| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lever Stop Wood Screw Question
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2022 5:46 am    

My Williams has the LKL2 lever stop screwed into the wood apron. It always works itself a bit loose (not 'falling-off' loose). A simple periodic tightening is a perfectly ok fix. But I'd like to lock it down. I don't know if Loctite sorts of products are effective on wood screw threads.
Anyone have an answer or alternate suggestion?

edited to add: the screw hole is not at all stripped. The screw can be tightened quite well. But not quite well enough.
Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2022 6:03 am    

I don't "know" but I'd be inclined to try a dab of tightbond on the threads

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2022 6:07 am    

Brian Hollands wrote:
I don't "know" but I'd be inclined to try a dab of tightbond on the threads

By which I assume you mean white or yellow wood glue in general. I thought of that. I can make a case for it being a better idea.
Thanks.
Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2022 6:26 am    

Remove the stop, fill the hole nearly to the top with baking soda. Carefully put a couple drops of thin super glue into the baking soda. Once hardened, drill a small pilot hole into the baking soda and reinstall the stop. YOu hsould have nice firm threads.

This is the kind of thing that guided my descision to stay away from wood screws of any kind in the guitars I build.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2022 6:36 am    

I have a Williams. This is one of its few weakness. When I have time I shall cut a small rectangle of Al, drill a hole in each corner so it can be screwed securely to the apron, and thread a hole in it so I can bolt the stop to it. Woodscrews aren't designed for lateral forces.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2022 8:01 am    

Fortunately this is the only stop of this sort on this 8 + 8 guitar. The problem is not acute so I'm not looking for major modifications. Just something to delay the breaking of the tension between the tight wood screw and the wood. I figure that anything at all will maybe reduce having to tighten it from twice a year to once.
But Ross -- your suggestion is totally saved in my workshop notes!
This is the least of the stability problems of this guitar and the easiest to address.
Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2022 10:26 am     Stop

Aloha Jon..break a toothpick and put it in the hole..easy way! Shocked

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2022 10:50 am    

Oh -- there are a bunch of fixes, if it were stripped, Larry. Thanks.
It's in perfect condition. I can tighten it to the point that I can't muscle the screwdriver another micron. I don't think I would want the screw to be tighter in the hole (for fear of splitting).

But the physical properties of a metal screw gripping the wood won't withstand repeated tapping of the lever against the stop without working itself loose after a few thousand reps. Just looking for a way to delay the start of its unwinding. As I said, if there were no solution, I can live with tightening that up a couple of times a year.
Right now, I've got some wood glue in there. It might lock things up a bit. Maybe even swell the wood a bit.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2022 3:13 pm    

As I tried to point out, a woodscrew waggled from side to side will work loose. It is designed to withstand longitudinal stresses, not lateral ones. Ross knows everything, so I won't dis his method. But I don't allow superglue in the house and I'm more than happy tinkering with a bit of metal if it gets me from twice a year to never Smile
Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2022 3:31 pm    

A bit late but yes, I do mean white or yellow wood glue. It obviously won't adhear to the metal all that well but it may be enough and won't hurt anything.

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2022 12:23 pm    

Jon, it would take a larger hole but a threaded insert would be screwed in then a machine screw for the stop.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2022 12:31 pm    

That's some good thinking, Larry. Add a drop of Loctite to that machine screw and nothing is going nowhere. But it is more invasive a procedure than the situation calls for. I will check this assembly in a month or three. If the white glue holds that long, then I declare it an improvement and a better solution than surgery. If not more effective, then at least kinder & gentler.
Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2022 12:46 pm    

Jon, does that nylon stop have some kind of square backer? If it's not seated firmly to the apron, I can see how it might loosen over time.

Why not take a dead on image of the screw head to see if it actually rotates over time.

Last edited by Jerry Jones on 29 Oct 2022 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2022 2:18 pm    

Jerry -- it's good and square and sits quite well on the wood. It doesn't seem to me that there's any wobble in the meeting of the faces. It's snugged up now (with the wood glue on the screw) so I can't check.
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2022 5:42 pm    

If you don’t mind an imprint on the wood, a star washer might inhibit the screw from backing out.
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2022 6:01 pm    

Perhaps install an adjustable stop, similar to the one on the other knee lever in your photo?

~Lee
Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2022 2:42 am    

if the screw had enough length to it i'd be tempted to try a lock washer.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2022 2:55 am    

Tony -- no, I don't mind. That is a good idea. Dave -- actually, a lock washer on the screw head side might possibly add some anti-walk compression.

Lee -- I assume the reason for this stop is that a conventional stop screw on a bracket would be too long and unstable due to the limitation on placement spots for the assembly, with a couple of close-together cross shafts in the way.

All in all, I'll repeat that if I had to live in a world where this needed to be tightened a few times a year as a general maintenance punch list item, it's not at all a big deal. But every time I do it, I'm "oh, yeah -- this is why I've been chasing my F lever tuning, the last few weeks. Wonder if I can lock this down a bit better....".

I just put on my calendar for New Year's Eve: "check lever stop".
I'm a party animal.
I'll report back.
Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2022 7:10 am    

All great suggestions. I check all screws a couple of times a year on my Williams steels as a matter of course when cleaning, lubing, etc. Then no problems. Ross' idea seems like a great one though.

Post  Posted 29 Oct 2022 7:55 am    

My little old Williams S-10 (single wide body) has that same style stop on all three left moving levers - LKL, RKL, & LKV. This is an older 400 Series guitar. Thankfully, I haven't had that issue with any of them.

Like Steve, I check all the screws a couple of times a year.

I also check the handle screws on the guitar cases, the pac-a-seat, and amplifiers periodically. I have found slightly loose screws on all of that equipment at one time of another.

Also, change the batteries in your smoke/fire/carbon monoxide detectors, while you're at it!

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2022 8:29 am    

...and change the oil in your vehicles. Very Happy
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2022 10:31 am    

typically, a drop of Elmers or any type of decent glue will keep that screw from backing out.. Thats all I ever use.. any type of glue I have lying around, and its all worked... Even on metal. You just want to keep the threads from backing out, NOT glue anything together.. Anything that takes up a bit of space between the threads and keeps them from easily turning counterclockwise will work.. I have used wood glues, school glue, silicone sealer, weatherstrip adhesive, various types of sealing putty on wood screws i didn't want backing out and everything worked well, as long as the wood itself is sound and strong most any adhesive will work...bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2022 3:51 pm    

Damn. My to-do list just grew exponentially. Levers. Handles. Car. Smoke detectors.
Way more than I bargained for.
Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 29 Oct 2022 4:29 pm    

Jon Light wrote:
Damn. My to-do list just grew exponentially. Levers. Handles. Car. Smoke detectors.
Way more than I bargained for.

It's gonna be a busy New Year's Eve.

(Maybe add bear spray to the list. Make sure it is functioning properly. Winking )

~Lee
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2022 10:53 pm    

From the picture Jerry Jones posted, There is something missing from under the plastic stop, Looks like the print of a square of metal or plastic. You may want to contact Williams, And talk to someone, To ask if there is a part missing causing the problem.

If it goes out of tune while playing the guitar. A solution needs to be found. As last course of repair, An 1 1/2" block of plastic, Stop height and width, With a rounded KL contact point, And 2 screws so nothing can turn or move.
Good Luck and Happy Steelin.