| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Honest value of a used Lefty pedal steel
Bryan Ouellette

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2022 8:47 am    

Hello fellow members. I have a Left handed Mullen intermediate S-10 with Five knees and 3 pedals in good to very good condition, with case and leg bag. It hasn't been played alot and has been in the closet for at least 10 years. the intermediate model is very similar to the current Discovery model (Same changer and under carriage construction) . the end caps are chrome and the front bib has polished aluminum strips. The setup is Emmons (LEFT HANDED)
RKV vertical lowering 5 & 10 with a split, LKL lowers 2 & 9, LKR raises 1,2 lowers 6 with split. RKL & RKR lowers/raises E's.
I just want an honest estimate of its value. I haven't played it due to acquiring a D-10, hung on to it thinking I may use it, But have decide to buy a SD-10 prolite 5x5 instead. Thanks to all in advance who give me some input.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2022 9:41 am    

Leftys are not easy to come by for new buyers. Thats good for the seller.. On the other hand, not many buyers out there either... I would get a few opinions before you decide, but if it were mine, I would ask $1800 firm and see what happens..

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2022 9:46 am    

It is such a difficult and interesting question. I have a couple of left handed steel playing friends for whom finding a good steel is a huge headache and who have paid a premium to buy a new one and who are resigned to having to pay whatever they have to on the open market. Scarcity. On the other hand, for the seller, the market is relatively small. I guess it comes down to how motivated you are to sell and how willing you are to wait for the right buyer to come along.

I did some recent setup work on a Discovery and it is gem of guitar. I'd need multiple pictures to get a feeling for how closely related yours is to the Discovery.

If it closely compares, my suggested asking price would be around $2300. More if you don't mind waiting and maybe negotiating or are hoping for perfect timing with the needs of a highly motivated and frustrated lefty. I've seen used righty Discovery models going for around $2500.

My price suggestion is moot if your steel doesn't have the nice refinements I found in the Discovery.
Steve Leal

Orange CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2022 12:35 am    

Hi Bryan. Hit me up when you are ready to sell the Mullen. I currently only have my G2 and would like to buy a second lefty steel as a backup. Send me a couple photos!

Thanks, and hope you are doing well!
Stephen
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2022 7:51 am    

Search here for Mullen Intermediate or Semi-Pro. There have been a few of them come and go here.

The Discovery model is bit of an upgrade from this having more of the current mechanics similar to the pro models. I recall Charlie Stepp had one of these back in the 90s. I believe it sold for about $1500, but that was 30 yrs. ago so.

Leftys are kind of far and few between so that helps your cause even though it's a narrower market.

There are a few other links in this thread also.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2181491&highlight=mullen+s10+sale#2181491