| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Revelation Tube Revelation
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2022 8:27 am    

I've been experimenting with new and nos tubes in the Rev. I've never been totally happy with the top end bite and have been trying to tame it. I finally found a very happy combination of tubes. I installed the low noise JJ ECC83MG (Mid Gain) in V1. Installed two NOS RCA 12AX7A tubes in V2 and V3. The tube compression is dominate when picking and total rounded sound in the low, mid and high end. Very Fender amp duplication.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2022 5:00 am     Preamp

Great info. I’ll have to check out the JJ tube
I bet I’ve used many hundreds of JJ tubes in my builds and repair work Need to check that one out for sure

IMHO there’s not a finer tube preamp than the Revelation. Great Fender like tone and super well built

Brad’s the man for sure.
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2022 5:32 am    

I changed into these tubes and played through the Rev before I left for the band job yesterday. I heard a big difference in mid and high tone. On the job, the tubes performed great on stage. I was able to move the treble control a little more clockwise, which moved the mid frequency (treble control also moves the mid frequency) into the Fender range. However, adding more treble still kept the presence frequency out of the equation which still kept the edge off of the treble. Since the MG tube produced more mid gain, I had to slightly re-adjust the color control. Conclusion, the MG tube did it's job perfectly. Many of the 12AX7 tubes that I tried had only subtle changes in tone and with some, I couldn't hear and difference between them. The MG tube lives up to it's purpose.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.