| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Questions about Sho-Bud LDG colors
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2022 3:20 pm    

I know the “standard” color for Sho-Bud LDG was deep green. Sometimes, because of the original dye that was used, the original green color would fade quite a bit and end up brown.

My question is were there other colors used for the LDG? If you ordered one back then could you get any color that Sho-Bud used?

Thanks
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2022 3:28 pm    

I have seen them in black, Red dye under lacquer, and I think even natural.. Not sure how many colors were offered, but as our friend Ricky says, in those years Sho Bud was a custom shop and would do pretty much anything a customer wanted in one of their guitars, if they were willing to pay for it. That is a great question and I hope a few more guys chime in, and maybe even a few pics of custom color LDG models....

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2022 3:29 pm    

Yes; you could custom order any color LDG....and mainly Paul Franklin Sr. would do the custom orders; but the LDG had to have "SP" under it and NOT "MODEL" and it had to be Emerald Green to be a LDG MODEL and the other colors were Special Paint; so "SP".
Otherwise; you will see so many different amount of fading the original green...as they used "Food Coloring" and "Nitrocellulose Lacquer" and that easily faded depending on how much it is in outside light or not.
Ricky
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2022 5:35 pm    

I asked my question because I have a left-handed dark brown LDG “model” that came my way. I assumed its original green color had changed to the dark brown.

However, I removed its light brown vinyl pad and the area covered by it was the steel’s dark brown, too. Usually, when there is fading that covered area remains green because light never gets to it. Also, the light brown vinyl pad looks original, too.

I’m guessing the LDG was special-ordered because it’s left-handed. So, perhaps the original owner wanted the dark brown finish, too. On another note, it’s got 5 knee levers.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2022 7:01 pm    

Well Eric; after giving more specific info about YOUR LDG....yes most likely it was a special/custom order; as Sho~bud did not just line up Left handed steels to be sold off the floor...ah...ha...
Also Lloyd Green's endorsement did not last when Gretsch took over; therefore the "LDG MODEL" did go on many special/custom orders after that. What is your serial number?? Do you have a pics of top and underneath??
Ricky
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2022 7:19 am    

Ricky,

As always, thanks for your input. You’re the go-to man for Sho-Bud knowledge. Plus your restoration work is outstanding. You did another LDG of mine years ago.

The serial number of this left-handed LDG is 8392. 2+2 changer, thin pedals, square front, non-pot metal undercarriage and other features as pictured below.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2022 10:38 am    

Wow Eric; born February 1975...BAM...one of the first double raise/double lower changers...and yes, still round cross-shafts; two hole pullers and curved knees; Very good. Now looking under at the pic you sent; shows many holes and predrilled holes; leading to believe it may of started at a double-10 in '75. Then at some point stripped down and re-stained that brown and pad added and logo stickers put on either above or below lacquer(including the LDG sticker). But wow look at that figure in the maple...gorgeous.....
Is there another window filled in at endplate C6 side where you tune nylon??
So you said I did a LDG for you some time ago?? WAS IT LEFT HANDED??? I don't remember working on a left handed one?? did you change to a "south-paw" Later in life???ha....sorry; not making fun...my older brother David was left handed and back when I was 11 years old; I spent a whole year trying to be left handed like my big brother...and Lloyd Green is left handed and He's my Mentor; but plays Right handed.
Ricky
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2022 11:10 am    

Ricky,

Thanks for the info!

The endplate has a single cutout which, I think, means it had to have been cast on perhaps a custom basis, being left-handed.

I noted the extra holes, too, and, like yourself, thought perhaps it started out as a D10. But I’m not sure of that because there is only a single cutout in its top for the
pickup & changer. And that cutout is on the “wrong” (LH) side!

No, I didn’t switch from being a right-handed player to a lefty. I just ran into this steel at a guitar show and traded a couple of things for it. The LDG you worked on for me was a RH one. I still have it.

This is the first lefty-steel I’ve had a chance to see up close, let alone own. It is kind of mind-warping because everything on it is, well, backwards or like a mirror image of what I’m used to seeing. Even the copedant is different with 4&8 being raised or lowered via KL’s on the righhand side. 2&9 are lowered on the inside left. The vertical located on the RH side lowers 5&10. And the LL lever raises strings 1&7 a half-tone.

Thanks again for your help.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2022 12:30 pm    

OK cool Eric; well it certainly is a custom job and I'm sure plays and sounds great.
Have fun.
Ricky
Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2022 2:46 pm    

I’m thinking the screw holes were pre-drilled for a RH guitar but left the factory as a lefty. Also, that inspection sticker would normally be at the changer end, which it is in your guitar.
Nice guitar!

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2022 6:20 pm    

Jerry; I/we never said it was a right handed ever. The pre-drill holes for a left handed D-10 on front apron are indeed pedal 8; 7; 6; 5;and 4 are closer to the changer end as you can see for this left handed Sho~Bud. Eric; can you run your fingernail to the edge of the "LDG" sticker and can you feel the edge OR is it slick like it is UNDER the Nitro-lacquer??? I can now see a shadow for the 8;7;6..etc crossbar brackets and stop brackets on the front apron. They never pre-drilled and did not screw screws in mounting something when putting it together; so I believe it left the shop in '75 as a D-10 Pro~II Custom; then at some point stripped and refinished cause that "PRO~II CUSTOM" sticker had to come off that was under Nitro-lacquer; then refinished with nitro-lacquer covering the Sho~bud and LDG new water decals....
Also the steels at that time with double/double did not leave with the adjustable return-spring tension screws at end plate like this one has. Course I still haven't seen the underneath endplates on both sides yet...ha...and full body underneath.
Ricky
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2022 7:54 am    

Ricky,

I just double checked and both the “LDG model” and “Sho-Bud” writing/logo are not stickers. No, both are under the lacquer for sure. I’ve included some more pics of its endplates.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2022 9:50 am    

Ok Eric; thanks for the pics. So many non original stuff going on; as the endplates were custom made for that; many things moved around underneath; so who knows if that was original body/aprons to a new LDG build...I'm guessing they stained it that color and nitro-lacquered the finish with the shobud and ldg decals on and made a left handed LDG..and somethings moved around to fit player better through the years.
Hang onto this one...as it is very unique and custom...and yes SHO~BUD was truly a Custom Steel Guitar shop....as this is one of MANY that proves that.
Ricky