| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lightening the load
Martin Yeomans

Macedon, NY USA (near Rochester)
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 8:19 am    

Hey fellow steelers - reaching the age where it's getting too hard to lug all this heavy stuff to the gig. I'm using a NV112 for both the Tele and the steel , but lifting the 112 into and out of the van is getting a lot harder on the old back. Just had a thought about splitting the 112 between the head and the speaker box, and installing the head into a SKB type rack so I can then handle the two parts separately. Have any of you tried this ? I thought seriously about going the Quilter route with them having so may options available for light weight rigs, but the gigs now are fewer and farther between to justify the cost of new gear. I just don't know if the dimensions of the 112 chassis are compatible with the SKB type racks, but, if it were to fit, it would be a low cost solution. Any ideal would be appreciated.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 8:35 am    

Yes I've done it 20 years ago. See my picture; nothing in that picture weighs over 25 lbs. It is a fender twin; but green tolex cabinets made for me and Lloyd Green by Rick V. Johnson; he used "Pine" and me and Lloyd both play through JBL Alnico Mag speakers(a"D" or "K") and they are NOT heavey speakers like BW and many ceramic mag speakers are.

Ricky
Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 8:53 am    

Martin, here’s Rick Johnson’s email:
rickjohnsoncabs@gmail.com

I had him build me split cabs for a Nashville 400 and he does great and reasonably priced work.

Good luck…Carl
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 9:14 am    

Rack cases like the SKB are super light weight, so I can see your reasoning there, but....RE: mounting the chassis in an SKB style rack box, there are a few things to consider.

Rack boxes have rails for mounting items by using the unit's built in rack ears. The NV112 of course, being a combo mount, doesn't have rack ears.

Rack cases are designed for 19" width conventional rack mount gear, so if your 112 is wider it wouldn't fit.

Also, consider the depth space that the amp's transformer needs. I've seen combo amps mounted in rack cases, but I don't know what all was involved to make 'em fit.

So, a head cabinet per Ricky and others, including myself, would be the way to go. That way, a cabinet can be built to mount to size in the same style as in the combo, but in just a shorter case.

There are materials like baltic birch ply etc. that are somewhat lighter than others and with proper engineering, smaller dimension lumber, say 1/2 in. can be used in building it to save a little more weight.
Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 9:19 am    

What speaker do you have in the NV112? If you don't already have one, a neo speaker will reduce the weight quite a bit.
Martin Yeomans

Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 9:22 am     Lightening the load

Thanks to Ricky, Carl and Jerry for the quick responses. Looks like the rack mount deal is out, but I will email about the split cases right now to see if that might work out for me. Thank you very much for the suggestions.
Martin Yeomans

Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 9:40 am     Lightening the Load

Chris, Thanks for the reply. I did a little research on just replacing the speaker as you suggested, but it looks like the newer light weight models might only be a few pounds less than the factory speaker, so it probably wouldn't help much if that info is correct.
RANDALL COX

Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 10:29 am    

Talk to Tommy Huff
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 12:18 pm    

I had Rick Johnson make a cabinet for my NV400 chassis. I could never afford to have him build me a matching speaker cabinet, so I just use the speaker in the original cabinet . Big difference.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 12:56 pm    

I sent you a Private Message Martin…Carl
Marc Muller

Neptune,NJ USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2022 4:53 am    

Using this this weekend. Amazing how great the steel sounds through it. It'll be right next to me and mic'd through the system so don't need to push too loud. So light. Now if I could shave off 20 lbs off the steel!

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2022 7:48 am    

Marc…try split cases for the Steel, plus I would consider light legs on the Steel.

I have both and they feel like feathers. I am sure interested in hearing how everyone is coming up with ideas to lighten the amp weight. I have the Nashville 112 and yes it is starting to get heavy.

Last edited by Larry Ball on 14 Apr 2022 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2022 8:17 am    

My Milkman Half & Half 15 combo does the job just fine. Approximately 30 pounds,smaller footprint than an NV,and muscular enough to keep up even when un-miced. Pricey,but it was worth it to me. It'll do double duty for steel and six-string, but with only one channel you'll probably want to EQ the amp's tone controls for the instrument you use the most, and put a graphic in the lesser-used instrument's signal chain.