| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Goodrich Baby Bloomer - Power Requirement?
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2021 10:25 am    

Anybody know what the supply requirements are for the Baby Bloomer? No info on specs on the Goodrich page.

I'm trying to find out how many 'gizmos' I can drive with the integrated 9VDC, 200mA supply built in to the Quilter Steelaire. That's a great feature, wish it had a little more power.

Last edited by Bill Terry on 16 Dec 2021 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
kevin ryan

San Marcos, California
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2021 10:59 am    

Bill you should be ok. 100mA -200mA is fine
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2021 11:20 am    

Thanks Kevin!

It definitely works as it is now, but I'm thinking about maybe adding one or more effect/gizmos onto that same power supply, and I was wondering about the actual spec for the Baby Bloomer so I could total up all the effects and see if 200mA provided by the Steelaire is enough (with a bit of margin).

I can measure it, but wanted to avoid the hassle if you guys already know what the max supply current would be. Actually, if you do have it, I'd recommend you add it to your specs for the device here:

There will probably be other guys combining a Baby Bloomer with other pedals on one supply, and it's important to know what its requirement is in that case.

No worry, as always thanks for the prompt response, you Goodrich guys always provide top-notch support!
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2021 7:01 pm    

Well, 200 mA really ain't very much! Maybe enough for 1-3 effects...and maybe not. Distortion and fuzz boxes and preamps don't draw much. But reverb, echo, chorus, and equalizers draw a LOT more. Generally, if a box has a battery compartment, it's fairly low draw. If it doesn't, and demands an external supply, it's probably fairly high.
Mike Auman

North Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2021 8:56 pm    

Bill, based on the Goodrich website description (JFET) I'd guess the current requirement at well under 25 mA, probably closer to 10-15 with a lot of that being the LED. There will be a power-up surge of 2 or 3 times the operating current but only for a second or so. A budget of 50 mA would be generous.

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2021 7:11 am    

Thanks for the info guys. At the moment, I've got an old DD-33 Echo and the Baby Bloomer on the 200mA supply. The DD-3 is very low current, just 35mA ( https://www.boss.info/us/products/dd-3/specifications/ ) and it and the BB work fine as is. I was thinking about replacing the DD-3 with something else, maybe a Delay + Reverb (the Quilter reverb is ok, but I've used other pedals I liked a little better), so I was wondering what the power budget would be with the BB connected. I still may measure the BB just to know, but I expect it's pretty low. As Mike suggested, 10's of mA maybe? If I do, I'll post it back here.

However, as I've started researching, (and as Donny mentioned) most, if not all, of the Delay / Reverb pedals require well over 200mA. So it looks like an external supply is going to be required... OR .... I could just leave stuff alone and practice more?? Smile
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2021 8:53 am    

Just fyi, Keeley Caverns (delay + reverb) claims 110 mA and Nux Atlantic 120 mA .

Source:
https://stinkfoot.se/power-list
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2021 8:57 am    

Thanks Jon! I didn't see those.. I'll check it out.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2021 9:04 am    

Still putting you too close to your 200 mA. That's just a shame that Q didn't go for a more robust supply.
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2021 9:08 am    

Yeah, agreed. I can't imagine making it a 1A supply would have been much of a cost adder.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2021 9:15 am    

And while I could definitely use the Quilter reverb ....it's not awful...., every one (in the four amps I own or owned) falls short, for me. On long sustained notes, you can hear modulation wavering the decay. I always check the ceiling fan. It's that kind of sound, or like AC power fluctuation. On the band stand it would not be audible. But to keep from going insane, I have to use an external verb.
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2021 9:20 am    

That's a bit like my experience with the Quilter reverb as well. I can live with it, but I've definitely used other outboard reverb units that I like better. We're just never happy are we? Smile
Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2021 11:34 am     Re: Goodrich Baby Bloomer - Power Requirement?

Bill Terry wrote:
Anybody know what the supply requirements are for the Baby Bloomer? No info on specs on the Goodrich page.

I'm trying to find out how many 'gizmos' I can drive with the integrated 9VDC, 200mA supply built in to the Quilter Steelaire. That's a great feature, wish it had a little more power.

Hi Bill,

How do you like the Baby Bloomer in combination with the Steelaire?
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2021 8:47 am    

Hi Marco,
I like the Baby Bloomer with the Steelaire a lot, but to be honest, I like it in front of every other amp I've used it with (TM Twin, Session 400). I really can't tell you what it is or does that I like so much, but when I turn it off I immediately want to turn it back on. I read a lot of reviews before I bought mine (from respected players) and that was a common comment from many. It's kind of hard to put your finger on what it does.

I guess I could say it's 'warmer' sort of, but it's more than that. The Goodrich guys designed it around an FET circuit, and FETs are more tube-like when driven a bit. That may be the magic. I've read some guys didn't care for it much, so YMMV.
Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2021 1:28 pm    

Thank you Bill.