| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for my first pedal steel
Andy Amstutz

Estero, FL
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2022 8:29 pm    

Looking for a little bit of insight. Pedal steel has always been one of my favorite instruments to listen to and I'd love to dive in and learn to play it. I'm looking for some opinions on some good beginner-mid range guitars. I'd like to stay around the $1500 price range and not break the bank on my first one. Also looking more on the new side since I don't really know what to look for on the used side.

Sound wise, I like the classic country sound but also like the modern sound and listen to a lot of the Texas guys like Cody Johnson, Randall King,etc. I've been looking at some some guitars like the Zum Stage One (I've heard the wait is pretty long on this one), GFI S10 SM, Justice S10 Jr, etc. Looking for some opinions on these or some other options that I may not know about yet. Also, what's a good number of pedals/knee levers to go with. Like I said, I'm very green on pedal steels and don't know anything.

I appreciate any advice the forum could lend! I'd love to get a guitar I could grow into for a while and something that is a bit easier on total beginners. Thanks in advance!
David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2022 7:24 am    

Hi Andy. Welcome to pedal steel. Very addictive and a whole lot of fun to play. I don`t have any info on the ones you mentioned other then hearing good things. Have you looked at the " Brisco Bud" from Steel Guitars Canada? Might be another option. Would be in Canadian currency, better for you. And Al Brisco is a great guy to deal with. As far as pedal and knee levers, I`d go with 3 pedals and 4 knee levers. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your pedal steel journey.
Josh Moss

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2022 7:34 am    

3 pedals & 4 knee levers are the way to go. I've got a Zum Stage One and they're great guitars and worth the wait. However, I understand wanting to get a move on and get started learning. I don't have any experience with them, but the Justice Jr. gets a lotta love on the forum and is known to be a good guitar with not too much of a wait time. You couldn't go wrong with either. Good luck in your search!
Fender Silverface Twin
Peavey Nashville 400
K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2022 7:49 am    

I’ll put a vote in for Justice S-10 Jr. The newer version with the 3up3down changer is just perfect. 3 pedals, 4 knees for $1595. They are very solidly constructed, not flimsy like some other starter steels. It’s really a pro level axe with some corners cut, mostly cosmetic.. Contact Ron and talk it over.
KEVIN MAUL: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Per Berner

Skovde, Sweden
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2022 7:50 am    

5 knee levers would be my choice. Yes, it adds maybe 100-150 dollars, but makes it a lot more attractive if you decide to sell it.

Also, I would stay away from guitars that won't let you alter the copedent or add more levers or pedals if you should feel the need to later on.

I started out on a 3+1 pull-release guitar, which felt very limiting after just a few months. Traded it for an all-pull 3+6 with a triple raise/triple lower changer, which I should have gotten from the start.

I would look for a used late model S10 GFI, Williams, Carter, Desert Rose or similar, rather than some brand new student model with limited possibilities and bargain-basement looks just to save e few bucks. Quality tools are more fun to work with!
Brian Spratt

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2022 9:27 am    

I just went through the same process as you. New player navigating the overwhelming options and trying to decide what to buy to get started. You can find my thread that starts with my first post all the way through actually getting a guitar. My advice is this - if your budget is $1500, go with the Justice S10 Jr. and get 3 pedals and 4 knee levers. I ended up buying a used Emmons, but that was my attempt at (hopefully) buying the one guitar that I'll ever want to buy/play (cue laughter from old forum members at the new guy (me) thinking he'll only ever want one guitar - they are probably right, ha).
George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2022 6:29 pm    

I'm excited for you that you've decided to play this instrument - you will now be one of the few, the proud, the brave. I started 4 years ago and I love it.

I've picked up a couple instruments over the years, and personally I don't like to splurge a lot of money on a really nice instrument that I cannot play! I think there is some sense to starting out on a modest beater, then stepping up to a better guitar when you can appreciate it. Also, you won't know what you want in a custom built guitar at first, it will take a couple years to figure out what features and configuration and sound you really need -- only the "two-years-from-now-you" will know that. (A lot of people diss student models -- however, it worked for me)

** Since you probably won't be keeping your first steel, I advise to buy a used one -- I wouldn't wait for a new guitar to be built -- I myself bought a used GFI student single neck for about $1250, 3 pedals, 4 levers -- from eBay! -- I played it for a year or two then traded up to a really nice (for me) Mullen -- had no trouble getting rid of the student model for what I paid

** There is the issue of the configuration of the levers -- there are a couple of different ways people do this -- myself, I just followed what the most famous player, Buddy Emmons, did and figured that would be as close to a standard as I was going to get (E's on the left)

** Get on a plane and attend the nearest pedal steel guitar convention -- you will not regret it and your socks will be blown off by the players you see and everyone is real helpful
D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2022 6:07 am    

Get one soon. You'll learn a lot from your first one, and chances are you won't keep it anyway. One of the the things you may learn early on is what you don't like about it and what to look for when you trade for steel #2.
Larry Phleger

DuBois, PA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2022 1:03 pm    

IMHO I would recommend getting a good used, name brand steel. Jeff Newman once said you'll never wear one out, so if you find a used steel that has been properly cared for, it will last you for years. Most pro model brand name steels lend themselves to being upgraded. Also, you will probably get more bang for your buck buying a used pro mode. If you eventually choose to move up to a new steel, you will probably get more of your original investment back selling a used pro model than a used student model. Just some things to consider.
Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2022 3:57 am    

Hi Andy don't know if this might be of interest it would be in your price range and is 3 & 4. Email me and I can get you more info and pics.

Good luck
Barry

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2022 7:20 am    

George Biner wrote:

** Since you probably won't be keeping your first steel, I advise to buy a used one -- I wouldn't wait for a new guitar to be built -- I myself bought a used GFI student single neck for about $1250, 3 pedals, 4 levers -- from eBay! -- I played it for a year or two then traded up to a really nice (for me) Mullen -- had no trouble getting rid of the student model for what I paid

I think this point deserves emphasizing. The probability is high that you'll only have your first pedal steel until you get your bearings and start figuring out what you *really* want. Consider that you're actually *renting* it for a while. Or even, consider it as a sort of alternative savings account. All you have to do is buy one you can resell for what you paid for it.

I started with an MSA D10 Classic in playable condition. The E9th neck worked fine, then I ran into a few simple problems (something binding, a string overtuned) of the sort everybody who plays has to learn to fix. Later, I wanted the C6th neck to work right, and had to do a bit of fiddling with it.

I ended up doing a fair amount of refurbishing, changing the copedent as I wanted, and gaining a lot of familiarity with the bottom of the thing. In the end, I sold it for several hundred dollars more than I paid, though probably not enough to pay more than a buck an hour for the work I put in on it.

I can't tell you how glad I am I did it this way. I now have three wonderful pedal steels, and I know how to maintain them and do minor repairs. And I'm pretty sure I could get what I paid for any of them without much trouble, though none of them is for sale.

Heck, I'm even starting to learn to PLAY them in such a way that I don't suck all the time! Very Happy

--Al Evans

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2022 7:44 am    

Before jumping into the pedal steel pool, considering a low cost lap steel could be an option or even a cheap lead nut to raise string height so the bar doesn't hit the fretboard: ( https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/materials/nuts-and-saddles/grover-perfect-guitar-extension-nut/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2022-01-gp&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqNvrjMWs9QIV88mUCR3GeAGnEAYYASABEgIFCvD_BwE ).
There are a lot of lap steel techniques that transfer to pedal steel and it can help you can see if pedals is something you want to pursue.
Playing in tune and good vibrato is something that are the primary techniques on both pedal and lap.
Although most non-steelers don't hear it, I easily tire of people bull sh****** on the AB pedals until the next idea comes along.
Playing a lap steel avoids this trap.
Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2022 8:24 am    

Congratulations on dipping your toe into the PSG waters. Time to take a dive!

Some additional factors to consider.

-Pedal Steel is an expensive instrument. Will you likely have $ enough to buy a second steel in the forseeable future? If not, get the best you can now.

-How available is Steel Repair and servicing in your area? A good deal on even a respected used steel can turn into a headache if it needs servicing or setup and you can't get that locally. A new or very-lightly-used steel that is known for reliability and easy playing might be worth prioritizing. A modern steel will also be easier to do minor adjustments and servicing on yourself

-How much of a rush are you in? 6 month wait is not bad for an instrument you might have for a long time.

In my particular situation, I knew that I'd not likely have the funds for a second steel for a VERY long time (if ever) and that there was very little in the way of steel servicing available locally. I got in line for an Zum Encore S10 4+5 (1800 IIRC) and am glad to have done so.

It was brand new, sounds great and the mechanics are flawless and very easy to play. Further, looking ahead, even if I get a second steel (probably a D10) the Encore is such good quality that it will likely still be a usable steel for any time where I only need one neck and want to travel lighter. Additionally the copdent is adjustable and, Encore's are so in demand that they can be sold for almost as much used as new!

5 years later and I'm still incredibly happy with my steel.

All this to say, consider your own situation and location and see what you really need. All the Steels you mention are spoken well of here. If you can find a used one or buy a new one I'm sure it would serve you well.

I will point out that like it's big brother the Encore, the Stage One is worth the wait and re-sellable for almost it's entire purchase price if you upgrade or decide to quit. However, it's by no means the only good option for you.

Best of Luck!

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2022 9:10 am    

There are a lot of recent threads on the general subject of "What pedal steel should I buy?", including for beginners. The forum search function is kind of messed up right now, so here are some of those -

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3050877

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=367224

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=362428

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3055735

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3006542

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=375931

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=353398

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=373071

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=370178

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2981774

You'll see that there is no lack of diversity of opinion on this! I advise reading, careful thinking, asking pointed questions, and patience. If you can, find a few you can try out. But admittedly, that's not always easy to do. But if you think this through carefully, there are good options that you should be able to sell for close to what you paid if you want to move on or move up.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I think the most important thing is that a beginner pedal steel should hold tune well, pulls should raise/lower to pitch and return to pitch well, and have enough of the standard basic changes to get started on. I think the Justice Pro Jr. sets a high bar on the function vs. price curve, with 3 pedals, 4 levers in a 3-up, 3-down all-pull design for around $1600. You also have the option to opt to lose a pedal or knee lever and save $150 for each decrement if your budget is real tight. But 3+4 sounds like it's in your budget, and that is pretty much the de-facto standard E9 setup.

I like and play nonpedal steel too. But if you have the itch for pedal steel, I doubt that a lap steel will scratch that itch. It certainly didn't for me.
K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2022 9:19 am    

Although I still think the Justice is best bang for your buck, that blue Sierra looks like a very well made machine.
KEVIN MAUL: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2022 9:28 am    

Yeah, I meant to add - I basically learned on a Sierra S10 similar to the one Barry is offering. It was an excellent guitar all the way around - a little heavy but solid as a rock, and I thought it sounded very good. My avatar still shows that guitar.
Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2022 12:57 pm    

Thought I'd post a couple of more Pics of my Sierra it is a single 10 3P and 4K 3 raise and 2 lower Emmons setup it is the Olympic and has folding legs it does have a small chip right end back corner pic included.

Thanks Barry

Estero, FL
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2022 2:11 pm    

Thank you all for the insight, it is much appreciated! I think I'm going to go with the new Justice Jr. Seems to be a good guitar for the money and it'll be brand new so I won't have to worry about any maintenance or fixes of a used guitar. I'm excited to get learning!