| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Garrett A. Brink instruments
Neil Russell

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2022 2:40 pm    

I'm looking for any information I can get on a maker from the 1920's named Garrett A brink. Any help such years in production , birth , death and how many instruments he made.
Mike Auman

North Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2022 6:50 pm    

Here's a start! https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/142742866/garrett-a_-brink says Garrett A. Brink, b. 25 Jun 1877, Manlius Township, Allegan County, Michigan, USA, d. 7 Mar 1968 (aged 90), Kent County, Michigan, USA, buried Woodlawn Cemetery, Grand Rapids, Kent County, Michigan, USA, plot BLOCK 03, Lot 98E, Space 3

Obituary:
Garret Brink, Maker of Instruments, Dies
Services will be held Saturday for Garrett Brink, 90, of 569 Martha St SW, longtime craftsman of stringed instruments, who died Wednesday. Rev Jerrold Pell, pastor of Bethel Baptist Church, will officiate at 1:30 pm services at Creston Mortuary. Burial will be at Woodlawn Cemetery. In addition to producing handmade violins, Mr Brink taught violin and guitar, and repaired and constructed instruments for the Ford Symphony Orchestra, and, most recently, for the Grand Rapids Board of Education. Mr Brink was born in East Saugatuk and came here in 1927. He is survived by two sisters, Mrs Ray (Martha) Fosdick of Bingampton, NY, and Mrs Katherine Melcher of Grand Rapids.

http://aplusviolin.com/American-4-4-1955-Garrett-A-Brink-Violin-GAB.htm says he was still building in 1955. Several of his violins have been sold by Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI so they may have more info on him.

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2022 6:22 am    

Thanks ever so much Mike, that is kind of what I wanted to know about the man. Now if I can find out more about his instrument making to help fill in some gaps.
Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2022 11:34 am    

Nice looking Kona style Hawaiian, how does it sound?
Neil Russell

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2022 3:34 pm    

I have a style 4 Kona and a couple of Knutsens of the same short neck style and this brink to me is better sounding both in balance and tone.
Mike Auman

North Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2022 6:52 pm    

Neil, since the builder was born, lived and died near Grand Rapids MI, I think I'd focus on that area, including music stores. Or there may be descendants of his siblings who still live there and might know something about their great- or great-great-uncle. All his brothers and sisters are listed in his sister Katherine's obituary, https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/74920452/katherine-melcher and they may have entries in one of the genealogy databases. Also, Elderly Instruments is about 60 miles east of Grand Rapids in Lansing, they've sold some of his instruments in the past and they may know something.

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2022 7:11 am    

Thanks Mike, good ideas, I'll get on it.