| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A little tweak for my Stage One
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2022 7:12 pm    

I've had my Stage One for over 10 years, and love it. I DID make a small modification which might be helpful to others. No idea whether it's been posted here before, if so I apologize.

The pedal bar is held on to the legs by 2 #10 machine screws, secured in place by a couple wing nuts. It has always been on my mind that if I lose one of those wings nuts out somewhere, I'm in trouble. A couple spares in the pack-seat would be wise, but finding stuff in there can be worse than my wife's purse. Also I have a couple different seats which I leave at different locations. So that doubles the number of spares needed.

This past weekend it finally happened, dropped a wing nut and lost it, fortunately taking down from playing, not setting up. So tonight I took the steps I should have long ago.

I drilled 2 holes, 3/16", in the pedal bar a few inches to my right of the C pedal. Inserted #10-3/4" machine screws, a lock washer and a nut. (OK, truthfully I thought I had the lock washers and found they were #8's, I'll return to HD tomorrow and get some - so they are not in the pics). With those screws inside the bar, add ANOTHER lock washer to each, and run a spare wing nut down snug. I might even put a tiny dot of blue lock-tite to keep them in place. So now, no matter where I take the steel, I will have two spare wing nuts right there just in case. And from the front, all that shows is 2 more screw heads.

Again, not rocket science, but if it helps one person it will be worth my posting it.

The First Coast
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2022 8:16 am    

Hey Don -

I can identify with rummaging around in my pak-a-seat for a wingnut or anything else: it's a disorganized mess.

I dealt with the wingnut issue by buying a couple of knobs from Ace Hardware. They're a little easier to screw on/off and definitely easier to track down when I drop them.
Ken Morgan

Midland, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2022 8:59 am    

That is a great idea. I can’t see squat in the light, much less dark stages

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX
Larry Phleger

DuBois, PA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2022 9:16 am    

Great idea. Thanks for sharing.
Alex Stewart

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2022 9:58 am    

Good ideas, both...thanks for posting!
Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2022 11:18 am    

I went the Ace Hardware route too, purchased 4 actually, 2 for spares.😀
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2022 11:30 am    

I did the Ace knob purchase and put a couple spares in my seat.
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2022 3:32 am    

Frank, excellent suggestion, Ace should give you a commission. Very Happy I'll be buying some next time I'm there.

The First Coast
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2022 3:56 am    

Thanks for bringing it up, Don - looks like more than a few people had the same issue!
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2022 5:18 am    

I did a similar thing with knobs for my GFI instead of the chintzy wing screws. Looks more professional.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2022 5:22 am    

Frank Freniere wrote:
Hey Don -

I can identify with rummaging around in my pak-a-seat for a wingnut or anything else: it's a disorganized mess.

I dealt with the wingnut issue by buying a couple of knobs from Ace Hardware. They're a little easier to screw on/off and definitely easier to track down when I drop them.

Except my first 2 guitars (ZB Customs). I have used these on every guitar that used wing nuts, whether it was on a screw through the legs or on a sliding lever type hold down. Wing nuts are a no-no in my world.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.