| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA Classic S-10 borrowed from Tom Bradshaw
Elan Bustos

Oakland, CA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2022 10:32 am    

Hi everyone, this is my first post here! About me I guess: I just graduated high school in Oakland, CA and I'm going to college next year. I've been playing classical guitar for most of my life, and I picked up bluegrass fiddle and lap steel over the pandemic.

I got in touch with Tom Bradshaw after reading about him and having trouble finding anyone else in my area (Oakland, CA/east bay) with any leads on pedal steel. I emailed him and he got right back to me, and instead of showing me guitars to buy, he said he would lend me one for a month. So I went to his shop at his house and he showed me around and then showed me how to set up and take down the instrument. Tom is really one of the nicest people I've met. He clearly wants the best for everyone, and he'll go so far as lending out his equipment to make sure people don't get stuck with an instrument they don't want. Pretty much everything I read about him here is true!

So here's the instrument. It's an MSA Classic S-10 with 3 pedals and 4 knee levers in E9 copedent. The pedal bar it has right now is from a different instrument because Tom is restoring the one that came with the MSA. All the springs are new and adjustable.

There is also a music stand available, as well as this old pedal steel instructional book. Tom has multiple of these for sale, and they have accompanying CDs. The book could keep you busy for a while if you're just starting out with instruments, and it's a nice intro to pedal steel if you're more experienced.

So call or email Tom if you're interested in any of these items (including the pedal steel)! You can just look up Tom Bradshaw on Google to find the contact info.
Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2022 11:57 am     Tom is the best

Hi Elan,
Tom is the best kind of people there ever was.
Always been a treasure to the steel guitar community.
Looks like he also gave you one of his Brad's Racks for the music.

Your post reminded me of when I first met Tom about 1977 or 78.
Stopped in at his house for a short visit and went home with an arm full of LP's that he insisted I take without paying.
Within a short time I ended up doing a column in the Steel Guitar magazine he was starting up.

I really should make an effort to visit him the next time I go to Northern California. Have not seen him in person in years and always liked him and his family.
I think the last time I was him was when Jerry Byrd played in Concord. That must have been 1990 or so. Way too long.

Good luck with your life and the pedal steel guitar. Just remember that once your start playing the darned thing you get addicted to it before you know what has happened.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2022 12:28 pm    

Mel Bay publishes a E9th steel guitar chord chart, The best 7 dollars or so you can invest. Shows pedals, levers and string to pick for the chords. all Maj. Minor, 7th, Augmented and Deminish chords.
b0b sells them here on the forum, At top of page under instructions.

I played that guitars brother from 1999 to 2017, It now is in new student owners hands in Ill. and he loves it.

Welcome to the Journey, Good Luck and Happy Steelin.
Reed Ohrbom

Hemet, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2022 4:16 pm     Mel Bay Chord Chart

Mel Bay publishes a E9th steel guitar chord chart, The best 7 dollars or so you can invest. Shows pedals, levers and string to pick for the chords. all Maj. Minor, 7th, Augmented and Deminish chords.
b0b sells them here on the forum, At top of page under instructions.

Bobby; I don't seem to find the info for purchasing a Mel Bay Chord Chart from b0b. Where is it? Thanks

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2022 5:20 pm    

Here it is:
www.steelguitarshopper.com/products/Pedal-Steel-Guitar-Chord-Chart-E9-Tuning.html

Tom Bradshaw has always been my hero. He got me into pedal steel in the early 70s, answered all my letters back then, and ultimately donated nearly his entire stock of magazines, LPs, and cassettes to the forum to keep us afloat. He's the best friend a steel guitarist could have. Love that guy!

Oakland, CA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2022 2:01 pm    

Incredible stories! Probably the best part of reading Steel Guitar Forum isn't the knowledge but the stories. Everyone seems to know about each other somehow even if they never met, and it's great. I'll probably pass on the chord chart because my music theory knowledge is pretty good, and it's fun to figure it out myself... and with Tom's help--we emailed back and forth a bit and I ended up finding 3 ways to play diminished chords (not very well, but I got the idea now Wink )
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2022 7:31 pm    

Reed
To find Mel-Bays chord chart, Got to INSTRUCTION at top left corner of Forum page, Go the page 5, 3rd row down far right.
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2022 11:11 pm    

Tom has always been very helpful to me over many years. I bought a new and redesigned Webb 614E from him that he produced on a limited run of 20 or so. It had an internal aluminium sound chamber. Needless to say, the build quality and tone of the amp is superb. I purchased it minus a speaker to keep the shipping cost down from the USA to the UK. Tom was happy to do that for me. He is such an obliging guy, and is a jewel in the steel guitar community.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,