| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Slow down app recommendations
Lloyd Graves

New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2022 10:52 am    

I am currently using Music Speed Changer (MSC), a free app to slow down songs, shift pitches, etc, when learning songs. But the more you slow a song down, the choppier it gets, and it's not very easy to maneuver where I am in a song to get a good loop going. Also, if I've changed pitch, speed, or set a loop, none of that is saved when I come back to that song later.

MSC does have the ability to make playlists and it is easy to import songs into the app, both of which I like.

Anyhow, what apps are you all using, would you recommend them, and why? I'm hoping to find an app that can slow things down without the song getting so choppy, ease of setting loops, and the ability to save changes when you come back to a song.

Thanks much.
Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2022 11:03 am    

I used Amazing Slow Downer for years. I switched to Anytune a couple of years ago but believe it is Mac only. Either one works great.
Sebastian Müller

Berlin / Germany
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2022 1:32 pm    

Hi Lloyd,

I like Anytune for setting up playlists that I can modify so that the songs are actually in tune,
did that for a lot of 78s recordings that I have.
Best sounding version is Ableton Live, it is pricy but it is a full DAW, soundquality is the best I know when set to complex.

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2022 2:08 pm    

AUDACITY does that. And it's free

Post  Posted 13 Feb 2022 2:56 pm    

transcribe
Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2022 3:12 pm    

Don Downes wrote:

My free recommendation too. Try it, the "change tempo" under the effect tab. It is great and it does not get choppy! The "change pitch" is also good when needed.
Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2022 3:26 pm    

and don’t forget Youtube can be slowed down also

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2022 5:14 pm    

Transcribe! The website: seventhstring.com
I have been using this software for 20 years. IMHO it is still the best for slowing down music. It will slow down most common audio files as well as the audio from most video formats. It will speed up, slow down, and change keys. It has a slew of other features that are handy for those doing note for note transcriptions. You can download the fully functional version with a 30 day trial period from the website. The license key is $39.00.

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2022 5:58 am    

Joe A. Roberts wrote:
Don Downes wrote:

My free recommendation too. Try it, the "change tempo" under the effect tab. It is great and it does not get choppy! The "change pitch" is also good when needed.

I also use Audacity for both tempo and pitch changes when needed.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2022 6:24 am    

For mobile devices, nothing beats Anytune Pro. It even allows you to focus in on specific instruments in a mix and isolate them to some degree. It’s amazing. For PC, I find Transcribe! to be the best, but Amazing Slow Downer is also very good.
Lloyd Graves

New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2022 5:47 am    

Thanks for all the feedback.

I've used Transcribe in the very distant past and have little recall for using it, but I don't have a laptop to use it on now, anyhow. And now that I look at it, I remember using Anytune on my ipod Touch a few years back. It was good, but that device is really old and "stuck" with what it has. Fortunately, it looks like there is an Anytune for android now, which is where I'm at for devices (I'm married into a PC family and there's no escaping!). So I'll try out Anytune on my current Samsung tablet and see how it goes, I guess.

The question now is how to get mp3s of all that older Hawaiian stuff. I've got a few cds, but no laptop that can rip them anymore.

I did all this stuff for banjo and harmonica years ago when my iMac, with CD player built in, was working, and when all those blogs (where you could download mp3s of old vinyl and 78s) were up and running.

EDIT: I know you can slow down YouTube, but the sound gets warbled and there is no way to make a loop, unfortunately. So it isn't ideal.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 15 Feb 2022 12:59 pm    

To slow down youtube, use Airy to download the video and use transcribe to open it with their video player. I do this daily for youtube videos. then you have both slow down and loop for any youtube video.
Tal Herbsman

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2022 3:59 pm    

so 2 things:

1. My favorite software is the late great Riffstation Pro. you could slow the tune, isolate the instrument, loop and it had decent chord detection. Fender killed it off around 2017 but some google searching will find links to various copies floating around the internet.

2. then there's this thing for Youtube playing/slowing/looping which looks awesome:
https://vidami.com/
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2022 12:19 am    

VLC Media Player - https://www.videolan.org/ - has a simple interface with the capability of changing speeds (up or down) and looping. Plays a huge variety of different audio/video media, sort of a swiss army knife of media players as far as I'm concerned. I still run an older version, but I gather than one can also change pitch on newer versions. I guess it's time to upgrade. Oh, and did I mention - free, open-source, and cross-platform. I run it on windoze, macos, ios, and android. I dumped all other media players many years ago.

Of course, Audacity is also an excellent dedicated audio processor. It is a lot more than an audio player.

I also use fre:ac audio converter - https://www.freac.org/ - to quickly and painlessly convert between audio formats when needed, or to quickly convert videos to audio format. Another free, open-source, cross-platform application.
Michael Stephens

South Hadley, MA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2022 3:42 am    

I'd been using Amazing Slow Downer for years, but discovered Song Surgeon a while back. It's a lot better in my experience. For instance, it allows you to set start and stop points for multiple loops within a single clip, very easily. Highly recommended. Not free, but worth it.