| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  plans and drawings for Gibson Ultratone and Skylark guitars?
Kip Duff

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2022 6:43 pm    

I really like the look of the Gibson Skylarks- and I'm considering buying one. But the consensus seems to be that they don't have the same quality sound as the Ultratones, Centurys and others.

So I'm starting a build project for an Gibson Ultratone, Fender DeLuxe, or Skylark body clone (or whatever else I discover that I like). I have a great source for 1¾ wood slabs near me. Padaok, hard maple, mahogany, poplar, basswood, white ash- amazing. I can't find any building plan drawings. I did see some for the Ultratone in England (JAG), but apparently he's not selling to the US.

Does anyone have these plans- or know where I can get them?

Thanks, Kip.......

Last edited by Kip Duff on 29 Jan 2022 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2022 7:15 pm    

I really like my Skylark. It’s small, light, looks cool, and is comfortable to play. Honestly, if people want a lap steel that sounds like a Rickenbacher, they should buy a Rickenbacher. If they want a Gibson with the sound of a P90, or a Charlie Christian pickup, there are plenty of other Gibson lap steels out there.

Personally, I like that my Skylark sounds like a Skylark, a sound that is absolutely perfect for lightly amplified playing at home without disturbing anyone else.

Not to discourage your project, which sounds like it will be cool. Might be fun to buy yourself a Skylark, and then use it as a template for your build?

https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database
Kip Duff

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2022 8:54 pm    

Allan Revich wrote:

Might be fun to buy yourself a Skylark, and then use it as a template for your build?

Exactly. If I like it- keep it. If I'm not wild about it, try to clone the body and sell.
Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2022 10:10 pm    

Kip Duff wrote:
Allan Revich wrote:

Might be fun to buy yourself a Skylark, and then use it as a template for your build?

Exactly. If I like it- keep it. If I'm not wild about it, try to clone the body and sell.

Apparently, the main complaint is the pickup, so another option would be to put a hotter, newer, pickup in it. Keeping the original in the case for resale value.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2022 5:02 am    

The John Anthony Guitars (JAG) plans may be available on the Esty site:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/487356027/plan-to-build-gibson-style-century?click_key=4ce3c531cd02347d1c49aab2b338922f4dd9f74d%3A487356027&click_sum=3e879148&ref=shop_home_active_89&frs=1
Kip Duff

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2022 5:24 am    

Jack Hanson wrote:
The John Anthony Guitars (JAG) plans may be available on the Esty site:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/487356027/plan-to-build-gibson-style-century?click_key=4ce3c531cd02347d1c49aab2b338922f4dd9f74d%3A487356027&click_sum=3e879148&ref=shop_home_active_89&frs=1

That worked. Thanks....
Justin Wierenga

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2022 6:30 am     Skylark Pickup

My 1959 Gibson Melody Maker has one of the wide Skylark pickups in it, only featured that year, and the tone of that pickup is just absolutely amazing. Like a Tele on steroids.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2022 7:56 am     Re: Skylark Pickup

Justin Wierenga wrote:
My 1959 Gibson Melody Maker has one of the wide Skylark pickups in it, only featured that year, and the tone of that pickup is just absolutely amazing. Like a Tele on steroids.

I would concur that any perceived shortcomings in the Skylark's sound are less on account of its pickup than on its method of string mounting.
Kip Duff

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2022 8:56 am     Re: Skylark Pickup

Quote:

I would concur that any perceived shortcomings in the Skylark's sound are less on account of its pickup than on its method of string mounting.

Where the string barrels hook into the plate? Should go thru the body like a Tele or beefier plate?
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2022 9:34 am    

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=359531&highlight=melody+maker

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=329859&highlight=skylark
Kip Duff

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2022 12:53 pm    

Jack Hanson wrote:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=359531&highlight=melody+maker

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=329859&highlight=skylark

Thanks for the links. I've seen some of them over last week as I'm educating my self on all this.

Aggressive rock-n-rolly guitar riffs aren't my gig. I've seen some videos of someone playing a BR-9 and it sounded like ZZ Top- Papa Dafoe was in the same zone. I do real clean- but with a lot of reverb. And boy can the Vega and the Super Reverb provide. If I get off my ass and get better at Ableton Live, I'll post some tunes. Some slow bluesy, or wannabe spacey movie soundtrack hipster ambient BS.

I'm steering away from a Skylark (decent one at Guitar Center in Katy Texas). With the Gibson Ultratone plans that are on their way and the gorgeous wood at Austin Hardwoods, I've got a start. When I had my auto repair shop, a guy in the same building is a master wood craft guy. I think I can do all the small bits, but I worry about the tilting headstock. Haven't figured out how I would do it.