| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Push Pull Finger Issue
Jeremy Steele

Princeton, NJ USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2022 6:14 am    

I'm wondering if anyone has has had this problem. The string guide slot on the changer finger for my high E has somehow gotten wide enough to swallow the string completely, making the axe unplayable. Any ideas for a fix?
Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2022 6:33 am    

Those grooves are not string guides. The strings ride on the solid part of the finger like in this picture. the "groove" is actually a joint where 2 parts come together.

Ron Forrest

Logan Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2022 6:47 am    

Jeremy,

Couple of things i might check would be,

See if you have lost any of the spacer washers that sit at the ends of the axle against the axle blocks. Look like you have then between the fingers but I'd check there too to see if any have broken and fallen off.

Check to see if you have any side to side movement on the mounts that hold the axle in place. This could indicate that you have screws loose or worst case one them is broken allowing enough room for the fingers to float back and forth on the axle.

Last thing could be that the the fingers are just worn over decades of play and have finally just allowed enough space to give it enough room to let the strings slip in between the changer fingers. Highly unlikely that this is it but worth checking.

Something is allowing enough space for the fingers to creep apart and the string to get stuck down in between the raise and lower fingers.

You might want to give the guys at Emmons a shout and see if they have ever seen anything like this. Billy Knowles and Lynn Stafford would be great resources too.

Ron
Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2022 9:01 am    

First time I've seen this.

Like Norm said.

You have the string between the two pieces of the finger. It's supposed to be on top of of the finger. See the little wear mark - put it there.

It's unbelievable that it ever played like this. This is also damaging the fingers.

Fix this ASAP.

You don't need a PP mechanic - you just need to string it right.
Ron Forrest

Logan Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2022 9:41 am    

I didn't realize that you were actually putting the strings in between the fingers as a normal location for stringing the guitar. I thought you had pulled them to show wear on tops of the fingers.

In this case Norman and Mike are absolutely correct in that the guitar just needs strung up correctly.

After I answered on my first post I got to thinking that he must be playing super hard to get the the string to move that much.

I am really surprised it played this way too.

Ron
Jeremy Steele

Princeton, NJ USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2022 10:28 am    

Actually it didn’t play this way...I was putting new strings on and was really distracted by something on TV. I plead temporary insanity. Thanks all for setting me straight.
Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2022 10:38 am    

Happens to the best. Glad we got ya sorted.

Happy playin!