| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  HELP needed understanding copedent adjustments
Zachary Schat

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2022 7:43 pm    

Hey y'all

So a friend of mine asked me to tune his pedal steel for him.

Simple enough I figured, being that mine's an all pull system. Didn't think about the fact that I've never run into an all-pull system. So I've educated myself enough to understand how to tune it. I've done all I can.

BUT....the F# is set on the RLR to raise all the way to an A....?
I'm still new to this so idk if that's standard. But all the copedents I've reviewed don't show an F# to A.

Is that standard? I figured it would be to a G like most. So if not I'm needing help understanding how to drop such a drastic raise.

Thank you for any and all answers!

Much love
James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2022 9:49 pm    

Mine is RKL with a half stop at G then G#
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 8:21 am    

There's a good chance the lever stop has moved, and the lever is now giving too much travel. Check to ensure the lever stop isn't loose, then reduce the amount of travel to prevent the over-raise.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 9:24 am    

That's a change I plan to add soon to just string 1. Gives a Bdom7 in open position at zero fret, that's my main foreseeable use. Also Esus4, and alternate way to using the B pedal for the same thing.
Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 12:46 pm    

Most common tuning for that raise would be to G#.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 1:34 pm    

Justin Emmert wrote:
Most common tuning for that raise would be to G#.

And the classic change must players had and eventually switched for more modern changes (string 1 F# > G#; string 2 D# > E) was the good ol' strings 1 and 7, both raising from F# > G, a zingy minor 3rd in open chords, and very useful dom7 note in closed chords.

I'd love to have a triple stop on string 1: F# > G > G# > A. Anyone have ideas on how achievable that would be?
Lee Gauthier

Victoria, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 2:43 pm    

John McClung wrote:

I'd love to have a triple stop on string 1: F# > G > G# > A. Anyone have ideas on how achievable that would be?

My guitar has an 11th changer finger that doesn't attach to a string, and is basically just a spring. I *think* the intention would be to use it for a half-stop when you don't want to have 2 changes on the same lever.

With my setup I'd try tuning the G on string 1 against the 11th "dummy" finger, and the G# against my string 7 change.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 3:08 pm    

Lee Gauthier wrote:
John McClung wrote:

My guitar has an 11th changer finger that doesn't attach to a string, and is basically just a spring. I *think* the intention would be to use it for a half-stop when you don't want to have 2 changes on the same lever.

With my setup I'd try tuning the G on string 1 against the 11th "dummy" finger, and the G# against my string 7 change.

That half-stop 11th finger is a brilliant design, from Bud Carter as I recall, I wish more steels had that feature!