| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fractal Axe 3 With Pedal Steel
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2021 7:21 am    

I've had a Fractal Axe 3 for a few weeks now and it seems to be great for pedal steel. The effects, amps and speaker.cab models are slanted more for guitar so it took some effort to dial out all the distortion and fizz in most of their presets and amps. I used the Fender Tweed Deluxe, Bassman and Vibroverb for most of my initial recordings.

I added a separate section for the Axe with the Eminence PF350 Impulse Response cab models as they really make this rig shine for pedal steel!

Fractal AXE with pedal steel

Here's a sample recorded with the Fender VibraVerb model:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/AXE%20FX%203/Vibra%20CB.mp3

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2021 8:13 am    

Indeed, sounds great Gregg.
I've always been impressed with Fractal's stuff. Even their volume pedal is impressive.
I assume the Fractal Axe is a preamp and that the Eminence Impulse cab is a powered speaker?
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2021 11:59 am    

Greg, your reviews are awesome. Everything is covered and wow what a cool rig. Sounds great to my ears.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2021 6:37 pm    

Jim, the Fractal has separate blocks for the amp and "cab". The amp is modeled, not sampled, right down to the AC supply variac settings, tube type, tube biases, tone stacks, preamp and power amp components. Additionally Fractal provides extra settings if you want to use them, that were not on the original amps.

The "cab" is in the the form of an impulse response, or "IR" and includes the speaker and speaker cabinet. It is obtained by sampling actual speakers in cabinets and creating an IR that represents the response of the speaker/cabinet. The cab is not powered.

You can pick pick any amp and combine with any speaker or even use multiple amps and speakers in one preset. Most Fender tube amps from tweed to silver face are included as are many JBL series speakers.

Larry, thanks! It's a cool rig but perhaps a bit complicated to learn. My setup has not at all addressed the challenges of playing live with such a unit using a powered cabinet. For the studio it's a lot easier than using real amps though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Steve Hotra

Camas, Washington
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2021 2:40 pm    

Sounds great!

I'm on the waitlist for an FM9. I play guitar in a lot of churches where I need a lot of delays and ambient reverbs.

I'm hoping to downsize from my 8 pedals to the FM9. And set up specific blocks / scenes for my Rittenberry and West Coast 8 string lap steel.

Thanks for sharing the clip.
Amps: Mesa Express 5:25, Jazzkat Tomkat & Boss Katana head / various cabs.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2021 6:24 pm    

I am on the FM9 waitlist also. That and the FM3 would seem to be a lot more gig friendly than my rack mount.

There are a ton of Class A tube amps in the Fractal library including the Fender Champ that should work well for lap steel. You can have multiple amps and cabs in the same preset and switch between them by swapping amongst 8 scenes per preset or just by using a foot switch or Fractal foot controller.

One sound I can't get out of this rig so far is the Univox Super Fuzz. Others have come close to it by combining distortion and octave blocks.

Let me know how the FM9 works out for you when you get it!
Steve Hotra

Camas, Washington
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2021 12:43 pm    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
I am on the FM9 waitlist also. That and the FM3 would seem to be a lot more gig friendly than my rack mount.

There are a ton of Class A tube amps in the Fractal library including the Fender Champ that should work well for lap steel. You can have multiple amps and cabs in the same preset and switch between them by swapping amongst 8 scenes per preset or just by using a foot switch or Fractal foot controller.

One sound I can't get out of this rig so far is the Univox Super Fuzz. Others have come close to it by combining distortion and octave blocks.

I will.. I joined the Fractal Audio forum. Maybe I'll see you over there, too. Thanks again.
Cappone dAngelo

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2022 9:30 pm    

A few weeks ago I got a Fractal FM3+FC6, since I recently joined a band (on 6 string) that plays completely ampless with electronic drums, with all monitoring through IEMs.

So far I'm very impressed by the FM3 - both the tones and the functionality. It takes some time to learn the functions and to dial in the tones (it's incredibly tweakable), but I've already had one rehearsal and don't feel like there's a discernible tonal compromise compared to my tube amp rigs (at least not in that particular setting).

I got the FM3+FC6 instead of the FM9 since I want the option to use just the FM3 by itself, like for musical theatre gigs where the floor space can be VERY limited.

I haven't tried it on PSG yet, but am optimistic that I'll be able to get some great tones.
Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2022 7:46 pm    

I sometimes use an FM3 for recording. It’s a wonderful piece of gear! I generally run each of the main outs into two 1073 inspired channel strips with eq (Aurora Audio GTQ2). I tend to roll off just a touch of the ultra high end, which in my opinion is responsible for the “digital fizz” many people talk about. I also use two 1176’s after the channel strips. I do not care for compressor pedals with psg. I don’t use the FM3 live, just for recording.

The reverbs in the Fractal units are spectacular.
Cappone dAngelo

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2022 2:28 pm    

Charley Paul wrote:
I sometimes use an FM3 for recording. It’s a wonderful piece of gear! I generally run each of the main outs into two 1073 inspired channel strips with eq (Aurora Audio GTQ2). I tend to roll off just a touch of the ultra high end, which in my opinion is responsible for the “digital fizz” many people talk about. I also use two 1176’s after the channel strips. I do not care for compressor pedals with psg. I don’t use the FM3 live, just for recording.

The reverbs in the Fractal units are spectacular.

Nice! I don't have full 1073s but I do have the BAE 1073MP (i.e., just the pre without the EQ) - would likely try that for some warmth/saturation and then EQ ITB. Unfortunately I've had about 100 new songs to learn on 6-string this month so haven't been playing much steel ... hopefully get back to it soon, including trying some tracking with the FM3.
Matt Kidney

Galway, Eire
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2022 6:15 am    

I'm using the Ax8 with my PSG.

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2022 8:18 am    

The FM3 may be the best value on the market and likely would have been all I really needed to buy for my needs.

The High end fizz? interesting! I now realize that there are two prominent types of distortion in the Fractal stuff. Overall distortion from the presets overdriving the power amp on purpose to achieve early breakup. That was easily fixed by make the adjustments mentioned on my web site. The high end fizz I'll have to go back an play with the EQ a bit and maybe that will make my presets even better with steel guitar.

That bit of distortion and fizz, if not dialed out, is a minor thing with a standard guitar, maybe even desirable. But with pedal steel it creates a major catastrophe when multiple strings are played and it gets really worse as you go up the fretboard.

The first few hours I played my steel through the Fractal all I got was a raspy tone and that sinking feeling of having bought just another box optimized for rock guitar players. I've got a Fender Steel King, tube Princeton Reverb, and a tube based Allen Encore amp in my studio and this covers all those with ease for recording with no mics or studio sound artifacts. It also covers all of my effects boxes except the Univox Super Fuzz.
Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2022 10:32 pm    

Try using a parametric eq block instead of an amp block.
Steve Hotra

Camas, Washington
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2022 5:47 pm    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:

Hi Greg
After a 11 month wait, my FM9 all arrive tomorrow.
I'm pretty excited about it. There will be a learning curve, but I'm ready. I plan to use the FM9 editor. And explore the presets before I buy anything.

Do you know when yours is coming?
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2022 8:30 pm    

I got an invite fro the FM9 and am going to pass since the FX3 is all I need and I only play at home and in the studio. Not to mention that I just ordered another new pedal steel guitar so that will occupy me for a while.