| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Standard height of a Steeler's Seat
Jeffrey Snyder

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2022 5:18 pm    

What would you say is the standard height of a Steeler's Seat (Pack-A-Seat) from floor to the level top of the seat?
1973 Sho-Bud LDG-Round Front (3&4), 1976 Marlen D-10 (8&4), Emmons Legrande II (8&6), Marlen and Jim Dunlop Bars, Sho-Bud Volume, Emmons Volume, 1983 Peavey Nashville 400, 1989 Peavey Nashville 400, Quilter Steelaire, Catalinbread Belle Epoch Analog Delay, Peterson Strobo Plus HD Tuner, National and Herco Thumbpicks, National Fingerpicks
Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2022 6:23 pm    

20-21" to top of uncompressed seat.

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2022 9:59 pm    

The height of a steel guitar seat is very important to playing comfort. You must be able to sit long periods of time Learning, Practicing or gigging.

The height of the seat should be set to you the player, So your feet fit flat on the floor, (From bare foot to Cowboy boot, Which ever you personally choose), In the foot ware you play in.
You want your leg weight on your heels so you can raise the front of your foot to control the volume pedal, And pivot your other foot to operate the pedals. Your heels firm on the floor gives you better control of the knee levers too.

The seat for your comfort comes first, Then sometimes you have to raise of lower the guitar, So the guitar sits over your legs and the knee levers can be used properly.

Be sure your are comfortable, Playing steel can be habit forming. Happy Steelin bj
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2022 8:31 am    

All of what was said is right. My seats measure 21 and that seems to be standard. However the deck height of my steels varies. Some require adjustment of the rear legs for knee clearance. I prefer my steels be level. That said I'm not about to cut the legs on my seats because it's a comfortable height for my 6ft frame. Trade offs involves comfort vs playing height.
Jeffrey Snyder

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2022 6:54 pm    

My current seat is 22 inches, which has always caused me to play with the guitar tilted up from the back a bit to keep front/top of my legs from being right against the underside of the body. My first seat was lower.
1973 Sho-Bud LDG-Round Front (3&4), 1976 Marlen D-10 (8&4), Emmons Legrande II (8&6), Marlen and Jim Dunlop Bars, Sho-Bud Volume, Emmons Volume, 1983 Peavey Nashville 400, 1989 Peavey Nashville 400, Quilter Steelaire, Catalinbread Belle Epoch Analog Delay, Peterson Strobo Plus HD Tuner, National and Herco Thumbpicks, National Fingerpicks