| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  0.10 G# string
Frode Bjoernstad

Oslo, Norway
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2006 3:10 pm    

I tend to break the 0.11 string on my Sho bud from time to time. So today I bought some extra 0.10 gauge strings and exchanged the 0.11 when I changed strings. My guess is that this wont break that easily. I hardly feel or hear any difference, and if any to the better. (the pedals seemed smoother, but it's probably just my head, and the exitment of a new set of strings)

Does anyone else use 0.10's?

I don't have any extra problems with breaking strings, and I have never broken one during a show, but i figured it is better to be safe than sorry..

Frode

------------------
http://www.myspace.com/pangferdig
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2006 3:16 pm    

I went the other way--to .012. Been using them for a few years. Basically I perceive no difference in breakage. But I prefer the sound. My theory is that the gauge/tension relationship pretty much evens things out. The 12 needs more tension to bring to pitch but it has more beef (mass, strength.) Result? Even Steven. The 10 has less strength but needs less tension. Even Steven.
In theory, for the 10 you should have needed to increase the pedal travel a little or tune the pedal at the changer (the 12 needs just a hair less than the 11.)
Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2006 3:25 pm    

I use a .010 and have for many years. I started because I thought of the same idea. Checking some of the other players gauges I found that many use the .010 as well. As a result I find that the .010 breaks less often. I play quite a bit, many times 3 nights a week and the .010 breaks in about 3 or 4 weeks. Some times not at all as I change strings very often at least once a month.
Frode Bjoernstad

Oslo, Norway
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2006 3:26 pm    

You are probably right about the even steven thing. That makes sense actually. I'll keep the .10 on for now and see if I like it. keep em thoughts coming.

(what is it about Brooklyn and pedal steelers Jon? I have met Hoffnar a couple of times in NYC, I took Greg Mcmullen out for whalesteak here in Oslo a couple weeks ago, and next week Jon Graboff is playing here with Ryan Adams. the alternative Nashville? )

frode

[This message was edited by Frode Bjoernstad on 29 September 2006 at 04:27 PM.]

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2006 5:42 pm    

As I recall, the .010 was the standard size back in the 1970's.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2006 6:00 pm    

Lot's of 10's users. They definitely soften the pedal pull. I always thought they sounded a bit thin. I also went to a 12.

Interesting story though...the late Dale Wagner was visiting our steel club and was invited to sit in. He was liking the sound of the Mullen/Tubeworks rig I was playing, and asked to play it. Near the end of his set, the 3rd let go. When I pulled out a 12 to change it, he laughed and said a 10 was his choice. I never thought Dale's tone was thin, for sure, so there went that theory....but I'm still using the 12.

Whatever works for you. It's nice to have choices, huh?
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2006 9:29 pm    

Back in the 60's we used .009, in the 70's .010 and now I use .0115. I have never tried a .012.
Jerry
James Martin (U.K.)

Watford, Herts, United Kingdom * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2006 12:24 am    

Frone, Would I be correct in thinking that you are not using Jagwire strings? They solved my string breakage problem on the third string and every other string for that matter,worth a try!
Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2006 2:22 am    

FWIW, another 'angle' to 'factor in' is that a larger guage string, such as a .012 will require less travel from the changer to raise it the half-tone from G# to A than will a smaller guage - in other words, a larger string will have to 'bent' less by the changer - Conversely, a smaller guage string, such as a .010, will require more movement from the changer for the G#-to-A raise, and consequently will be 'bent' moreso than the larger guage.

~Russ
Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2006 4:42 am    

Jeff Newman turned me onto the .012 guage string quite a few years ago, seems to last much longer, I change my strings about once a month just to be safe. I have not had a string break while out playing for many years. I usually use either Jagwire or George L, both work great for me.

Ernie http://www.hereintown.net/~shobud75/stock.htm

------------------
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2006 6:32 am    

Another vote for the .012 gauge. Been using them for a long time. No breaks....even after 2 months. Before that, .010s and .011s snapped frequently.
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2006 7:14 am    

I just switched to a 12. All that tension - I feel dangerous!
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2006 7:38 am    

I tried a .010 gauge for a while and disliked the thin tone. So I went the other direction to a .012 and have stuck with that for several years now. I also use some heavier gauges on the lower strings also. Very similiar to Buddy Emmons.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2006 7:45 am    

I also use a 0.10 for the high G#. I used and 0.11 for years on my old ShoBud but when I got my BMI they seemed to break more often than I was used to. I changed to a 0.10 and no more problems. It sounds OK to me and not thin at all. I bought a set of pedal steel strings which had a 0.12 for string 3 and tried that but it didn't feel right or sound right to me but I am a Mooney fan and do like a thin sound so maybe that's it.....JH in Va.

------------------
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2006 8:18 am    

These days I think the choice is governed more by our preferences in tone than the breakage issue. I use 12s and 11 1/2s, because I like the thicker sound. They break about as often as 11s. Never tried 10s, but the 11s are already too thin for me. However, some people adjust their picking force so that 11s don't sound so thin. I just find it easier to go to the higher gauges, which with today's strings seem to work okay. If you have to go to a lighter gauge to avoid breakage, one solution to the thin sound is to also down gauge the other unwound strings a little to better match the sound of the 3rd string.

[This message was edited by David Doggett on 30 September 2006 at 09:19 AM.]

Rich Gilbert

Freeport, Maine
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2006 9:26 am    

I also use a 12. Breaks way less and more importantly, the tone on the G# string is noticeably fuller. When I used an 11, it always seemed like my G# sounded thin compared to the rest of the strings.
Per Berner

Skovde, Sweden
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2006 3:32 am    

To me, 011 has always been too quiet, so 010 would be totally out of the question.

The big question is, why don't pickup manufacturers offer staggered pole pieces, which could provide an even response all over (also eliminating the imbalance between the thickest unwound and thinnest wound strings)?

As I understand it, adjustable polepieces require a totally differnt pickup design, which would alter the tone, but staggered magnets can't be that difficult? If we're talking E9th, two types to choose from would be necessary - for wound or plain 6th string - but that should do it.

I believe Truetone can do them on request, so why can't everyone do them as standard? I can't imagine anyone protesting such a change.

(On the other hand, most of those who make Strat pickups with staggered polepieces have yet to grasp that 99 per cent of Strat players use a plain third string, and have been doing so since the stone age...)

------------------
ยด75 Emmons p/p D10 8+4, ca '72 AWH Custom D10 8+3, Hybrid Zum coming soon, Peavey Nashville 1000

[This message was edited by Per Berner on 01 October 2006 at 04:33 AM.]

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2006 4:05 am    

I'm gonna try a .012 today, to see if it will indeed do a full tone lower from G# to F#.
Physics can be fun.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2006 11:54 am    

i've had good luck with 12's but i've gone back to 10's for a long time....just easier, less tension. maybe a thinner sound but i only use the two middle strings anyway....plus, you can rob the guitar players stash of 10's if you break one. interestingly enough, however, i rarely break any strings anymore....used to break alot in my early days as a steel player....i don't know why.
David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2006 11:45 am    

.012 users..... any problem with sustain on the larger string above the 12th fret?

...and how many string breakings that required surgery to remove the string from your left hand

...asking only cause I'm thinking about making the switch, but have quite a bit of tension in my life already

Hey Chris, I gave Brownie a set of Jagwires.... think he'll put them on?

------------------
Dave Wren
'96 Carter S12-E9/B6,7X7; NV 112; Fender Twin Custom 15 ('65 reissue); Session 500s; Hilton Pedal; Black Box
www.ameechapman.com

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2006 9:36 pm    

i would...! i could use a new jaguar!
Darrell Owens

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2006 10:05 pm    

.0115 string guage on the G# string works great for me. The guitar may have a lot to do with the string breakage. I had an older guitar that broke the G# string - no matter what I did, and it always broke at the worst time. I have a new Emmons Le Grande III and have no string breakage problem with the .0115

Darrell Owens