| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Help getting Started!
Brandon Roper

Carrollton, TX, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2002 8:03 am    

Hey guys,
I've been trying to obtain a pedal steel for quite some time now (9 months) and the funds just wont let me do it right now, but I dont want to waste any more time just daydreaming about it. I am going to be borrowing a lap steel in hopes that I can at least start to get some of the hand techniques down. My question....What is the BEST beginner lap steel video(s) for me. I currently play mostly 60'and 70's country-rock(bakersfield), Trad. Country and Folk on a standard six string. Thanks-Brandon
Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2002 5:40 pm    

Glad you can borrow a lap steel.
Perhaps the person you are borrowing it from can give you some tips.

I would recommend a C6th tuning, whether you have 6 or 8 strings. I would recommend Cindy Cashdollar's 2 videos on learning western swing. For her videos you will want to tune
(Lo to high) ACEGACEG. If you have six strings, leave off the low A and C. This will match the setup in her videos.

You may borrow mine. I live in Dallas.

Sounds like you coming from regular six string guitar. I have travelled that road. Played elctric, acoustic, bass, 12 string, etc.

The hardest transition for me was the right hand. Thumb pick, finger picks. Watch how a pro positions the right hand, the thumb and the fingers.

I am playing non pedal and 6 and 8 string dobro. Have not tried pedals yet.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2002 9:51 am    

For what it's worth.......I'd recommend that you consider a 7 or 8 string, single neck lap steel. That way, you'd be developing your finger picking technique on a string spacing set-up similar to a pedal steel guitars. For some folks making the transition from wide spaced 6-string guitars to closer strung 7-8 string models is just another complication that is actually unnecessary. Just my opinion, of course.
Ebay has offered quite a few different manufacturers models, of late. Some large music stores actually have great buys on these lap steels back in their dust collecting trash bins. Reasonable prices and it's the same equipment, right? Good Luck to you!
mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2002 10:02 am    

Hate to say it, but, I'd wait and keep looking for a Pedal steel...you can find 'em at a reasonable cost if you keep looking for a single 10...I play lap and Pedal is quite different...get a Sho-Bud maverick or something similar because if that's what you want...that's a life time commitment to learning in itself..just my 2 cents...
Mike
Larry Phleger

DuBois, PA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2002 10:48 am    

I agree with Mikey. I'd recommend considering a Carter Starter. They have all the pedals you need to play just about anything. They're light weight, sturdy, and inexpensive. IMHO, Carter is hard to beat.
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2002 1:07 pm    

gotta go along with Ray on this one.

God bless you in your quests,

carl