| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lloyd Green's great recordings with Peter Cooper
Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2022 8:43 pm    

My late friend Peter Cooper was a true renaissance man: author, journalist, music historian and college lecturer… and he was amazing at all of them.

Peter was also a great singer-songwriter, which for much of his career was inseparable from his friendship and collaborations with Lloyd Green. With Lloyd as a featured player he released three solo albums and three more albums collaborating with singer-songwriter Eric Brace (he also produced several albums with other artists that Lloyd played on).

Some of these have been mentioned on the forum from time to time, but it seems worth trying to spread the word in a little more detail. Lloyd’s playing on these albums is probably my favorite steel-guitar of the last 20 years and I come back to it again and again; Lloyd and Peter were true collaborators on these projects and unlike typical recording sessions Lloyd spent some time with these songs before they went into the studio. Over-and-over Lloyd comes up with amazing melodic parts that are totally integrated into the songs in a way you don’t hear very often, and he takes a lot of pretty lengthy solos. Mission Door has some great dobro by Lloyd too.

Forty-plus years into an innovative and prolific career and Lloyd was still consistently reaching new heights of creativity on these albums, in my opinion.
Here’s links to a few favorite tracks (It’s Spotify, you may have to register, but it's free).

Birches
https://open.spotify.com/track/2wNVVl0duArQgwDPrt2bVw?si=56620a22dbae4795

Suffer a Fool
https://open.spotify.com/track/7kgadakEjP9a4ABe7rjKXm?si=c555929c8a1a4bba

Wine
https://open.spotify.com/track/250DmNPD2TxlqUP2ofUfm1?si=35600485744a419a

Anyone else have favorites?

Most of the CDs are still available (at very reasonable prices) from this website:
https://redbeetrecords.com/store

Here are the albums I play most often, all featuring Lloyd.

Mission Door - Peter Cooper 2006
You Don’t Have to Like Them Both – Eric Brace and Peter Cooper 2009
The Lloyd Green Album - Peter Cooper 2010
Master Sessions – Eric Brace and Peter Cooper 2010 (also features Mike Auldridge on dobro)
Opening Day – Peter Cooper 2013
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2022 7:49 am    

Being a baseball nut I really enjoyed 715 (Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth). I loved the line - "Babe didn't do performance enhancing drugs- he did performance inhibiting drugs".
Jeff Heard

Lopez Island, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2022 5:58 pm    

Not a Cooper original, but I love Peter and Eric Brace’s cover of “Wait a Minute”.
Lloyd’s playing is astounding as always.
John Corzine

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2022 5:59 pm     Late to the party

I discovered Eric Brace and Peter Cooper while exploring Lloyd Green's discography a couple of years ago. Should have gone further down the rabbit hole then, but thanks to this forum post, I ordered several CDs last week. They arrived today, with a nice note from Eric Brace -- can't wait to hear them all.

Can't say enough about this wonderful community and spirit of sharing. Where else could you hang with your heroes, past, present and future? I'm a lucky guy to have found my way. Wishing you all a great holiday -- pick pretty.