| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thumbpicks
John Castelletti

Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 1:16 pm    

I am going to lean on the collective knowledge a little bit here. I really like the feel and response of the blue Herco Thumbpick but the blade is too short for me. Is there anything else out there thats similar but with a longer blade?
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 2:45 pm    

Perfect Touch or Perri's Leathers picks are shaped slightly different than the Hercos, but they're the only ones I know of with a longer blade. But if you're real industrious, you could buy the Herco Lights, and cut and shape them as you like.
Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2021 3:06 pm     Hey There

Fred Kelley slick picks or steed picks are great and not expensive.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2021 8:52 pm    

Fred Kelly Regular thumb picks have a similar shape and feel to the blue Hercos except that they stay much tighter on the thumb and the material is somewhat different. They come in Delrin and Polycarbonate - I strongly prefer the Delrin because the material feels slightly softer to me and they essentially never break - I've been using them for more than 10 years and I have never broken one yet - or at least I lose one before it ever breaks.

These come in two sizes - medium and large (or long, I forget the denotation). I'd say the medium has a blade about the size of the Hercos, but for me it has a longer 'effective length' because it doesn't scoot around my thumb like the Hercos. The large/long does have a bit longer blade, but it is also wider and less pointed, and thus doesn't feel quite the same to me when striking the string. I definitely prefer the regular/medium sized Fred Kelly Regulars.

I also use the Fred Kelly slick/speed picks sometimes - they are my go-to on guitar and slide guitar - but the blade on either of these is shorter. The slick pick blade is wider and stubbier, while the speed pick has a tiny little nub of a blade.

I wrote more about these picks here - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=371316 and here - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=374934