| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  PLEASE CLOSE... My Sho~Bud Fingertip
Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2022 11:22 am    

Updated info and price lowered to $2500.

As much as I love this guitar, the time has come that I need to part with it. I don't play C6th, and I need something lighter to pack in and out when I play.

It is a D10, with 9 pedals and 3 knee levers, standard Emmons setup. The tone of this guitar, through my Nashville 112 is second to none. It sounds absolutely amazing. I think the pickup on the E9th neck may be a Wallace, and the C6th looks like a factory Sho~Bud pickup to me. It's not as smooth and easy to play as a brand new guitar would be, but it's not bad at all, especially considering it's age. I don't know of any mechanical issues, and the finish is actually pretty nice for a guitar this age.

The only issue that I'm aware of is that one of the legs don't tighten up all the way to full tightness when you screw it into the guitar. Doesn't affect the playing any though. Also, someone drilled some holes into the pedals, both the area you press and on the bottom side of where the pedal bar rod goes through the pedals. Doesn't affect anything and I don't know if that was done at Sho~Bud or by a former owner.

It'll need to be picked up, as it is quite a heavy guitar and the shipping and insurance would be outrageous. I can arrange to meet someone within a reasonable distance from my location.

I'm including a few pictures, but I'm a lousy photographer, but hopefully these will suffice. I can take more if needed.

Thanks for looking and reading.

Lem

Last edited by Lem Smith on 24 Aug 2022 12:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2022 12:27 pm    

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2022 4:32 pm    

Was the inlay redone? The inlay on your guitar is not the same as Hal's.????

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2022 4:44 pm    

Good eye Abe! Any supporting providance. Documents, serial number, ?

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2022 4:45 pm    

Yes, the top was darkened and the inlay was changed.
Nick Fryer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2022 5:05 pm    

Also looks like maybe the fretboards were changed at some point? The current pictures look like “dust catcher” boards.

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2022 5:21 pm    

Lem, your guitar has dust catcher fretboards, also different than the metal ones that it looks like are on Hal's guitar.

But... The inlay on the top of the necks is really unique as far as I know. I just wonder why anyone would "darken" the top deck and replace the inlay.

Not saying it didn't happen, but I think some better photos of the grain on the front of the cabinet of the guitar when Mr. Rugg owned it would help clarify things. If the unique grain pattern matches up, that would convince me.

Good luck on the sale, super nice vintage guitar either way! 😁
Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2022 6:11 pm     Trust, but verify

How many era ‘Bud Perms had a metal plate with ‘Sho Bud’ logo? This was a ‘working’ axe when Hal used it (= wear & tear)..he was a great player, a fave of many of us here. I’d guess there’s at least a handful of later owners after Hal replaced this ‘Bud. So the most critical proof of all would be the Serial #. Had any past repair work been done via a shop with the key criteria of a Serial #? Did Ricky Davis ever get a visit from it? GLWTS!
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2022 7:00 pm    

Quote:
Did Ricky Davis ever get a visit from it?

No Jon; I've never seen this Fingertip in person. The one Lem has and the picture of Hal playing one; are two different Fingertips.....different inlay; Fretboards....etc; but yes many changes did happen to steel through the years and owners....but that's all I see with my eye; I would need to see much much more.
Ricky
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2022 7:07 pm    

I saw Hal's guitar many times. This guitar has a couple things that make me think it might not be Hal's. As previously mentioned the inlay is different than Hal's. The top of the cabinet is darker but that could be the aging and nicotine. What really makes me think it's not is the Hal's had his initials in those two pearl squares in the necks. H on the front and R on the back. In those days if someone wanted a guitar that looked like someone else's Sho-Bud would do it.
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2022 7:12 pm    

I saw Hal's guitar many times. This guitar has a couple things that make me think it might not be Hal's. As previously mentioned the inlay is different than Hal's. The top of the cabinet is darker but that could be the aging and nicotine. What really makes me think it's not is the Hal's had his initials in those two pearl squares in the necks. H on the front and R on the back. In those days if someone wanted a guitar that looked like someone else's Sho-Bud would do it. The tuning keys on Hal's are Klusons like on an Emmons. The for sale guitar looks like a modern key.
Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2022 7:24 pm    

I’m not trying to mislead anyone in regards to this guitar. I am going by what the two previous owners said. I’ve known both of them for years and never knew either one to be untruthful. I don’t know how to prove this was Hal’s guitar beyond a doubt, so I guess b0b or one of the other mod’s can close this thread and I’ll just keep the guitar.
Nick Fryer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2022 7:26 pm    

It’s still a great guitar!

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2022 3:38 am    

Since several seem to doubt this guitar being Hal's guitar, I've removed that from the posting. I can't prove beyond a doubt that it was Hal's, and I most certainly don't want to mislead anyone here into believing something if it is not correct.

Also, because of that, I've lowered the price from $3500 down to $2500 in accordance, since I believe it is worth less without the verifiable history behind it.

Thanks.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2022 4:54 am    

Lem; you're a stand up guy man....good on'ya.
Yes I run across this all time in my restorations; as if you think about how long ago the 60's were to now and all the different owners and what they have been told here and there; can easily get mis-guided information.
This looks like a WONDERFUL Fingertip and would be a classic sound and player for anyone looking for that historical instrument from the 60's.
Ricky
Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2022 6:03 am    

Thank you, Ricky. I really appreciate you saying that.
Mark Shuda

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2022 7:57 am    

Like Ricky said, Lem you are a stand up guy!

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2022 9:49 am    

Oh you're mighty welcome Lem and looking at the Fingertip you have for sale; that is a very rare Inlay. The Raised 3D fretboard Sho~bud made was the MOST Precise fret marking scale than any others. This is a 9 pedal Fingertip; so it is '66 or older as that 9th pedal was for the High C to lower half tone on C6 side. The tuners...look like Grover; are far beyond better than original open end tuners Sho~bud put on. This is a WONDERFUL Sho~bud Fingertip at a WONDERFUL price; that would make someone WONDERFULLY HAPPY.
Ricky
Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2022 12:06 pm    

Ricky - I have what I thought was a '67 Fingertip but it has nine pedals. Does that apply to all 'tips with 9? Does that imply mine is '66 or '65?

Sorry to highjack the thread...

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2022 1:14 pm    

Hi Abe, well I was too young when they were building fingertips at that time but I did restore Lloyd Green's famous lightning bolt fingertip that was made in 1966, and I was under the impression from a couple of mentors that, that was the last year they made 9 pedals standard, course sho-bud was truly a custom shop and folks could order how they wanted.
Heres Lloyd's in my room when I finished it.

But I would have to see your top and underneath to know more.
Ricky
Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2022 12:47 pm    

Please close. Going to someone local who isn't on the forum.