| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Power rating for a re-coned JBL D130 ?
Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2022 3:11 pm    

Does a quality pro recone have a greater power handling threshold ?

I just fried a sweet vintage speaker.

An effects loop shorted out , sending massive distortion to my speaker, briefly. Now it distorts slightly, but noticeably. Major bummer.

Considering a recone, but if I’m on thin ice , I’m hesitant.

Thanks to all who respond.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2022 4:47 pm    

The exact re-cone for those old Alnico Mags have not been made in over 30 years(the D's and K's); so even good speaker re-cone companies are stuck with E-kits and I haven't heard a good re-cone of a D or K yet.
Ricky
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2022 6:26 pm     Power rating for a reconed D-130

I have a D-130. How can I tell if it's a recone?
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2022 6:32 pm    

Quote:
I have a D-130. How can I tell if it's a recone?

George; I know ONLY what Speaker experts I have talked to; tell me. I don't know that answer; but I'm sure a speaker expert would know how to tell.
Ricky
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2022 8:37 pm    

Does a D-130 reconned with an E kit have a higher power handling capability?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2022 2:47 pm    

The power capability of a recon is dependent on the power rating of the voice coil.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2022 4:22 pm    

A D130 is not the same as a D130F, and an E series voice coil will eventually catch in the gap. I have received excellent reconed JBL 15" speakers from Forum member Jeffrey Maxwell I suggest you contact him.
Dan Murphy

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2022 7:14 pm     recone kits for JBL

Hi Steve, you can get recone kits for JBL D130 from Sound Speaker repair.com. I did the recones on both mine. Its a little tricky but I was successful. They come disassembled so you have to build them. These kits are designed and built to JBL factory specs. The only difference in the D130 and 130F is the voice coil gap width. The d130F gap is slightly wider to dissipate heat. The kits I bought handle 80 watts@8ohms peak handling is 100 watts. I put one in a Pevey bandit 112. Sounds great but I run the volume at 6.The kits I used have cloth surrounds. The voice coils are edge wound to JBL specs.
Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2022 8:41 am     Thanks

Thanks for all the input.

I found a local guy, claims to be JBL trained, asking $180. For the job, including the kit.

I’m On the fence. not sure I wouldn’t rather try to find an original once we get around two bills.

It feels like I lost a girlfriend when that speaker went south . I’ll have to get over her somehow. Not my biggest problem .

Thanks again for the advice.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2022 10:23 am    

Steve; I've been alllllll around that block already and I can say: "You will NEVER get over that girlfriend(the sound of original)" So go get/find her and don't give up till you have her back in your arms. You already had the luxury of Hearing the Best; don't let it curse you.
Ricky
Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2022 12:49 pm     She’s gone, gone , gone….

Thanks Ricky.
Appreciate all the comments.
Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2022 3:56 am     Jbl D130f

email sent....

Post  Posted 26 Aug 2022 12:38 pm    

George, the easiest way to spot a recone is if there is any glue residue in the area circled in the photo, which is where the spider is glued to the rim. A factory cone has none, a recone almost always has some. The photo is of a D-120 but I think the factory code was the same (21032) for the D-130, and should be stamped on the cone.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2022 8:51 am     Power rating? It depends...really!

Steve Spitz wrote:
Does a quality pro recone have a greater power handling threshold ? I just fried a sweet vintage speaker. An effects loop shorted out , sending massive distortion to my speaker, briefly. Now it distorts slightly, but noticeably. Major bummer.

Considering a recone, but if I’m on thin ice , I’m hesitant.

Keeping in mind that the original rating for the D-130 was 25 watts, practically any re-cone job will at least double the original rating. In other words, probably around 50-75 watts RMS. This is because components today are designed for higher power levels. High-power amplifiers, like those that are common now, did not exist in the 1940's, when this speaker was designed. (A "powerful" amp in the 1940's and early 1950's was only 25-40 watts.)

What, exactly, is involved as far as how much wattage a particular speaker will handle depends on several factors outside of just the voice coil rating. The type of programming the speaker is reproducing is of primary importance. If the speaker is used for PA purposes, and is handling the whole band's sound, it's facing significantly more stress than it would face if it were just used for vocals, or muted jazz guitar use. You see, speakers are normally rated with constant programming or a steady tone in mind. (Constant programming means the speaker isn't getting a breather, or cool-off period.) However, speakers will usually handle peaks or irregular programming far above their normal ratings, and it's only when the speaker is producing constant high level sound that significant heating (which is what causes voice-coil failure) takes place. Activities such as distorted chords, "windmilling", and high levels of throbbing bass are what usually destroys speakers.

Also to be considered is the speaker enclosure. A properly sealed or ported enclosure dampens (evens out) the cone's movements, acting like a shock absorber, and therefore preventing abnormal cone movements. This extends the life of the entire speaker. The open-back cabinets we normally use, because they do not restrict cone movements, do nothing to even out the programming and restrict cone movements, and so speakers will not handle as much power in an open-back cabinet as they would in a properly designed sealed or ported cabinet.

It's also important to keep in mind that open-back cabinets are the least efficient of all designs. A properly designed sealed or ported cabinet will give several times more audio output for a given electrical input than an open back cabinet will. (The cabinet tends to focus and concentrate the sound.) Speakers themselves are notoriously inefficient devices, and most all will convert only a tiny fraction of the electrical wattage input into actual audio wattage output. Some speakers are rated as low a 3-5% efficient, so for every 100 electrical watts you feed them, they are giving you 3-5 actual watts of audio output.
Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2022 5:10 am    

I too have a blown D130 speaker. I plan to buy this kit and do it myself. I figure it will be a good learning experience. There are 16 positive reviews so what do you have to lose? They haven’t made these speakers for over 50 years. Go for it.

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/jbl-recone-kit-aftermarket-jbl-e130-RK-JBLE130-8.html
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2022 2:51 pm    

You might as well, Steve. Even the best speaker that's not working properly is fairly useless until it's fixed. Cool