| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Removing roller nut on Carter
Ron Mishler

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2021 1:04 pm    

Is there a special tool or something that you can use to grab the shaft to pull out the the rollernut? I did it on my other Carter but I forgot how I did it, anyway any advice will be welcome thanks.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2021 1:28 pm    

A tiny pin punch and small tack hammer should do it.. If you don't have a small thin punch a finish nail with the point flattened will work. Remove all strings . I would put a bit of penetrating oil on the shaft and rollers beforehand.. A few taps should get the shaft started out a ways so you can grab it with a pliers and pull it clear.. DO NOT bugger it up. The Carter setup should have no corrosion like old steels used to have..

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Ron Mishler

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2021 5:45 pm     Rollers

Thanks Bob any tips on cleaning the changer I purchased CRC Electric motor cleaner which leaves no residue... my plan is to tape it off good and then tape towels over the paper and doing out in my carport shouldn't take long to drip out and dry and then I'll use synthetic triflow....anyway any tips will be appreciated thanks.
Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2021 8:50 pm    

This was a good pictorial series on pulling the changer axle etc. You can ask Al Brisco about this, he loves to talk about Carters, there's a few other Carter experts on the forum, I'll have to remember some names tho.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=357386&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2021 6:21 am     Re: Rollers

Ron Mishler wrote:
Thanks Bob any tips on cleaning the changer I purchased CRC Electric motor cleaner which leaves no residue... my plan is to tape it off good and then tape towels over the paper and doing out in my carport shouldn't take long to drip out and dry and then I'll use synthetic triflow....anyway any tips will be appreciated thanks.

Sounds like you are not planning on pulling the changer.. Pulling it is more thorough of course, but may not be needed especially on a Carter.. They don't seem to get real dirty, and IMO the electric motor cleaner should get it sufficiently clean.. Thats how I would do it as well, at least try it before I pulled the changer out. I have done many brands that way and a can of cleaner takes a lot of gunk out quickly. Good luck.

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Ron Mishler

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2021 11:56 am     Close

Close discussion....