| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help please choosing staggered LKL
Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2022 7:11 pm    

I'd love advice on what to do with a staggered E9 LKL. I've ordered a D10 G2 and need to tell them what I want soon. I've only played a GFI D10 with 4 knee levers. I've been told to stock up on levers as built, rather than put them on myself as I learn, which makes sense to me.

I visited a great player near me for advice but his right and left knees are switched which might affect what I should do (his staggered LKL raises 6 and lowers 9 a half step). I have a brain but it is on fire and also don't want to request something that won't work with the changer (I'm fairly new to PSG). I have looked on the web and the forum copedent links-not too much about this.

* I'm stuck on lowering/raising E with left knee.
* I like and will keep RKL 6th string lower (as well as 1st &2nd string raise).
* I will probably stick with LKV that lowers B to Bb as typical.
* I haven't decided what to do with pedal 0 and 4 (probably put Franklin on 4).

If you have staggered LKL please tell me what you do and why.

Thanks very much!

Jon
Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2022 10:27 pm    

The 6th lower on the same kneelever as the 1st and 2nd raises is not optimal, I think, as it prevents full use of the raises with all strings and the A and B pedals.
What I have is the 6th lower and a 1st string half tone raise on one knee lever and the 1st and second ”unison” raises on the staggered LLK along with a 7th string whole tone raise. That`s what I would recommend…
Cody Stewart

Traverse City Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2022 4:51 am    

I agree with olli. Lowering string 6 a whole tone on its own lever is best. I think it's best placed on the staggered LKL and you could also raise string 1 a half tone there. Musically, it's better to raise string 7 on the same lever that raises strings 1 & 2. So many opt out of raising string 7 a whole tone and I feel it's a mistake. Sense a G2 does splits, I highly recommend a LKV lowering strings 5 & 10 a half tone with a the tunable split in between both notes. In case you don't already, You'll want to lower string 9 a half tone with the same lever that drops string 2 a half and whole tone. I see many guitars with no lower on 9. What a loss.

To me, that's a bulletproof copedant. You would have everytinhg on 6 knee levers for E9th. The Franklin Pedal is cool, but it's not necessary. Most guys have them and never use them.

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2022 5:12 am    

Hey Jon:

I have staggered LL levers for the E9th tuning on my D-10 Emmons guitars. I would suggest trying the B to Bb change (strings 5 & 10) on the front, LL lever. I've been using that change in that location instead of the normal Left-Vert for 40+ yrs and for me, it is much more comfortable to use. I use the Emmons pedal setup and they are in the normal 1,2,3 position. If I played the Day pedal setup that Front LL wouldn't work that well.

I'd still get the vert lever and play around with what to do with it. At this moment I'm raising 4 and 8 a full tone but have done other changes such as the full tone, 7th string raise that Olli mentioned as well. I put my least used change on the vert lever as it is the least comfortable lever to engage for me.

Good luck and enjoy !!
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2022 6:38 am    

I'm not recommending for or against. Just telling you what I've done with my second LKL (front).
-- I raise String 4 E > F# .
-- I also raise String 10 B > C# (it's actually a U-12 and it's string 9).

That second one is semi-useful. The first on string 4 I use all the time.
Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2022 8:29 am     Staggered LL Knee Lever

Olli Haavisto wrote:
The 6th lower on the same kneelever as the 1st and 2nd raises is not optimal, I think, as it prevents full use of the raises with all strings and the A and B pedals.
What I have is the 6th lower and a 1st string half tone raise on one knee lever and the 1st and second ”unison” raises on the staggered LLK along with a 7th string whole tone raise. That`s what I would recommend…

I also agree with Olli. I would lower the 6th string a whole tome and raise the 1st string a half tone with the RKL.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------
Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2022 6:24 pm    

Jon Light wrote:
I'm not recommending for or against. Just telling you what I've done with my second LKL (front).
-- I raise String 4 E > F# .
-- I also raise String 10 B > C# (it's actually a U-12 and it's string 9).

That second one is semi-useful. The first on string 4 I use all the time.

Jon Light that's it. Back at the guitar I remember that's something I've wanted, to raise that like pedal C but without raising 5. Sweet. You even spell your first name correctly.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2022 6:02 am    

For what it's worth (mine has 'Day' pedals).

E9:
P1 - raises 4 & 5 a step
P2 - raises G#s to A
P3 - raises 5 & 10 a step.
P4 - lowers 5 & 6 a step

LKL - lowers the Es
LKL2 - raises 7th to G#, 1 & 2 to G# and E.
LKV - raises 6 a step
LKR - raises the Fs

RKL - lowers Bs to Bb (a vital pull, in my view)
RKR - lowers 2 to D/C#, 9 to C# (another must-have!) and lowers 10 to A.

Note: I prefer raising the 7th a hole step rather than lowering the 6th and splitting with my P2 - I've found it easy to half-push that LKL2 and get the seventh note with pedals down.
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2022 12:30 pm    

All of my guitars have the second LKL taking the G#’s to G.