| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Quilter and Fender amps
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2022 9:49 am    

I have been wondering something about the new Quilter and Fender amplifiers. Installed in a lot of new audio equipment there is common mode, and differential mode, noise filters installed. The filters are installed inside the audio device, on the incoming AC 120 volt power line. You can buy these AC line filters in power strip form, but you would not need the power strip if the filters were in the new Quilter and Fender amps. I just wondered if these filters were installed in these new amps?
In understand that these new amps have XLR connections, but XLR is totally different than AC 120 volt power line filtering. XLR involves differential line signaling, which helps eliminate noise.
Also, these new amps don't have the polarity switch on the back like the old Fender and Peavey amps. This makes me wonder if there is AC power line filtering and protection going on.
Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 9:35 pm    

I imagine any switchmode power supply would include effective line filtering because they are inherently very noisy themselves and need to prevent that noise from getting back out to the electrical service, to meet FCC conducted emissions requirements.
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2022 7:46 am    

Bruce I was thinking the same thing as you, but was not certain the Common and differential mode filtering was included in the new amplifiers. If the filtering was included that would solve many noise issues from noise in power lines. With that said, there can still yet be common mode noise issues with everything else in the signal chain. Especially when other devices are plugged into power, as everything has to go back to ground at some point.