56 am    

Ha!!! Smile

I confess, Dale, that a Tonemaster Twin was on my amp-short list along with the TT-12.

I bet they're great! Sneaking another $1,000 amp past SWMBO would prove difficult, however. Sad