| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Skinny Panda/some internal pictures and stands
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2022 8:23 am    

I always wanted one, but couldn't swing it. I will be retiring from my 55 year career as a machinist in April '23.

I wanted to build this one while I still had access to the machine shop.

After 2 months of getting up at 4 AM so I had some "ME" time to work on it before my shift started I am very happy to say, I'M DONE!" It was worth all the early morning alarm clock buzzes. The sound and tone are great. (not from the alarm clock!)

It is 3/4" thick and I took a side shot to show how thin it is. I always figured most pedal steels use a hunk of aluminum, so why not use it on a lapsteel!!

I will miss building, but it's time to move on to the next chapter in life, whatever that may be???? I'm sure I will find something to do with my 45 hours of extra time! I am married and have been for 53 years, so like most of you, I do have a Honey-do list. Wink[/color]

Last edited by Bill Groner on 4 Jan 2023 1:31 pm; edited 10 times in total
Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2022 8:32 am    

What a wonderful instrument Bill! Please let us know which pickup you used and also if you took photos of the build process I would like to see them.Thanks!
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2022 8:49 am    

Thanks Greg. I did not take pics of the build. Where I work, there are no cameras allowed! I used a Lollar String Through.....couldn't afford the $600 for the horseshoe. Proportionally I think the string through looks better than the horseshoe.

Maybe at a later date I will make a new set of Panda Pads and dome them like the originals, but for now I am just enjoying it as is.

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2022 8:55 am    

Very cool ... beautiful work Whoa!
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2022 9:03 am    

Many thanx Rick........always loved your stuff!
I am in the process of making a stand for it. When finished I will share it will you guys. Very light weight and stable. It was mostly made from materials I had left over from past lapsteel builds. One could substitute 1/4" plywood for the lexan and nylon I used.

Last edited by Bill Groner on 25 Nov 2022 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2022 10:28 am    

Your new Groner-tone looks even better than the last one, Bill. You've really captured the visual essence of a Bakelite with an innovative use of materials. Bravo!
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2022 10:32 am    

Thanx Jack. I had that one in my head now for a couple of years. Glad it finally came to reality.

Port Orchard Washington, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2022 2:00 pm    

Bill, you’re an amazing artist, craftsman, and I’ve loved seeing your builds.
Long live Gronertones!

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2022 2:25 pm    

Thanks Steve. I do have one more to finish up, but that will have to wait till warmer weather and retirement.

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2022 2:43 pm    

That looks fantastic, Bill! You should post a video so we can hear it.
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2022 3:21 pm    

Maybe when I visit a friend of mine after the New Year. I don't know how to post a video and he is a really good lap steel player. I'm sure he would help me out. I said this many times before, I can build better than I can play.

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2022 4:48 pm    

Beautiful guitar! I love modern guitars that are inspired by traditional designs. Congratulations on retirement and the instrument!
G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2022 5:37 pm    

Amazing Workmanship Bill!!! Looks stylish and exudes class. I hope we get a chance to hear it soon!!
Melbert 8, Remington S8, Silk 6 string, Rick B6, Tremblay 6 lap steel, Marlen S-10 4&4, Prestige Guild M75 and Artist Award, Benedetto Bravo, Epiphone Century Electar (the real one) and a bunch of old lap steels.... mostly Ricks and Magnatones'
Steven Cummings

Texas
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2022 5:46 pm    

Very nice!

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2022 5:47 pm    

Thank you Tim. I always like to do things a little different, but still keep some of the original things present that made a classic a classic. I think Jack nailed it when he said it captured the visual essence of a Bakelite. That guitar is one of the most recognizable of all time. I was happy it all worked out. I didn't have one in my hands that I could copy so I used a pic of a real one, and knew I only had an 8" wide piece of aluminum to work with. I blew up the pic of the body on my computer screen, till I got 8 inches at the body and taped a piece of printer paper on the screen. I turned the lights out turned the screen brightness up and traced off the body. The neck was straight so that was pretty easy. The head I modified from the original Ric., but not too much from the original shape.

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2022 5:57 pm    

Thanks G Stout and Steve C. I am glad y'all like it. I'm pretty sure you will hear it eventually. I have to make a pretty long trip to visit a friend who has asked me several times to play it and the Audionat
I built the same way. Him and I and hopefully and maybe one other guy will get together in late spring/early summer to have some fun. I will mostly listen! LOL

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2022 6:17 pm    

Very impressive, Bill. Enjoy your retirement.

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2022 6:21 pm    

Thank you Andy. I am going to try and enjoy my retirement. It will be a huge change for me.

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2022 6:28 pm    

It was harder for me than i thought it would be. After I ran out of things to do around the house. I began to go a bit crazy. Then I started making little things here and there, restoring a few guitars, making some pickups etc. Then it dawned on me I know the solution!!So..... I went back to work. Laughing

Bill Groner wrote:
Thank you Andy. I am going to try and enjoy my retirement. It will be a huge change for me.

Melbert 8, Remington S8, Silk 6 string, Rick B6, Tremblay 6 lap steel, Marlen S-10 4&4, Prestige Guild M75 and Artist Award, Benedetto Bravo, Epiphone Century Electar (the real one) and a bunch of old lap steels.... mostly Ricks and Magnatones'
Steve Wilson

Morgan Hill, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2022 11:29 am    

Great job, Bill! Very impressive work. Do the strings attach from the bottom? Bet it sounds great.
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2022 11:40 am    

Thanks stranger! Yes, they come up through the body and yes it does sound great.........(even with me playing it)

Post  Posted 26 Nov 2022 11:57 pm    

Howdy right back to you, Mr. Bill,
Still admiring your Skinny Panda. I have a few questions about the aluminum body/neck construction if you don't mind. Is the guitar and neck all milled out from one billet, or is the neck somehow added separately? Also is the body mostly hollow, chambered, or maybe routed under the panels like a Panda? How does it sound unplugged? Love to see some more pictures!
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2022 3:35 am    

Good questions Steve. The panda is slim, but heavy.

I got on the bathroom scale with it and it's 8 pounds, but feels like much more than that to me. It is machined from one piece of 1/2" x 8" x 29 5/8" 6061 aluminum. I have a pocket milled for the Pickup, the pots, and a matching pocket under the control panel on the opposite side. When I say pocket, I guess it's more of a hole. The 3 cavity holes are straight through, the back plate makes the bottom of the hole.

The neck is solid. There are no chambered pockets other than the cavities I mentioned. Unplugged it can be heard, but like most lapsteels it is not very loud. For you, Steve since we go way back, I will take off the back cover and let you have a peek. It's really nothing to look at under the matte black acrylic cover. I have one thing I want to change and need to remove the back anyway so your request comes at a good time.

I would have liked the head to angle down like a real panda, but that would have meant I would have had to mill a "V" notch on the bottom side, bend it, and then get it welded back together or, cut the body at the neck and make the head separate. I considered milling a "U" shaped pocket in for the head, but the whole thing is 1/2" thick so the pocket and the tang for the head would could only be 1/4" thick where they mount. If I did that I could screw the head on. (like the way Fender bolts the neck to the body on their guitars) I considered either one, but I thought making it two pieces would maybe compromise the sonic qualities of it. The other one I made was one piece and sounded very good, so I didn't want to re-invent the wheel.

I will post some pictures of the interior when I get a chance.

Good to hear from you Steve, been a while.
Very Happy

Post  Posted 27 Nov 2022 12:19 pm    

Thanks for the pictures and construction details, Bill. Very nice work, I bet it will sustain for days. Any bets that #12 won't really be the last!
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2022 12:37 pm    

LOL........ Not a betting man.