| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GFI SD10 RKL 6th string tuning Question
Elias Quirino

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2022 3:19 pm    

Hello all,

I recently changed my keyless GFI SD10 with strings that I got for Christmas. My question is, when I try to tune my RKL lever it also changes the 6th string G# string. This happens when I turn the tuning nut. I need need for my RKL to drop to a F# from G# when the lever is engaged. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Eli
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2022 4:34 pm    

Is the new 6th string a .020W or .022W ?

The GFI can just barely lower a wound 6th from G# to F#, and only after rearranging the lower-rod for max throw on the changer. You may even have to turn the lower-return spring upside-down to avoid having that spring scraping on the lower-scissor. All that is very easy to do on a GFI when you know how, but if not you better stick to a plain 6th string.
Elias Quirino

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2022 4:45 pm    

Hello,

Yes, it's a new Jagwire .022W 6th string out of Lloyd Green set of strings. Thank you for your help.
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2022 4:47 pm    

I have that same set on my GFI Ultra keyless. Works and sounds fine.
Elias Quirino

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2022 4:58 pm    

Thanks agaim for all your help. I have only been playing about a year and there are many things about this instrument that can be overwhelming, but I love it anyway. Have a good evening. Eli
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2022 5:30 pm    

Yes it sounds like your steel was set up to pull and lower a "Plain" 6th string. And you replaced it with a "Wound" 6th string; therefore you need more distance to the stops to pull and lower the wound.
Do you know how to do that?? If not; the KEYLESS GFI guys on here can help you. I only know "Sho~Bud".
Ricky
Elias Quirino

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2022 5:45 pm    

Hey Ricky,

No, I am not familiar with how to make the that adjustment to my GFI. Sounds a little more involved, but I am eager to learn how though. Hopefully some of the GFI guys will add their input as well. Thank you for your help, Eli

P.S. so quick fix would be just to replace the 6th string with a plain string? Thanks
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2022 6:31 pm    

Yes that is a quick fix; to replace with plain, as long as you didn't try to tune that wound too much and mess up where the nylons were or split tune screw....but don't let me add more confusion...so just change back to plain and Play on.
Ricky
Elias Quirino

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2022 6:47 pm    

Awesome! Will do. Thank you for the advice. Eli
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2022 9:33 pm    

Hi Eli, While I was doing some research on Jag Wire Lloyd Green string sizes, I see Mr. Davis (Ricky) added a post.

I agree completely with Mr. Davis on the quickest and easiest fix. Replace the 6th with a .020 plain string.
The larger 3rd string could also be a problem

In researching the Lloyd Green strings, Most string sets list the 3rd as .011 diameter Lloyd Green set list 3rd string .0115, Meaning 9 percent larger string diameter.

A 6th string in some sets is .020 plain, The Lloyd Green set has a .022 wound string. The wound string's pull is based on the strings core diameter which is around .012 diameter with about .005 X 2 winding to obtain .022 diameter. Making the wound string pull area 29.7 percent smaller string diameter. This difference would require some work under the guitar to make it tune up properly.

Between the larger area of the 3rd string and the smaller pull area of the 6th wound string core, It would require some changing of pulls on bell cranks, Changing stops, And moving some pull rod positions in the changer to set the guitar up proper to use Jag Wire Lloyd Green String sizes.
As Georg Sortun posted above.

I Have a GFI S12 Ultra with Keys and S12 Ultra keyless. If you have any questions, Send me a private message with phone number. Good Luck and Happy Steelin.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2022 3:10 am    

GFI's are set up at the factory with SIT Buddy Emmons signature Stainless Steel (wound) strings. That set uses a .022 Plain for the 6th string.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2022 3:44 am    

Summary -- you should definitely get comfortable doing fine tuning with the nylon tuners. But any time that it seems that you need to adjust a nylon nut a lot, something is not right. Small changes in string gauges from one set to another, from one brand to another, will require small touch-ups of the pedals and levers. But a change from an unwound 6th string to a wound 6th is a very big change -- never mind the gauge numbers. Apples & oranges as applied to wound/unwound.
There should be a red-flag warning on new steels about this -- it is a common mistake for beginners who have no reason to know to check their new string sets and compare them with what is on the guitar.
Elias Quirino

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2022 6:34 am    

Hello all,

I want to say thank you to everyone for all your help and advice on my string issue I am having. It makes me happy to be a member of such a tight-knit community that is willing to offer help in time of need. Thanks again everyone, Eli
Elias Quirino

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2022 1:31 pm    

UPDATE:

Changed 6th string to a plain string as was recommended and my PSG is right as rain again! RKL is dropping my G# to F# like before. Thanks again guys, Eli
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2022 6:46 pm    

Awesome work Elias; now "Play On" !!!!
Ricky
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2022 7:39 pm    

Great Eli, Now you got your steel happy.
You will be happy. Good Luck and Happy Steelin.