| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone remember this one?
Clyde Willis

Denham Springs, LA 70726
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2002 5:46 pm    

Does anyone remember "Hawiaii Tatoo" by the "Waikiks" circa 1965 (around Christmas time)? The tune got a good bit of air play on the rock stations in North Alabama. Ring a bell with anybody out there?
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2002 10:18 pm    

Sure. What about it ? Excellent tune and it's a quite easy to play, nothing to it really. However, the guy who did a great job on that song was (the late) Keith Worley of London, England. I never heard anyone play it better than Keith. I had the fun of playing rhythm to him on stage when he came over the pond a few times. He was one fine gentleman and steel guitarist.
Died far too young of the big "C" a few years ago.
Clyde Willis

Denham Springs, LA 70726
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2002 6:11 pm    

George,
Thanks so much for the info. The song has been special for me as it was that Christmas (1965) that I got my Fender Delux Reverb. Every time I heard the song I thought about my new amp. I still have the amp and even after all these years I still remember the thrill of having a real amp to play my cheap guitar through and that song that sounded so exotic to my young ears. Over the years the name of the group faded, but the impact of the song never did. A few years back I started playing the lap steel and the urge to hear the song again started working on me. Recently I did a search on the web and found the name of the group but was unable to find out anything about them before you posted your reply. I realy appreciate the info - thanks again
C.W.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2002 6:50 pm    

Actually Clyde, I was of very little assistance to you. I'm certain the recording which meant so much to you was probably the original out of Holland played by (the late) Bill Buysman's Kilima Hawaiians. This was the recording which was to become world famous. I am unsure, (perhaps someone on the FORUM can correct me), but it was either Rudy Wairata or Coy Periera who played steel on Hawai'i Tatoo...I'm inclined to think it was Coy. I mentioned Keith Worley of London simply because I feel he could interpret that song far better than the Kilima Hawaiians did. He may have recorded it at one time or another, however I have never heard it. I just played rhythm guitar to his live performances when he was in the U.S.

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 09 June 2002 at 10:00 AM.]

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2002 11:32 am    

The Waikiki's Hawaiian guitarist was Jo Van Wetter, no longer with us but remembered by all when we play "Hawaii Tattoo"
BTW George, John Marsden sends his regards.
Basil. www.waikiki-islanders.com

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

http://www.waikiki-islanders.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Clyde Willis

Denham Springs, LA 70726
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2002 11:00 am    

Basil,
Thanks for the post; I really appreciate the information on the "Waikikis". Just this week I received a copy of a cd called "Aloah Hawaii The Best Of the Waikikis" which contains 26 of their songs. It was a real blast to hear "Hawaii Tatoo" again after 38 years! The tune still does a lot for me even after all these years. Thanks again for your reply.
CW
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2002 6:32 pm    

Hi Bas...mahalo...I stand corrected. I thought it was Bill Buysman's group however you have corrected me. Haven't heard from John for a long time...I sure wish he'd purchase a computer and join the Forum. What a treat that would be for all the Forum members!
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2002 5:49 am    

George, Pat and myself have been trying to get John Marsden "on-line" for quite a while now ........ I think he is thinking maybe sooner rather than later.
The Waikiki Islanders are going to the HSGA do next year,George, will we see you there ?
Also there will be at least 10 HSGA members/players going from the UK.
Clyde, I think that the Waikiki's recordings were the main reason for the Waikiki Islanders getting their record contract with EMI records, without the proven popularity of pseudo Hawaiian music by the dutch and Belgian groups, later European groups would not have been given a chance by the major record companies.
Basil Henriques
BTW check out the sound clips on my web site www.waikiki-islanders.com in the section "basil Bio" (Link below) there are 117 of them to listen to.....some of them are full length others 45 seconds or so. Let me know what you think www.waikiki-islanders.com/html/basil_bio.html

[This message was edited by basilh on 16 June 2002 at 06:59 AM.]

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2002 2:47 am    

[This message was edited by basilh on 22 June 2002 at 03:57 AM.]