| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ..."Featuring Jerry Douglas"
Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2002 9:20 pm    

I've been hearing "Alison Krauss + Union Station featuring Jerry Douglas" for a couple of years now. It was on a large scrolling billboard on I-40 for several days when they played here in 2000, It's on the AKUS website, and announced at each performance. It finally dawned on me tonight while watching the boring Flameworthy Video Awards, that Mr. Douglas has brought our steel guitar front & center to mainstream media. Considering the talent in that group, Jerry's billing shows the world what a "heavy hitter" he really is. Listen to his latest cd "Lookout for Hope" and it will reinforce what we already knew about him, and at the same time, surprise you with how he has taken his instrument to the next level.

We should all be proud of him showing the world how cool this instrument really is!
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2002 7:50 am    

If you read "Bluegrass Unlimited" magazine this month, there's an article about AKUS+ Jerry Douglas, and he describes how, as a condition of employment, he would be a featured part of the band. As great a solo artist as Jerry is, he really shines as a band member, and backs up vocalists as well as anybody!
Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2002 2:19 pm    

Saw AK/US featuring Jerry Douglas a few weeks ago in Ft. Worth, Texas. The whole show was great. No light shows, no set, no fireworks, no costumes, not even a hat!

Just great music. JD did two solo pieces that absolutely filled the auditorium with sound, wonderful sound. One solo was an Irish tune that had the most beautiful deep baritone woodsy sound, with high singing strings on top. The second was a delta blues sounding song on a metal body that led into Dan Tyminski singing "man of Constant Sorrow". Wow.

Used his own mic on a stand, and put the guitars under it. Sometimes it looked like he used an internal pickup. Maybe just for tuning. I did see what I thought was an old Conn Strobe tuner that he checked frequently.

He used 4 different steel guitars that night. One could really tell the difference between the metal body guitar and the wood body guitars. I know that some are Dobro brand and at least one is a Scheerhorn (sp?) brand.

Yes, people are hearing that sound more often.

I agree, his new CD is stunning.

------------------
Fender Stringmaster T-8
Fender Strat
Dobro
PV S2000
Dennis Olearchik

Newtown, PA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2002 5:59 pm    

Stephen, for those of us who can't run out to the local Barnes & Noble right now, can you tell us why Jerry asked for the "featuring Jerry Douglas" tag as a part of his employment ?
Tim Tyner

Ayden, North Carolina U.S.A
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2002 7:19 pm    

I agree guys,Jerry is the man.Do you guys
like his solo on Travis Tritt's Modern Day
Bonnie and Clyde?Hope some of you noticed
Rob Ickes get a piece of Earl's Foggy
Mountain Breakdown on Flameworthy.I think
it's great that these great players are
finally getting the recognition they deserve.
I saw Rob Live in Raleigh a couple of months
ago with Blue Highway.He is awesome.He plays
so clean and with great speed.Never saw capo
even once.
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2002 7:33 am    

Tim; I've got to agree wholeheartedly with you on that one !! I asked about his playing on that TT song in another post because it struck me as so well played and so totally fitting for the scene and story. It was almost like a long lost history lesson that someone has brought back to the daily surface once more.

Regards, Paul
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2002 8:04 am    

Dennis, who is Noble, and where's his Barn?
But seriously, to paraphrase the article, to avoid copyright stuff(don't want anybody mad at me for calling it a "Dobro")--Jerry didn't want his solo work overlooked, so he gets special billing and time during each show to highlight his own work. And, he's still maintaining a separate, solo career, when AKUS isn't working.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2002 4:05 pm    

Tim, you got it going on! And have you heard Randy Kohrs? Not only does his playing set the house on fire, but he sings like a bird, too. I stood next to him, watching him jamming at IBMA last October, and I still ain't got a clue how he does it.
Tim Tyner

Post  Posted 14 Jun 2002 8:18 pm    

Sthephen,I haven't heard Randy but after
your comments I look foward to it.If you
find out that he's coming my way please let
me know!
Best Wishes,Tim
Tim Tyner

Post  Posted 14 Jun 2002 8:22 pm    

Stephen,sorry I misspelled your name,it's
been a long day.
Regards,Tim
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2002 12:53 pm    

No problem, Tom.
Jim Peter

Mendon,Mich USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2002 9:49 am    

Jerry Douglas came to Kalamazoo a few weeks ago without Allison and played two hours of instrumentals with his four piece band. The show was simply incredible. No vocals were necessary, his instrument conveyed more feeling than many vocalists could ever hope too. Jerry has definitely taken his instrument to the next level. The great thing about Jerry is that he really enjoys playing music and you could tell by his show. Even though there were only 200-300 people in attendance he gave it everything he had. He remarked about how he likes playing the State Theater in Kazoo and mentioned that he has been here a few other times with another band but it seemed like there were a lot more people here those other times.

Usually when I go to a Steel Guitar show I come home inspired and hop on my steel guitar and play it for a couple of hours. After Jerry's show I thought about coming home and burning my dobro. If Jerry and his band come anywhere near you, you have got to see them play.

My favorite JD CD is Skip, Hop and Wobble with Russ Berenburg and Edgar Meyer
John Reali

Arlington, VA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2002 3:18 pm    

I saw The Jerry Douglas band a few nights ago, and it was truly spectacular. I actually had dreams that night of finding a Scheerhorn in a pawn shop for sale,for next to nothing. In reality, I just can't swing the Two year wait list, or the high price, even though I'm sure it is worth it.