| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anybody Using Benders w/ Dobro G Tuning? Also, bridge??
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2022 11:39 pm    

Hey,

On a whim, I tuned my Georgeboard 25" scale steel with Certano benders, that I usually keep in Open D, up to Dobro G. Then I set the benders to raise string 3 from G to A, and string 2 from B to C.

So far, I'm loving it.

I found with open D, I was just aping some of my pedal steel A/B pedal moves, and it seemed redundant. This opens up some more sus chords and "open" sounds in Dobro tuning (which I'm more comfortable with, anyway).

Is anyone else using benders in this tuning?

Also, the bridge and nut on this steel are brass.....not made for benders....and the bridge is already starting to "sitar" buzz a bit. Can anyone suggest a replacement, or less soft, more "slidey" material for at least the bridge?

Thanks!

- Jim

Here's the bridge style/size (before Certano installation), so you have an idea.....

Brian Evans

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2022 3:53 am    

Brass is a little softer than bronze, bronze is quite low friction and somewhat harder than brass, but it's hard to tell one from the other without samples to compare. I guess the things to do are to minimize the break angle of the string over the bridge, people think you need a ton of break angle to get sustain but even as low as a couple of degrees works fine (think of the break angle of the string under your steel, it's like nothing). Experiment - raise the bender up with shims to reduce the break angle, maybe? Bigsby invented a rocking bridge for his tailpiece, I have one and it works really well. Or just go the rest of the way and get the roller bridge that the Certano people sell.
George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2022 7:32 am     Roller Nut - low cost

Perhaps this might do. .390 spacing for a typical HB pickup spread. Same as the Brass bar.

Yes these are the balls from guitar strings. The price is right though, 25 bucks I have the roller nuts too.

BTW That bridge and nut have epoxy holding them.

To remove use a solder gun to heat up the brass, also use something to prevent scratching, from vice grips or similar to remove it. Try to pull straight up as wiggling will destroy the cut out area.

In the short term, use some nut grease or graphite to lube the brass notches.

YouTube Channel
JB Bobbitt

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2022 10:20 am    

Brian Evans wrote:
.... sustain but even as low as a couple of degrees works fine (think of the break angle of the string under your steel, it's like nothing)

My one-time experience makes me think otherwise. I have a bridge-bender set-up very similar to the OP's pic (string-through body, sharp break). After installing the benders there is a significant drop in volume and sustain on the two strings.
D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2022 6:29 am    

Regarding tunings to use with Certano benders: I tried several tunings, D with two raises, G with two raises, that hybrid G/D tuning where the benders bring the guitar UP to dobro G tuning. I'm trying another approach with lighter strings, with the primary tuning is E6 (BC#EG#BE) and the levers bring it up to an A chord (BC#EAC#E) almost like E9th pedal steel tuning for an easier "thinking" process.
Robert B Murphy

Mountain View, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2022 8:36 pm    

I used to use the G to A, B to C tuning you describe on a dobro with a Bigsby palm pedal but there were too many technical issues and it was awkward to use standing up. I played a 7 string G6 tuning and used the behind the bar bend on the B string after that for a long time. If there is a device with a downward bend I might try taking the G down to F# but in the mean time there is the forward slant.