| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is It Possible to Play Steel While Wearing Hearing Aids
Harold Parris

Piedmont, Alabama USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 5:01 am    

I damage my hearing by shooting a snake with a loud pistol. My neighbor found a Copper Head in my back yard and on short notice I didn't use any hearing protection to shoot the loud pistol. I would like the input of anyone with similar experience. If it is possible to play while wearing hearing aids what brand,name or model would you recommend.

Thanks Very Much,
Harold Parris
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 5:41 am    

I've worn hearing aids for 10 years. No problem with music. It may take a short period to get used to hearing the full frequency spectrum but that's all.

I started out on low end Rexton hearing aids (what insurance would pay for) and now have Starkey's that I had a co-pay. Starkey's are rechargeable batteries and have more features but to be truthful the low end Rexton's properly adjusted sound as good.

Be careful with the cheap hearing aids being sold on line as most are just amplifiers and do not compensate for high frequency loss (common in us seniors). Just allowed is over the counter hearing devices to be sold by stores. I don't
know all about them but if they can't be programmed/adjusted for your specific hearing loss, as determined by a hearing test, I would avoid them.

If you are a Costco member, their hearing aids are "real hearing aids" and priced reasonable and do hearing tests.
Ken Morgan

Midland, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 6:10 am    

I’ve worn ReSound hearing aids for many years. Took a bit to get used to, as the frequencies they boost often seem exaggerated, so adjust accordingly. In your head bass might seem a bit light, as hearing aids just don’t work well below the range of human speech.

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX
Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 7:40 am    

I've had some Seimens for almost 5 years now, and until a couple of months ago all was good. (One quit, and I'm waiting for the VA to get replacements).
Once you realize that the sounds you can't hear are moved into a frequency range you can, things get easier. The guy set mine up with a "Live Music" setting that is helpful when playing, or even listening.
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 8:09 am    

My audiologist tells me that if I had a smartphone I could trim up the EQ on my hearing aids to where playing music wouldn't sound like an old-style telephone.

Don't have, don't want a smartphone, so the hearing aids come out and my instrument EQ gets trimmed up so it sounds a bit woofy, and I cross my fingers. Winking

About 10 years ago I read on another forum that someone who went to a (rare in the US) Ventures show complained that Don Wilson's guitar sounded tinny. At that point, Don had been onstage banging out "Walk, Don't Run" for half a century, so likely there wasn't a lot of high end left and he was just compensating

.....I thought it was a word-to-the-wise moment!
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 11:09 am    

Hearing aids are designed to reproduce the conversational human voice. I’ve always found them to lack fidelity & distort with amplified signals.

I’ve had a much more pleasurable experience using Shure IEM’s through a Behringer mini mixer coming from the line-out of my amp.
George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 12:30 pm     Big help

The VA set me up with my hearing aids. No problem playing with them in, even with drummers on shows.
Geo

Last edited by George McLellan on 26 Oct 2022 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 12:40 pm    

Tony Glassman wrote:
Hearing aids are designed to reproduce the conversational human voice. I’ve always found them to lack fidelity & distort with amplified signals.

I’ve had a much more pleasurable experience using Shure IEM’s through a Behringer mini mixer coming from the line-out of my amp.

One of the selling points of the model of Starkey hearing aids I have is "music fidelity". I have one factory program for music but I find the general program works good for music whether its playing steel or music from a stereo system.
Only time I had any distortion when I was playing was when I was playing too loud. I guess if its a loud band it could be an issue with some brands of hearing aids.
Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 1:48 pm    

Dave, "smart" phones aren't really that smart, I use my $11 LG to connect to my hearing aids. Mine are old enough that they require a "pendant" worn around the neck to interface to blue tooth. Sure makes listening to the phone call easier! I know the most of the newer ones don't need that device, I hope my new ones are that way!
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 2:03 pm    

I just switched from Resound Lynx-9 to Starkey...the Resounds were pretty good, but the Starkey have achieved truly natural sound. these are the latest "Evolv" AI-based models, a real leap over anything form even a few years ago.
The All Around program is OK for music, but the Music program EQ is just a bit more natural - doesn't over-emphasize the speech frequencies that the all Around program does, intentionally.
The only way to get them to really sound like you can still really hear is to go to a good audiologist, get the best you can afford, and then work with them over a few months to tune up the response as your brain gets used to processing stuff it hasn't heard for a long time....definitely not a "put them on and forget them" thing....
And there was some sort of insurance deal I somehow was eligible for that cut the cost from $7K (Crazy, I know...) to $4K, and had interest-free payment over a year, so ask!
chuck lemasters

Jacksonburg, WV
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 3:23 pm    

When I play with the Starkey aids in, it sounds like I am playing through a stereo chorus pedal. The music setting on the hearing aids doesn’t seem to help. Visited the audiologist last week for adjustments…added compression helped with my non music related complaints, but like Dave Hopping, I just remove them for playing. When I was playing regularly with a too loud band, I found I could hear better with when I wore earplugs with a 9 or 15 db filter…