| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Milkman The Amp 50W + Cab vs. Fender 68 Twin RI
Eric Duarte

Santa Cruz, California
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2022 12:25 am    

First post here from a beginner who just ordered a Fender 800 from reverb with the dream to get off the ground playing this instrument. I don’t have any friends who play PSG so I don’t really know what amp would be good to start off with. I’ve read A LOT of threads on this forum and love the community and advice on Amps, but I don’t know what’s a good call for me.

Since I play 6 string electric, I own a blackface deluxe reverb reissue and also a Milkman The Amp 50W. I have come across a good deal on a Silverface Fender Twin Reissue locally that I don’t want to pass up and that’s why I figured it would be helpful to reach out here for advice.

My plan is to be practicing at my house once my instrument arrives and jamming with my neighbor who plays acoustic guitar and sings - for now. Eventually I want to play a show with my friends locally at parties for giggles.

In case this info helps - I was inspired to spend the dough on a PSG and additional gear by vintage sounding steel on Sturgill records. Saw Sturgill a few years ago headline High Sierra Music Fest and his steel player and that whole experience blew my mind! Also Lasers Lasers Birmingham’s “Warning” record and Sarah Shook’s “Sidelong” Record inspired me. I like playing Americana, outlaw country, and psychedelic music.

My question is, what rig would be solid for a complete beginner messing around trying to learn the basics and jam a little?

Do y’all think it’s wiser to spend $700+ on a milkman 1x12 cab? Or buy the Fender Twin for $750? Is there something different I should consider outside of those options?

I love the look and the vibe of the twin reissue. Seems like many players here play vintage twins, not reissues. I love the small package and high quality of the milkman products made locally here in the bay. Dave Zirbel has a video on YouTube of him playing steel through the same 50W milkman which got me excited because Dave rules.

Btw, If anyone in Santa Cruz or anywhere near SF would let me buy them a beer or lunch in exchange for pointers on how to start making noise, I’d be glad to meet up!

Planning on going to the NorCal Jam/Meetup posted on the events page in Sacramento on March 26th. Looking forward to it!

Last edited by Eric Duarte on 16 Feb 2022 12:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2022 6:37 am    

Eric. It depends on your tastes and budget. If you glean the pages on the forum you see lots of opinions. A dedicated steel amp like the Peavey Nashville 112 is very popular and seen at many steel shows with lots of users. Either of those you mentioned will be fine. The Boss Katana 100 was getting traction a few years ago and they are cheap on the used market. I have a little of everything including the Katana, Fender Twin Reverb from 74, new Tonemaster Twin, Peavey Session 400 and a 1000, etc including rack units. Last year I bought a Telonics TCA 500. Pricy amp but versatile. They will all do well on any job. You have to be the judge of the tone you're after. Look listen and see what gear they use and then decide.
Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2022 8:32 am    

Hi Eric, You already own a Milkman 50? You are already good to go.
Cheers!

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2022 12:01 pm    

Hi Eric. I agree with Bud, you’re set with the Milkman. I use one all the time on gigs, it sounds fantastic especially with a vintage JBL speaker. I would recommend using The Amp and only looking at a power phrase should need suffice (big loud gigs!)
Eric Duarte

Santa Cruz, California
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2022 12:25 pm    

Thank you all so much for the advice. I am stoked I luckily already have a solid amp by chance. I loved using the amp for 6 string especially with the headphone option for playing at night when my wife and dogs are asleep. Now I just need a cabinet Smile

Sorry for the life story in my original post leading up to my question lol.

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2022 4:33 pm    

You are set already. The Fender reissue would be a MAJOR downgrade.

Santa Cruz, California
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2022 9:52 pm    

Thanks, Bob. That’s what I needed to hear. I don’t know what I’m doing haha. I passed on the reissue.

I’m kind of gathering the gear (used and new) remotely and figuring stuff out on my own because the nearest shop to talk to someone is 7-10 hours away. There’s only one steel related item on Craigslist in the whole Bay Area!