| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Do I need a longer bar?
Brett Hansen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2022 5:28 pm    

Going by how Paul Franklin teaches that the butt of the bar should anchor in the web between the thumb and index, my index finger hangs out way past the nose of the bar. Do I need a longer bar so that the nose extends to the tip of my index finger? It's confusing when the Travis Toy Tutorials and the old Jeff Newman material teach something completely different. Glad I'm not trying to learn how to fly a plane from 3 different guys.
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2022 5:58 pm    

I think the bar looks right. But you don't have to tuck it quite so far into that web between the fingers if you don't want.

Look at the way that other Steelers hold their index finger. Some lay it down flat, some put their fingertip on the tip of the bar (so their finger is arched), some curl their finger. You should try all of those and end up with whatever is most comfortable for you.

And yes, every teacher has their own thing going...
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2022 6:50 pm    

I find it hard to tell by just looking. For me, the issue is whether or not it is comfortable, and especially, "Can I pick up the bar by its base end and point the nose onto strings comfortably?", since that's a move I need to make fairly often and can challenge my hand.

I have long fingers - quite a bit longer than normal - and I simply can't do that latter move comfortably at all with a standard 3-3/8" long x 7/8" diameter bar. I went to 3-9/16" long x 15/16" diameter bar, and that made all the difference in the world for me. But that's me. I would try to get my hands on some bars of slightly longer length and/or diameter and see how they feel in comparison to what you now have.
Brett Hansen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2022 7:45 pm    

The bar on the picture is a 7/8" x 4 inch long bar
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2022 8:43 pm    

4 inches is a very long bar. I sincerely doubt you need a longer bar.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2022 9:14 pm    

From the picture, I don't think you would want a longer bar. You Want your ring finger to extend past the end of the bar a bit. Pull your hand and bar back and the ring finger will auto block 1 or 2 strings if needed.

I had played for years with a regular 3 3/8" 10 string bar. I bought a 12 Uni set up guitar and a 1" X 3 3/4" bar was in the sale. That 3/8" helped. I found with the longer bar setting tight in the web between my thumb and index finger, Gave me better more accurate control on fast moves especially down the neck past the 15th fret. If a bar is large enough diameter, So your finger bones can go below the center of the bar and not touch the strings, Will give you a more locking grip on the bar when your hands get sweaty and slick.

Good Bar Control brings confidence when playing.
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2022 7:51 am    

The 7/8 x 3-3/8 bar has been the standard in the industry as far back as I can remember.

Yep, bigger, longer, heavier & lighter bars are out there but I don't think that what fits one person necessarilly fits another person.

I've tried them all and keep coming back to the "standard".

If your bar is comfortable to you, then you don't need to look any further.

I've spent countless dollars buying equipment because "john doe" said it was the best and it seems to never gain me anything more than what I was already happy with.

Just my opinion
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2022 7:29 pm    

Yes me too, in my novice opinion, it already looks too long. I don't have it jammed in my palm. You really only use the front of it and move fore & aft for what strings you are playing. To me it's something you want to move around and handle and I would try the standard size.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2022 3:19 am    

What Bill and Jon just said! Winking

Quote:
Going by how Paul Franklin teaches that the butt of the bar should anchor in the web between the thumb and index...

I don't know where (or if) he said that, but if you look at the intro to this video, he's obviously not doing that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTo0iRDB4Rs

(tihigmait)

¥